Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time tracking stock Stingray @ VIR

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 04:03 PM
mallett435
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Default First time tracking stock Stingray @ VIR

I just finished a great weekend with the PCA group @ VIR (Full course). I'm coming from a stock 06 Z06 except Cup tires/track pads. I bought this Stingray w/ no MRC and left it 100% stock including tires/pads. Super impressed with the confidence you get from this car. I set a 2:09 lap time within 5 laps and less than 100 miles of seat time (minus drive to Danville). This is probably a 2:05 car with the right driver out of the showroom.

Fantastic bang for the buck, which all of you know. I ran in the Advanced black group with plenty of open track throughout the weekend. I love you can drive the car near the limit, which such high confidence. I'm not sure the C7 Z06 would feel the same. Anyway, here is a link of a couple laps I recorded.

Last edited by mallett435; 07-14-2015 at 04:04 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 07-15-2015, 11:58 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mallett435
I just finished a great weekend with the PCA group @ VIR (Full course). I'm coming from a stock 06 Z06 except Cup tires/track pads. I bought this Stingray w/ no MRC and left it 100% stock including tires/pads. Super impressed with the confidence you get from this car. I set a 2:09 lap time within 5 laps and less than 100 miles of seat time (minus drive to Danville). This is probably a 2:05 car with the right driver out of the showroom.

Fantastic bang for the buck, which all of you know. I ran in the Advanced black group with plenty of open track throughout the weekend. I love you can drive the car near the limit, which such high confidence. I'm not sure the C7 Z06 would feel the same. Anyway, here is a link of a couple laps I recorded.

C7 Corvette Stingray, PCA, VIR Full Course, July 2015 - YouTube

Can you tell us what your time was on the same course with the C6Z?
Old 07-15-2015, 12:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

What camera and view setting are you using? The view seems to flatten out the course and de-emphasize the hills. For example going up the back straight doesn't seem to be as steep as what I see when I look out the windshield and going down the roller coaster doesn't seem to be as steep.

Bill
Old 07-15-2015, 04:27 PM
VThokies
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Vey nice driving! I would be curious about how the brakes held up? It looked like you were carrying a lot of speed, deep into the braking zone at the end of the back straight?
Old 07-15-2015, 11:55 PM
mallett435
Pro

Originally Posted by moose.b3
Can you tell us what your time was on the same course with the C6Z?
I was about the same time, but it took a couple visits to get comfortable in the z06 compared to the Stingray. I think I ran a 2:08 with the z06 with ideal conditions and open track.

Less hp and more weight with the Stingray, too. I'm guessing a better driver could turn 2:05 or quicker stock, which is crazy good. I'd love to see Milner do a hot lap in it. Well done, GM!
Old 07-15-2015, 11:58 PM
mallett435
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What camera and view setting are you using? The view seems to flatten out the course and de-emphasize the hills. For example going up the back straight doesn't seem to be as steep as what I see when I look out the windshield and going down the roller coaster doesn't seem to be as steep.

Bill
Hi Bill! It was a GoPro Hero 3. I'm wondering if the default setting is a wide angle view. I agree it looks much different in person. I'll check the settings tomorrow. Thanks for the catch!

Chris
Old 07-16-2015, 12:19 AM
mallett435
Pro

Originally Posted by VThokies
Vey nice driving! I would be curious about how the brakes held up? It looked like you were carrying a lot of speed, deep into the braking zone at the end of the back straight?
I heard and read all the news about stopping distances, but assumed fade was the real question. No question, they are better than a C6 z06 comparing stock pads. I eventually switched to Carbotechs (i believe XP20 f/ XP12 rear) on the z.

Initial bite was neck snapping good. However, pedal didn't maintain the same feel through the braking zone. I was running out of tire and brake near the end of 30 min sessions with fresh Motul 600 Dot4.

I prefer to see the car change with baby steps. So, next is pad upgrade with an R compound tire. Test... Then, adding headers, intake, and tune. Test. ..Driver mod throughout. Also, more safety equipment first. Stock belt and air bag aren't adequate.

Btw, back straight from data logger was peaking at 150 mph. Leaving oak tree in 2nd. Definitely big braking zone at the end to a 50 mph turn. Friends GTR was hitting 160+.

On the way home, front brakes felt like they were grinding, but had plenty of pad. I haven't checked them yet, but I hope I didn't warp/crack the rotors already. They had less than 500 street miles on them.

Last edited by mallett435; 07-16-2015 at 12:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To First time tracking stock Stingray @ VIR

Quick Reply: First time tracking stock Stingray @ VIR