Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Upgraded Sways for ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:09 AM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default What Upgraded Sways for ZR1

What to use? T1s don't seem to fit.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sway-bars.html
Old 07-22-2015, 10:28 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

What do not fit about them?
2 C6's, 5 different rear sway bars, each I had to use hose clamps on the muffler hanger/insulator to slightly raise the mufflers about 1/4", granted niether was a ZR1 but both had NPP. Seems the rubber sags after a while.

If looking for recommendations?
What bars work with your shocks?
What tires, what track?
Old 07-22-2015, 11:15 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
What do not fit about them?
2 C6's, 5 different rear sway bars, each I had to use hose clamps on the muffler hanger/insulator to slightly raise the mufflers about 1/4", granted niether was a ZR1 but both had NPP. Seems the rubber sags after a while.

If looking for recommendations?
What bars work with your shocks?
What tires, what track?
Rear bar doesn't have clearance around the lower part of the can. Not sagging, the bar is the issue. OEM bars have same hanger/clearance my other C6s did w/valved mufflers NPP & newer 2012 Z06 mufflers.

Simply put, want more bar for track use and associated mods. Car set-up varies per track as you likely know.

I'm hearing the rear T1 bar design was updated to fit better and has one hole not three anymore. I need to check into this.

Last edited by nolimits; 07-22-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:24 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I think the new version of the T-1's are adjustable, the old one's aren't unless they changed the adjustable version too. The front fit okay?

I can drop by and give you a hand when I get back from Monterey, I have NPP on my car if you want to compare.

Mike
Old 07-23-2015, 04:28 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
I think the new version of the T-1's are adjustable, the old one's aren't unless they changed the adjustable version too. The front fit okay?

I can drop by and give you a hand when I get back from Monterey, I have NPP on my car if you want to compare.

Mike
Mike you have T1s on your GS, ya lets talk. The alum bodies vary some but should be similar.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:50 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I have the GS bars, larger than the Z06 bars but probably not as large as T1. I have space for a larger bar and anticipate going larger later this year. I wanted to offer any assistance I could. One question, could the mufflers be mounted a little too far forward so there is limited room for the T1 bar?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:26 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OP is your car over or understeering? Are you running separate wheel/tire setup on track, if so what sizes? Looking at the options for the stock tire setup, some could really upset the balance.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:42 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
Rear bar doesn't have clearance around the lower part of the can. Not sagging, the bar is the issue. OEM bars have same hanger/clearance my other C6s did w/valved mufflers NPP & newer 2012 Z06 mufflers.

Simply put, want more bar for track use and associated mods. Car set-up varies per track as you likely know.

I'm hearing the rear T1 bar design was updated to fit better and has one hole not three anymore. I need to check into this.
I thought it was just the opposite, original had one hole, update had 3 holes.

I've the 3 hole bar I got about 5 years ago. On my c5z. Front also (no adjustments).

Send me the car & I'll test fit it.

Are there different t1 bars for c5/c6/c7?
Old 07-23-2015, 08:06 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Bars, sway BARS
Old 07-23-2015, 11:47 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by froggy47
I thought it was just the opposite, original had one hole, update had 3 holes.

I've the 3 hole bar I got about 5 years ago. On my c5z. Front also (no adjustments).

Send me the car & I'll test fit it.

Are there different t1 bars for c5/c6/c7?
Trying to get some facts. Called GM/Chev Perf Parts today, hard to find someone who knows these things well. I got forwarded to a dealer who sells the perf line. I'll try some more of the various forum vendors/modders and see what is said. Have seen posts about rear bar single hole vs three. Seems to me adjustability and the three hole version makes more sense as the more recent, although I saw a post otherwise, so goes the net.

C5 & C6 are same supposedly except for the update difference. I haven't heard anything about C7 T1s or equivalent yet.

Test fit, hah, stop by and we'll do an install video, that is of some cans with more clearance !
Old 07-23-2015, 11:57 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by insertclevername
OP is your car over or understeering? Are you running separate wheel/tire setup on track, if so what sizes? Looking at the options for the stock tire setup, some could really upset the balance.
For me Cup 2s work well as an arrive and drive so I just run them on the OEM ZR1 wheels. Just getting things set up and adding stuff, but oversteer has not been an issue at this point. Added camber kit and getting alignment how I want.

If you want an ideal track set up get some 18x10 & 18x13 with R7s or similar, good stick and contact area. I did this previously on C6Z with R6s and trailered. Sold trailer, with the ZR I want to just drive to events and keep it simple, dreaming on maybe.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:00 AM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
I have the GS bars, larger than the Z06 bars but probably not as large as T1. I have space for a larger bar and anticipate going larger later this year. I wanted to offer any assistance I could. One question, could the mufflers be mounted a little too far forward so there is limited room for the T1 bar?
Keep in mind its wall thickness for bars that matters. Diameter size can be deceiving.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:22 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Sam Strano can have bars made in whatever thickness you want, and theyll likely cost a heck of a lot less than the T1 bars
Old 07-24-2015, 11:45 AM
insertclevername
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For me Cup 2s work well as an arrive and drive so I just run them on the OEM ZR1 wheels. Just getting things set up and adding stuff, but oversteer has not been an issue at this point. Added camber kit and getting alignment how I want.

If you want an ideal track set up get some 18x10 & 18x13 with R7s or similar, good stick and contact area. I did this previously on C6Z with R6s and trailered. Sold trailer, with the ZR I want to just drive to events and keep it simple, dreaming on maybe.
I was looking at some of the aftermarket sway bar stiffness compared to your oem. With the factory wheels/tires I think you might get more understeer if you change them out(with options I looked at). If your killing your fronts vs the rears and want more rotation, I would add grip in the front. Looking at the oem c6z front bar, I would try that first. Just an idea, because I'm not exactly sure why you're looking to change sways. Usually attempting to add/subtract grip from front/rear while corner entry/mid/exit.

Last edited by insertclevername; 07-24-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:39 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Keep in mind its wall thickness for bars that matters. Diameter size can be deceiving.

Get notified of new replies

To What Upgraded Sways for ZR1

Quick Reply: What Upgraded Sways for ZR1