Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW South Track at Pittsburgh (PIR)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:44 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default NEW South Track at Pittsburgh (PIR)

Just drove the new track addition at PIR last week.

I never felt like I found the perfect line through turns 5 and 6. I tried approaching T5 in the center of the track, and carrying some speed on turn in, and usually was a little wide at the T5 apex cone, then got tighter on the T6 apex cone, and tracked out toward the left. My LF tire didn't like that and was squealing pretty loud between turn in and the T5 apex cone(but always maintained grip).

My other method was to approach T5 on the left side, scrub more speed off (compared to the above), and turn in later and sharper, taking both apex cones T5 and T6 tightly (with a little drift to the left between them), then track out as described above. This method was no faster than the above, but the tires liked it better.

Both attacks required substantial braking approaching T5, and I crested the hill into the back straight (between T6 and T7) at about 73 mph. This with a 300 HP 1993 Corvette. Most other cars seemed to have better speed exiting T6. Is there a better way to handle this section of track?

Last edited by emptnest; 07-21-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:11 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Correction

I think that what I have called the T6 apex cone was actually a second apex cone for T5.

I had no issues at T6.

Quick Reply: NEW South Track at Pittsburgh (PIR)