Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5/C6 Seat Mounting Bracket Options and the Differences Between Them

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 04:52 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Default C5/C6 Seat Mounting Bracket Options and the Differences Between Them

I have 3 different style C5/C6 seat mounting brackets currently available. I am starting this thread to help explain the differences between them.

The aluminum seat rail kits are designed for the lightest weight and those not needing sliders. Our kit allows a seat to sit as low as possible by providing some countersunk holes in the rear risers. This way no bolt head or nut protrudes inward preventing a seat from dropping any lower. A seat can drop all the way to the rail.

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail....d=C5C6MASR-T3F

On the C6, it is necessary to reroute the wiring harnesses under the carpet to get any flat rail to lay on the floor properly. If being 3/4" or so off the floor is acceptable, the steel bracket below may be a quicker, easier install. There are numerous mounting points for sub belts and two locations for side belts. If you mount stock seat belts to these locations and need mounting points for harness lap belts, the rear harness mount can also be used with them (this is the only part I'm not sure of current stock on). This bracket can be used with sliders or our custom side mounts shown in the video below.

http://www.marradind.com/C5_C6_Seat_Base.mp4

The product page below shows some options on its use'

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail.asp?prod=C56MBR

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail.asp?prod=C56RMS

A third option is designed to be used with sliders, has side belt mounting points and additional mounting points in the rear. If you need a sub belt mounting point farther forward, you could easily add a length of 1 1/2" flat bar across the side rails underneath and weld it in the desired location. This bracket sits lower in the rear and rises as you go forward like the stock rails.

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail.asp?prod=C56MBWSHM

Mark

Popular Reply

02-24-2020, 02:20 PM
stavanger
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 97 Posts
Default 2010 gs.

Clean the exhaust tips.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:20 PM
r0nd3L
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is perfect timing as I was going to contact you asking the same.

I'm leaning towards aluminum brackets as they look fancy. My question is, how do I mount the 6 point harness using that bracket? The steel brackets looks simple in that case.

Additionally, I have Brey-Kraus harness bar that has a rod mounting on the rear outer seat bolt, what are my options there?

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:52 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by r0nd3L
This is perfect timing as I was going to contact you asking the same.

I'm leaning towards aluminum brackets as they look fancy. My question is, how do I mount the 6 point harness using that bracket? The steel brackets looks simple in that case.

Additionally, I have Brey-Kraus harness bar that has a rod mounting on the rear outer seat bolt, what are my options there?

Thanks a lot!
You can mount the lap belts to the aluminum side rails. The aluminum rails have no provision for sub belts. Some people mount the 6 pt. sub belts to the side rails too, but that is up to you to decide. Mounting a harness bar strut would take modification and would be up to you to determine how to do that.

A C5 customer did the write-up below on how he mounted his Brey Krause bar and racing seat with one of our brackets.

http://www.marradind.com/C5-Z06-seat-install.docx

Mark
Old 07-23-2015, 11:31 AM
gandalf1969
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking at options for a C5 - putting in a fixed seat like a Cobra or Sparco. In an ideal world I would be able to get a light weight (aluminum?) solution with sliders and still be as close to the floor as possible. What is the best/closest solution? What are the weight differences between your options? How much height is lost when adding the slider?
Old 07-23-2015, 12:57 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gandalf1969
I'm looking at options for a C5 - putting in a fixed seat like a Cobra or Sparco. In an ideal world I would be able to get a light weight (aluminum?) solution with sliders and still be as close to the floor as possible. What is the best/closest solution? What are the weight differences between your options? How much height is lost when adding the slider?
The sliders I've seen are 1" tall, so they raise most seats that much.

If you don't require an FIA rated seat, the seat that sits the lowest with sliders is our LX1. It was designed so the center seating area can drop to the floor while still using sliders. The standard version is 16.25" wide at the hips (15" wide between the lap belt holes). The wide version is 17.25" (16" between holes). Both fit in a C6. I believe only the standard version fits in a C5 and slides past the seat belt retractor cover.

The picture below shows why sliders do not raise the height of the LX1.

A C6 customer provided these pictures of headroom gained.

This is a custom upholstered version of the seat in a C6 before the lap belt holes were added.

I will get the weights of the different brackets and reply again.

Mark
The following users liked this post:
jaki30 (03-27-2023)
Old 07-23-2015, 02:27 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

G - just go full retard and gutt the car. You know you want to, lol.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:41 PM
r0nd3L
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Placed an order for brackets! Thanks a lot for spending time on the phone explaining all the options.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:17 PM
gandalf1969
Instructor

Originally Posted by marrad
The sliders I've seen are 1" tall, so they raise most seats that much.

If you don't require an FIA rated seat, the seat that sits the lowest with sliders is our LX1. It was designed so the center seating area can drop to the floor while still using sliders. The standard version is 16.25" wide at the hips (15" wide between the lap belt holes). The wide version is 17.25" (16" between holes). Both fit in a C6. I believe only the standard version fits in a C5 and slides past the seat belt retractor cover.

I will get the weights of the different brackets and reply again.

Mark
Thanks for the info Mark. At this stage I'd like to see what you have for options with with a Sparco/Cobra seat in a C5. Thx.

G.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:44 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Thanks for the info Mark. At this stage I'd like to see what you have for options with with a Sparco/Cobra seat in a C5. Thx.

G.
Some threads regarding seat installs are below. I have about 8 sets of the aluminum rails in stock but only one of the flat steel base right now. I should have more soon.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-of-cake.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...installed.html

If you are using a harness bar with struts that come to the floor (at the rear seat mounting studs) modification will be needed. A write-up from a customer who used a third bracket we offer (currently in stock) is linked below.

http://www.marradind.com/C5-Z06-seat-install.docx
Old 11-01-2016, 10:22 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

the last link for "option 3" isnt working.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:47 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
the last link for "option 3" isnt working.
That's because the bracket modification is no longer necessary. The problem with the bracket was remedied.

Mark
Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Huck19
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 fitment for Sparco R100

Originally Posted by marrad
I have 3 different style C5/C6 seat mounting brackets currently available. I am starting this thread to help explain the differences between them.

The aluminum seat rail kits are designed for the lightest weight and those not needing sliders. Our kit allows a seat to sit as low as possible by providing some countersunk holes in the rear risers. This way no bolt head or nut protrudes inward preventing a seat from dropping any lower. A seat can drop all the way to the rail.

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail....d=C5C6MASR-T3F

On the C6, it is necessary to reroute the wiring harnesses under the carpet to get any flat rail to lay on the floor properly. If being 3/4" or so off the floor is acceptable, the steel bracket below may be a quicker, easier install. There are numerous mounting points for sub belts and two locations for side belts. If you mount stock seat belts to these locations and need mounting points for harness lap belts, the rear harness mount can also be used with them (this is the only part I'm not sure of current stock on). This bracket can be used with sliders or our custom side mounts shown in the video below.

http://www.marradind.com/C5_C6_Seat_Base.mp4

The product page below shows some options on its use'

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail.asp?prod=C56MBR

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail.asp?prod=C56RMS

A third option is designed to be used with sliders, has side belt mounting points and additional mounting points in the rear. If you need a sub belt mounting point farther forward, you could easily add a length of 1 1/2" flat bar across the side rails underneath and weld it in the desired location. This bracket sits lower in the rear and rises as you go forward like the stock rails.

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail.asp?prod=C56MBWSHM

Mark
Do you still make the sliders? I’m looking for a complete mounting package for the Sparco R100 or Corbeau A4 in a C6, street use.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2019, 08:58 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Huck19
Do you still make the sliders? I’m looking for a complete mounting package for the Sparco R100 or Corbeau A4 in a C6, street use.

Thanks
We offer sliders but they are normally used for side mounted seats. Seats with bottom mounted sliders have a fixed with dimension and our brackets do not have mounting locations set up for them.

This is an old post and our brackets have changed. Our current brackets are on our website.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:04 AM
B&W_Evader
7th Gear

Chasing down a knock in the front right suspension. Traced it to loose upper shock mount. Couldn't tighten the nut far enough and think the threads on the shock are damaged from it bouncing around. So, I figured I'd put some washers to close the gap. Hex socket on top of the shock stripped while removing the nut... Now, 4x new B8 shocks on the way from Rock Auto. Looks like everything the previous owner touched is screwed up. Hopefully the car will be back to 100% soon.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:22 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Replaced both serpentine belts. Then took a 25 mile test drive.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:20 PM
stavanger
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 97 Posts

Default 2010 gs.

Clean the exhaust tips.

The following 10 users liked this post by stavanger:
11GSCoupe (12-07-2023), 12GSCB (09-11-2023), bobeyoung (06-29-2021), DMWIL (07-04-2023), evoviiiyou (10-23-2023), Hedon (04-22-2021), Kr65 (10-05-2020), Majaste (02-28-2022), Tom_Slick (06-16-2023), TripleB5832 (04-21-2020) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-28-2020, 07:48 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

I put on my new Forgestar Wheels that I got from Strano Parts with BFG Rival S Tires on my C6 Grandsport for running the Porsche Club Autocross this weekend at the Arizona Motorsport Park (AMP) so I can kick some Porsche butt. I'm a Forgeline wheel guy especially for my real autocross car but, I couldn't see spending a lot of money on wheels just when I run my C6 Grandsport at events like PCA and NCCC autocross just for giggles. Anyways, my C6 Grandsport is just a grocery getter. The Forgestar Wheels turn out better than I thought they would and I stayed with the stock specs on width and backspacing so I can run in A Street in SCCA if I decide to run in that class locally.

At first, I was really reluctant to go with a colored finish because I am a chrome or highly polished wheel kind of guy. I'm still old school when it comes to wheels and I still think the Cragar S/S Wheels are the best looking wheel that was ever designed and produced.

Unfortunately, in NCCC I will have to run in the "2" Category because of the 18" diameter wheel on the rear puts me in the number 2 category.

Sam Strano was a big help to me with the selection and the ordering.

The following 2 users liked this post by Nokones:
rskwannabe (12-11-2022), strano@stranoparts.com (12-31-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To C5/C6 Seat Mounting Bracket Options and the Differences Between Them

Old 02-28-2020, 12:11 PM
Jeff4air
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokones
I put on my new Forgestar Wheels that I got from Strano Parts with BFG Rival S Tires on my C6 Grandsport for running the Porsche Club Autocross this weekend at the Arizona Motorsport Park (AMP) so I can kick some Porsche butt. I'm a Forgeline wheel guy especially for my real autocross car but, I couldn't see spending a lot of money on wheels just when I run my C6 Grandsport at events like PCA and NCCC autocross just for giggles. Anyways, my C6 Grandsport is just a grocery getter. The Forgestar Wheels turn out better than I thought they would and I stayed with the stock specs on width and backspacing so I can run in A Street in SCCA if I decide to run in that class locally.

At first, I was really reluctant to go with a colored finish because I am a chrome or highly polished wheel kind of guy. I'm still old school when it comes to wheels and I still think the Cragar S/S Wheels are the best looking wheel that was ever designed and produced.

Unfortunately, in NCCC I will have to run in the "2" Category because of the 18" diameter wheel on the rear puts me in the number 2 category.

Sam Strano was a big help to me with the selection and the ordering.
Looks great. What sizes for wheels and tires? Looking for an AX setup for my C6Z.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:18 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeff4air
Looks great. What sizes for wheels and tires? Looking for an AX setup for my C6Z.
The fronts are 18X9 1/2" with factory backspace and the rear is 18X12 with factory backspace. The front tire is a BFG Rival S 1.5 275-35-18 factory size and the rear is a 335-30-18. I went with the 18" because you can't get a BFG tire in the stock Grand Sport sizes. I ran the Goodyears Eagle F1 Supercar 3Rs which have a treadware rating of 100 and the Goodyears where in the factory Grand Sport sizes 275-35-18 & 325-30-19. However, the Goodyears where not technically legal for SCCA unless you run Street Prepared. The SCCA rules allow for an inch difference in diameter so I decided to get the Forgestars because of the price. We'll see how they do today at the PCA event.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:20 AM
Nokones
Drifting

OOPS, looks like that my posting got posted in the wrong discussion. Sorry folks. Is there any way to move this subject to the What You did last weekend group?

Quick Reply: C5/C6 Seat Mounting Bracket Options and the Differences Between Them