Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 corvette any mods to make heal toe shifting better.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:51 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Default 78 corvette any mods to make heal toe shifting better.

78 corvette with a T56 Magnum 6-speed. I am trying to see if there are any good mod's to make heal toe shifting easier / possible for my little feet. I find the stock pedal's position's are not great for this. I have no problem in a C6 or C7 but my 78 pedals are just too far apart, I have enough room almost for my complete foot between the pedals.

I could use a wider gas pedal but I have not found anything for this car. What are you C3 guys doing to help this out ?
Old 07-21-2015, 08:32 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
78 corvette with a T56 Magnum 6-speed. I am trying to see if there are any good mod's to make heal toe shifting easier / possible for my little feet. I find the stock pedal's position's are not great for this. I have no problem in a C6 or C7 but my 78 pedals are just too far apart, I have enough room almost for my complete foot between the pedals.

I could use a wider gas pedal but I have not found anything for this car. What are you C3 guys doing to help this out ?
Old timers used to screw a piece of wood to the gas pedal to raise height and make wider, like a piece of quarter inch ply. The 63 Z06 in the museum has that and when I started there they were thinking of taking it off until I explained.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:10 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

On my '69 I made a new, wider gas pedal from 1/4" aluminum plate. I also played with the gas pedal height a bit (read: bending the pedal arm).

I'm currently using a later booster and MC with a non-adjustable pushrod, so I can't tune the brake pedal height like I could with the earlier booster. Should be similar to your '78. I find that the pedal heights are currently ideal for heel/toe, but the spacing is still challenging.

I also have small feet (size 8.5-9). What helped me most, was using a wider shoe. When I autocross, I have a pair of G-Force racing shoes; on the track I could never execute a good heel/toe downshift with these shoes, they're just too narrow, even with my wide pedal that I made. I tried my Sketcher's casual shoes, and the situation improved greatly. I wore them until the soles were about half-worn, and then dedicated them as my track shoes.

Last edited by 69autoXr; 07-21-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:03 AM
bradsvette57
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Just like 69 said, get wide running/tennis shoes. Try to find some without a lot of vertical height in the heel and without an aggressive tread pattern. Wear 2 pairs of socks and keep your laces tight.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:50 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Like the previous suggestions, try making the gas pedal wider. One other mod that you can make is measure your clutch pedal's drop distance to drivetrain disengagement, and then make a wooden block attachment to your clutch pedal to allow only that distance while shifting. (No need to go to the floor each time you shift.)

If you care to lose the rubber clutch and brake pedal covers, you can make metal extensions for both pedals as well. (Most aftermarket extensions come with lightening holes with raised lips for better traction.)

Hope this helps. Have fun with the T-56!

Last edited by mr.beachcomber; 07-22-2015 at 05:25 PM. Reason: tried to clarify the distance for clutch pedal drop was drivetrain disengagement

Get notified of new replies

To 78 corvette any mods to make heal toe shifting better.

Quick Reply: 78 corvette any mods to make heal toe shifting better.