Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Default C6Z Brakes

I've done a TON of searching and reading. I figured this would be the best place to ask the question. I understand that these aren't the best that's out there but that's Ok. Here's what I'm after.

My car doesn't see autocross, road racing, hdpe, or the like. Random dragstrip trip, and I'm looking for 1/2 and full mile events to attend.

The C6Z brakes are more of a visual atheistic upgrade with a benefit of reportedly improved braking.

I want to run a single pad conversion front and rear, and would like to keep weight down on the rotors to an acceptable level (gm rotors are not acceptable). What I'm looking for, mainly in a pad, is something that will be street friendly, but not get toasted aster making a 200mph mile pass or three. Is there a balance to be found here or am I pretty much stuck with one or the other?

Also looking for a lower weight rotor option be it 1 or 2 piece.

TIA folks.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:06 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

As far as pads, are you going to mine a little noise on the street? Carbotech has several compounds in the 1 piece design.

How much power does you car make?

What tires will you be using?

How many events a year?

For rotors I would look at dba 5000 series rotors they are 2 piece.

Below are 3 compounds that come to mind from Carbotech. I can give you a better idea of what works best when I get some more info from you.

Carbotech™ 1521™

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.

Carbotech™ XP8™

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 07-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

To answer your questions:

1. Some noise, depending on how bad, may be acceptable.

2. I'm at 825 to 850ish RWHP right now. Next motor will be a substantial amount more.

3. Yearly events will vary. I stay very busy with work. So probably 2 to 3 ragstrip trips and no more than 1 or 2 half or full mile events is what I expect.

One more catch. Dust needs to be as non corrosive as possible. The CCW wheels I ordered are an anodized finish and John specifically cautioned against Hawk pads for one, because if left unchecked too long the dust will eat at the anodization.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Saw the 1521 pads but my concern is how they would react if I was using them on the mile at 200+ to slow down given their 800* upper temp limit.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Saw the 1521 pads but my concern is how they would react if I was using them on the mile at 200+ to slow down given their 800* upper temp limit.
That's my concern too that's why I asked you those questions. The 1521 will work. Your only doing a 1 time stop and its a gradual slow down. The 1521 can not be run back to back to back from 150mph to 60 they will fade but a 1 time stop you will be ok.

My obvious choice would be for you to use the XP8. The XP8 is a little noisy on the street but not as much as the AX6 and the dust is a little less with the XP8.

Carbotech compounds are non corrosive. I agree with John about the Hawks.

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 07-16-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:25 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Not good. You need something more aggressive.

I run XP20's / XP12's on the the track and 1521's on the street on my C5 Z with AP T1 kit. I've tried coming off off-ramps a few times like a bat out of hell and somewhat duplicate the braking I've done on the track. Bad idea. I faded the 1521's bad from only 120 or so. Closer to 200 would be really bad.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:02 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
Not good. You need something more aggressive.

I run XP20's / XP12's on the the track and 1521's on the street on my C5 Z with AP T1 kit. I've tried coming off off-ramps a few times like a bat out of hell and somewhat duplicate the braking I've done on the track. Bad idea. I faded the 1521's bad from only 120 or so. Closer to 200 would be really bad.
This was my exact concern. Thank you for the honest feedback.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Brakes

Quick Reply: C6Z Brakes