Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question re Raybestos ST 43 compounds

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:52 AM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default ST43 pads and Rotor life

I am currently running ST43's, I have 8 hrs track time at Sebring (13 GS,M6) on my Centric Cyro rotors, they are done for. Is that a decent life span? Pads have another weekend at least in them.

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Nope, Raybestos ST43 pads are rotor-friendly........been using them for over 8 years, first on my Mustang, now on my C6z.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:16 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by speedwaywhite
I am currently running ST43's, I have 8 hrs track time at Sebring (13 GS,M6) on my Centric Cyro rotors, they are done for. Is that a decent life span? Pads have another weekend at least in them.
I currently have 21 track days (2 hours or more each day) or 42 hours on the current DBA 4000 T3 rotors on my 07z and they will probably go another day or two, so your experience does not seem typical. I was getting the same wear rate on my Mustang using the stock blank Brembo rotors, about 25 days or 50 hours. I usually replace them for heat cracking, not wear.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speedwaywhite
That isn't great but I gather Sebring is pretty hard on brakes. How good do you think your ducts are? To be fair I don't get much more than 8 hours of track time out of a set of rotors but they are better if they are "seasoned" a bit before track use.

I currently have 21 track days (2 hours or more each day) or 42 hours on the current DBA 4000 T3 rotors on my 07z and they will probably go another day or two, so your experience does not seem typical. I was getting the same wear rate on my Mustang using the stock blank Brembo rotors, about 25 days or 50 hours. I usually replace them for heat cracking, not wear.
That seems excellent. My concern with the DBA 4000 is that it seems restricted at the S bend where the hat joins the disc face (very different than stock) and the air outlets are not all that big. I have a set I use for the street and can't remember if they are directional. (I have a C5Z where there are both left and right rotors) OTOH, if the metal is better...... maybe that is the difference.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:43 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone running ST-43s on the front and rear?

Any thoughts on doing so?

I bought some ST-43s for both axels last year and haven't needed to use them yet. Wasn't sure how it would impact the brake bias front to rear, and wasn't sure if anyone thought that has actually tried it.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:52 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Been running ST43 front and rear for years.........rear end gets a little wiggly on hard stops w/o nannies, but otherwise seems to work well.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have always been concerned about running the same pads front and back as the better the tire the more the wgt transfer which mean's the rears can't handle as much brake torque as the fronts.

I had asked this on be huge brake question thread but didn't get any real suggestions.

OTOH I did learn that you have to look at the pad torque at different Temps to come up with a better idea of pad matches. Still not sure of how much hotter the fronts get than the rears so not sure of Temps either.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:00 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Been running ST43 front and rear for years.........rear end gets a little wiggly on hard stops w/o nannies, but otherwise seems to work well.
I concur, C5 Z06, running them front and rear. MASH the pedal at 135 and slow to 40 the car gets a wee bit squirrelly, but you you know it and expect it so it is completely manageable.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Since it doesn't look like the ST31 is for sale anymore, what are you guys running on the street? I can't seem to find an expressly compatible street pad to switch back to after the track.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:23 AM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi-Jurist
Since it doesn't look like the ST31 is for sale anymore, what are you guys running on the street? I can't seem to find an expressly compatible street pad to switch back to after the track.
Check with Tim at Porterfield Brakes. They have a street/autocross compound, the R4-S, which I believe is made by Raybestos.

Quick Reply: Quick question re Raybestos ST 43 compounds