Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Plains Raceway SCCA Freedom Sprints

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 04:00 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Default High Plains Raceway SCCA Freedom Sprints

High Plains Raceway SCCA Freedom Sprints

This July 4th weekend in Colorado.

On the road again.....in Blackwell, KS, spending the night in a Walmart parking lot....watched Focus, decent movie. When you are 73'+ length you don't have a lot of choices...at least it's a 24 hour Walmart, we were able to buy some good movies for CHEAP!!! I've got Talladega Nights and the whole Dirty Harry series!

Anyone else from here running?
Old 07-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Had a blast! Got 2nd Saturday and then...for Sunday:

First SCCA Majors WIN! 1st place in GT2! Victory lap with the checker, won two Hoosier tires with contingency, thank you Hoosier! Thank you to my wife/crew chief and Gregg Rodgers and crew at Pinnacle Autosports! With this weekend's finishes I'm first in the SCCA Majors Mid-States Conference. Great times!!

Nice writeup: http://www.scca.com/articles/1996826...at-high-plains

Interview: http://www.scca.com/videos/1971146

Video of qualifying lap from Saturday morning, definitely leaving time on the table but it worked! On-track starts at 2:44, had a little agricultural work at 6:58 (after completing my hot lap)...wheeeeee!

Old 07-08-2015, 11:34 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Congrats! Tell us about your car. What is that? How does it's mods compare to the C5 Vette in GT2?
Old 07-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Well dammit dude, you shoulda run Super Unlimited with NASA at Pueblo on the 4th. Woulda save you some miles. I was there. You could have smashed on the lesser powered roundy round and AI cars that ran there too.

Now, having watched your video, I do have some observations. I'm sure you're aware, after the fact (like me), of the apexes you missed. But what puzzles me the most is why did you enter every corner mid-track and not track out? Aside from that, you need to be on the gas ASAP, preferably before T3. I've been freight trained here before, and if you have stiff competition and don't nail it perfectly you're going to get passed. . . unless you're super confident on the brakes entering T4. Which I am. And it helps a lot. Climbing the hill, AKA high plains drifter, you should carry enough speed to unload the car and carry a 4 wheel drift that borderline interferes with your braking entry to T8. On the corkscrew, you need to be full track out and consider banging curbs (depending on what your car tolerates) to straighten out the exit and carry more speed. I've been off at T1, T3, T6, T8 (usually sideways spraying dirt screaming 'Merica!), and T10 (do not recommend). It's a great track and I've run a 2:06.7 in my CMC car on cycled out tires. The next time I visited was like 1000 degrees and I couldn't best that time. I'll face it again this October with a much much better setup and I hope to crush that time. Glad to see you guys coming so far north. We had 2 for CMC, 1 from AI, and others from other classes since this is your NASA off season ( I assume because people spontaneously combust in the heat down there in July/August).

Last edited by Supercharged111; 07-09-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Congrats! Tell us about your car. What is that? How does it's mods compare to the C5 Vette in GT2?
Thank you! It's an ASA/GTA car, legal for GT2 in SCCA Majors/Nationals and I can run as GTA for SCCA Regionals. Weight is ~2,600 lbs without driver, 420 HP to the ground, LS1 ASA-spec motor, Jerico 4-speed, quick-change rear end, tube frame race car, full safety (very appealing to me!!) and great bang for the buck. Not sure about C5 vettes in GT2, don't have experience with them.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Super - I'm chasing points for the SCCA Mid-States Majors...contemplating Pueblo in a few weekends for the Mid-States finale. Yeah - I definitely could have been a LOT faster...the Qualifying session was my *fifth* time on track, yeah, my first time to this track. Great place, definitely want to come back and run cleaner/faster!! You're right about the heat...not sure I even want to to a track day/test day at my local track....next race is the SCCA Runoffs at Daytona this September...unless I run Pueblo...

Get notified of new replies

To High Plains Raceway SCCA Freedom Sprints

Quick Reply: High Plains Raceway SCCA Freedom Sprints