Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Datalogging/lap timing at HPDE's

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:54 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Datalogging/lap timing at HPDE's

At a recent HPDE, an announcement was made that the event was educational in nature, and competition of any type was not permitted, and that lap timing was not permitted. The way it was announced, it led to a conclusion on my part that individual data logging devices (which include lap timing) like TrackAddict or Harry’s lap timer were not permitted. Also, a friend of mine had mentioned that the use that individual data logging devices (which include lap timing) would invalidate the individual track insurance most of us buy for our cars at these events. So I put mine away for the event and decided to look into the issue further.

I spent a day making contact with a head person at two organizations that rent tracks and conduct HPDE events. I also contacted the insurance company from whom I purchase damage/collision insurance for my car at the track. All three persons replied that there is not a specific restriction against a participant using a personal [individual] data collection device that included lap timing. One person from the first organization said they get their liability insurance from Lloyds of London for their events, and he said if the Promoter of the event provides, facilitates, or records timing or provides or facilitates competition, then the event is NOT considered a High Performance Driving Education (or Experience), [HPDE]. He went on to say personal recording, including timing by an individual participant is not considered providing or facilitating, so they have no restriction on participants using iPhone timers like Harry's Lap Timer, or TrackAddict.

The head of the second organization (where the announcement was made concerning lap timers) indicated that the announcement was intended to mean transponders that are used by multiple drivers with the intent of time trial type activities. Although he did not have the details of the liability insurance, he indicated that individual data logging devices (which include lap timing) in the individual participant's car would not be considered a time trial competition.

I also called the insurance company that provides collision/accident insurance for participants at HPDE’s. His words were almost the same about facilitating or providing timing or competition, and that using individual data logging devices (which include lap timing) is not considered providing or facilitating, and if someone insured by them were using such a [personal] device at a HPDE it would not invalidate their coverage, nor the coverage of other participants that have their insurance at that event.

Now keep in mind that the C7 has this capability on-board as an OEM option.

What is your opinion, knowledge or experience on this?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:21 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I think you have done plenty of research, and reached the correct conclusion. People have been using stopwatches forever, and now the technology has provided much more sophisticated and cost effective options.

If you don't have a competition license, and your car is not completely track prepped with a comp. inspection, you cannot realistically be in competition or even time trials. Absence of a transponder is further proof.

Keep using your lap timer, datalogger or whatever, and have fun.

A word of caution: Concentrate on being safer, smoother and don't get to hung up on lap times.

"Faster than some, slower than others, but safer than most".

Old 07-06-2015, 10:40 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

And your your data logging as a TEACHING tool

If you are maintaining 1g in a right hand turn - shoot for 1 g in all right hand turns (example only)

Cut the track into sectors and try to improve your sector time (example only)

That sort of stuff helps a whole lot when combined with the video to see where you are on the track.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:46 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Personal lap timing and video is a great learning tool and good for those off-track incidents where you can look at your data, and see that in turn 5 at Road Atlanta, you were going 20mph faster than normal, and didn't brake earlier to compensate, and went of the track and hit the tire wall.

My experience. Great learning tools.

Get notified of new replies

To Datalogging/lap timing at HPDE's

Quick Reply: Datalogging/lap timing at HPDE's