Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Not all I had hoped for

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Beatnik
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 928nomore
I now have 4,500 miles on my 2015 1lz Z06 which I bought to track and replaced my prior 2007 2lz Zo6...Has anyone else been wondering were is the extra 150HP?
Despite "not overheating" the extra power disappears after the first fast lap after the intake and heat exchangers heat soak. We've seen it many times on track.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:58 PM
928nomore
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default update

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
My friend who has driven many cars and has a Z and owns a dyno tune place says an intake (Hallteck) I believe and 1/2 & 1/2 mixture of higher octane fuel are the key.

Says the intake is like 50HP and is a restriction mandated by CA emissions.

Two cheap solutions assuming they work
I just had the car to the dealer and he confirmed, that the car had thrown a code P1101 ( even though no lights came on ) this retarded the timing by 10-15 degrees and likely cost me 100-150 hp. The Chevy Tech told me the computer said the fault occurred at 12:41 pm at wide open throttle at 134 mph. The water coolant temperature was 241 degrees, the ambient air temperature outside was 91 degrees the intake air temp 115 degrees and the tank had 51% of its fuel left.

Possible causes were low octane fuel ( I put 93 in it always) or a malfunctioning Mass air flow sensor. He reset the code . Perhaps a Halteck would be the answer
Old 07-28-2015, 05:25 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 928nomore
I just had the car to the dealer and he confirmed, that the car had thrown a code P1101 ( even though no lights came on ) this retarded the timing by 10-15 degrees and likely cost me 100-150 hp. The Chevy Tech told me the computer said the fault occurred at 12:41 pm at wide open throttle at 134 mph. The water coolant temperature was 241 degrees, the ambient air temperature outside was 91 degrees the intake air temp 115 degrees and the tank had 51% of its fuel left.

Possible causes were low octane fuel ( I put 93 in it always) or a malfunctioning Mass air flow sensor. He reset the code . Perhaps a Halteck would be the answer

There's your problem.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:09 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
There's your problem.
Your car pulled a high % of it's power off the table to save a meltdown.

GM knows about it & will advise you that is working as designed.

I am starting to feel bad for the guys that put down their hard earned money for c7z. Not being a wise azz, seriously, I feel bad for you all.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:31 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Could very well be true. Sometimes you have to reset the brain to run faster. The other thing is the OP may not have been cornering as hard due to the car feeling different in corners so his corner exit speed was lower which reduces top end speed. There are a lot of variables when comparing two cars.

Bill
I went from 200 tread wear tires to Rcomps and the first three sessions I ran the same times as I ran on the 200 tread wear tires....I was baffled.

Last session of the day I tried to relax and let the car roll more entry speed, the 200 tread wear tires really wouldn't allow it.

After my brain overcame the higher entry speed(hard for me to do, I'm skurred) the lap times started coming down.

Your brain does get programmed as to where "it's limit" is. This is why a pro driver can hop in your car and whip your *** in it after you thought it was all tapped out for speed.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:01 PM
rjkc5y2k
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=SquatchMachining;1590105513]I have personally logged two individual C7Z's on the street, both heat soak, both pull timing. So they absolutely do. I really don't think the C7Z should have had a blower on it.. A direct injected version of the LS7 would have been bad *** and probably made 560-570 whp on engine alone if done correctly from the factory.[/QUO TE]

I totally agree a NA C7 Z06 would have been a better choice. I think this may have been an accounting decision. Rather than have two models for the C7 like a Z06 and a LT1 it was cheaper to have one model. One other thought is maybe a NA Z06 would have had emission issues due to the higher HP than the 6th generation Z06. Would like to have someone from GM Corvette division make a comment.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjkc5y2k
I totally agree a NA C7 Z06 would have been a better choice. I think this may have been an accounting decision. Rather than have two models for the C7 like a Z06 and a LT1 it was cheaper to have one model. One other thought is maybe a NA Z06 would have had emission issues due to the higher HP than the 6th generation Z06. Would like to have someone from GM Corvette division make a comment.
Here you go: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-the-c7.html
Old 07-29-2015, 09:48 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't figure out for the life of me why they don't go overboard on cooling for these cars, rather than just making it 'good enough'. Sure, it will weigh more, but not that much. The Germans seem to do it with consistency, but here we are 2 generations from the C5 and they still won't do it from the factory.

It seems to me that the words '100% duty cycle' aren't part of the engineering vernacular in Detroit.....
Old 07-29-2015, 10:58 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Originally Posted by LateBreak
I can't figure out for the life of me why they don't go overboard on cooling for these cars, rather than just making it 'good enough'. Sure, it will weigh more, but not that much. The Germans seem to do it with consistency, but here we are 2 generations from the C5 and they still won't do it from the factory.

It seems to me that the words '100% duty cycle' aren't part of the engineering vernacular in Detroit.....
The reason is simple, these cars are marketed as track capable cars but 95% of them are just putting around as a Sunday cruiser for 2k miles a year. Most people don't actually track the cars, so it either cuts into GM's profits or raises the cost of the car to include suitable coolers that most people won't notice anyway. GM has done the cost analysis and determined it can make more profit by just selling them as they are now and dealing with a few displeased track rats.

The other issue is that the bigger coolers would add additional weight and possibly drag, which would decrease fuel economy, which also sells cars. The styling may also be changed if they have to enlarge air intake ducts, etc.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:10 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Z06 Not all I had hoped for

I agree my 2002 911 turbo though far from a track star, will run a 25 minute session in Utah thin hot air and not budge the water temps.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:22 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by miracle_whip4130
The reason is simple, these cars are marketed as track capable cars but 95% of them are just putting around as a Sunday cruiser for 2k miles a year. Most people don't actually track the cars, so it either cuts into GM's profits or raises the cost of the car to include suitable coolers that most people won't notice anyway. GM has done the cost analysis and determined it can make more profit by just selling them as they are now and dealing with a few displeased track rats.

The other issue is that the bigger coolers would add additional weight and possibly drag, which would decrease fuel economy, which also sells cars. The styling may also be changed if they have to enlarge air intake ducts, etc.
Precisely.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:38 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Precisely.
If nothing else, sounds like an opportunity for the aftermarket.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:58 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Originally Posted by flash911
If nothing else, sounds like an opportunity for the aftermarket.
Yup, plenty of people still buy the car to make GM money and then the track rats pay more out of pocket to get aftermarket coolers, just like with the previous Z06s. One of the vendors on here will come out with an adequate setup for the C7 Z06.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:14 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The last few posts sum up 99% of car forums. We are a niche market in the end.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:55 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
The last few posts sum up 99% of car forums. We are a niche market in the end.
I think in one of the ask Tadge posts he said they've made 8000 or so C7 Z06s..........and we have what, a dozen people on hear complaining they overheat on track? I mean I guess it damages the image of the car because GTR fanboys and the like are quick to spread the word that the Z06 has issues, but that won't stop the average rich 60 year old American from still buying one so he can wax it every weekend, and so it's still not worth it to GM to address the issue.

I think the reason Porsche and BMW take a different stance on this is because of target demographics. I would say a higher percentage of their buyers actually track their cars and beat on them than Corvette owners.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:54 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think in one of the ask Tadge posts he said they've made 8000 or so C7 Z06s..........and we have what, a dozen people on hear complaining they overheat on track? I mean I guess it damages the image of the car because GTR fanboys and the like are quick to spread the word that the Z06 has issues, but that won't stop the average rich 60 year old American from still buying one so he can wax it every weekend, and so it's still not worth it to GM to address the issue.

I think the reason Porsche and BMW take a different stance on this is because of target demographics. I would say a higher percentage of their buyers actually track their cars and beat on them than Corvette owners.

Exactly!

PCA and BMWCCA

And Porsche is the best. Buy a GT3, get a free HPDE weekend!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:25 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Do a search in the C7 Z06 section for "overheat".....12 pages I think it was?

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 07-29-2015 at 11:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Not all I had hoped for

Old 07-29-2015, 11:26 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Z06 Not all I had hoped for

Originally Posted by bags142
Exactly!

PCA and BMWCCA

And Porsche is the best. Buy a GT3, get a free HPDE weekend!
Exactly, I instruct for PCA I can't believe how many people track their new Porsches, not just GT3s but reg 991 and 991S
Old 07-29-2015, 11:29 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

The Z07 should have been the "track rat", cut the crap off the car, boost cooling to go along with the carbon brakes and the aero kit.

Leave base Z06 for the waxers and retirees
Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

[QUOTE=FASTFATBOY;1590160570]The Z07 should have been the "track rat", cut the crap off the car, boost cooling to go along with the carbon brakes and the aero kit.

Leave base Z06 for the waxers

Fixed it for you. I don't know about the area you track your car, but around NorCal there are plenty of "retirees" that enjoy track days.

Quick Reply: Z06 Not all I had hoped for