Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best/smoothest harnesses

Old 07-02-2015, 06:29 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Best/smoothest harnesses

We have been racing in endurance series races for a number of years. Quick driver changes are essential to the success of the team. With that said, we have tried several harnesses and have yet to find one that we really like or think operates really smoothly. (GForce, OMP, Sabelt, Schroth)

We bought and have been using an OMP harness this year with the HANS shoulder belts and 2" lap belt which we really like. The issue with the OMP is the operation of the adjusters is not smooth and can be difficult to release. Then, after our last race a couple of weeks ago, I discovered that one of the lap adjusters was broken. A spring which holds tension on the pawl cam had broken and potentially could release the belt.

OMP did not have any in stock in the country so we ordered up a set of Sabelt harnesses. They came in today. After one look at them, I have decided to send them back. They look awful and function even worse. I've seen China knock-offs that look like they are of better quality.

So my question to the forum is this...what are the best/smoothest FIA rated belts/harnesses out there?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 06:42 PM
baddogz28
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been very happy with my Crow Cam-Locks. Comfy, quick.
Attached Images   
Old 07-02-2015, 08:19 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Schroth has a nice enduro harness (nicer than their other stuff). If you've got the budget for it, Willans is the way to go.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:58 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Schroth Pro-fi II
Old 07-03-2015, 07:05 AM
fmcokc
Pro

Thanks guys, we tried the Schroth pro-fi harnesses and we're somewhat disappointed in the smoothness of the adjusters. We feel that the OMPs felt better.
When I was at a race at Daytona a little while back, I remember seeing some harnesses that were super smooth like butter but I can't remember who made them.

I have been wondering about the Willans harnesses.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:20 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Schroth here, also.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Xian
Racer

Those "butter belts" were probably Willans. Their harnesses really are phenomenal. Everything from the webbing to the adjusters to the release latch is too-notch.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fmcokc
Thanks guys, we tried the Schroth pro-fi harnesses and we're somewhat disappointed in the smoothness of the adjusters. We feel that the OMPs felt better.
When I was at a race at Daytona a little while back, I remember seeing some harnesses that were super smooth like butter but I can't remember who made them.

I have been wondering about the Willans harnesses.
They are Willans.

Schroth and OMP are nice but nothing compares to Willans.

I just put a set of OMP HANS belts in one of our Formula Atlantics, nice belts but they don't pull down like my Willans. And the shoulder belt releases don't work smooth like the Willans.

I've been using Willans for a long time, when I get in a car with other belts, I always find them slightly disappointing.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:35 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
They are Willans.

Good to know!

But since I just installed a new set of belts, I can only hope I will remember this in 2020.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:28 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
They are Willans.

I just put a set of OMP HANS belts in one of our Formula Atlantics, nice belts but they don't pull down like my Willans. And the shoulder belt releases don't work smooth like the Willans.

I've been using Willans for a long time, when I get in a car with other belts, I always find them slightly disappointing.
Funny, I always thought this about my Schroth Profi II's. A few years back I switched to the new Simpson belts with the fancy material that doesn't stretch when wet for two cycles and hated them. Went back to the Profi and all is right again.

Now i hear that there are even better ones? So how much am I going to have to spend to get these magical willans belts when mine are due?
Old 07-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Funny, I always thought this about my Schroth Profi II's. A few years back I switched to the new Simpson belts with the fancy material that doesn't stretch when wet for two cycles and hated them. Went back to the Profi and all is right again.

Now i hear that there are even better ones? So how much am I going to have to spend to get these magical willans belts when mine are due?
Yea, Jon, the Simpson's suck.

The Schroth (and the OMP) are great belts, not worth the $$$ for the switch unless they expire. I'll buy another set of Willans though even with what they cost.

Willans Club series start at $350 and up.

Willans Silverstone's (like mine) have the better adjusters. They run $450 to $650.

A lot of the Formula 1 drivers use Willans.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:52 AM
fmcokc
Pro

Ok so Wiliand is the way to go. We had bought the OMP harness with HANS shoulder straps and 2" lap belts. We really like the narrow lap belts as they seem to fit better and hold your hips more securely. WILLIAMS makes a harness with 2" lap belts and a different harness with HANS shoulder straps both not both. Crap!
Old 07-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Xian
Racer

Personally, I'd rather have the 3" shoulder straps. They work fine with HANS and will also let folks run alternate H&N (DefNder, NecksGen, Rage, etc).
Old 07-05-2015, 03:02 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Originally Posted by Xian
Personally, I'd rather have the 3" shoulder straps. They work fine with HANS and will also let folks run alternate H&N (DefNder, NecksGen, Rage, etc).
They are fine if you have the time to adjust them but when you are trying to get a driver out and another driver belted in the HANS belts do make a significant difference. They just fall into place instead of having to be placed in the slots.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Xian
Racer

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I've done plenty of Enduro Races with the 3" shoulder belts and a variety of H&N types without any issues getting the driver belted in.

Get notified of new replies

To Best/smoothest harnesses

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best/smoothest harnesses