Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Caliper Questions - Wilwood AERO6 Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 01:04 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Brake Caliper Questions - Wilwood AERO6 Install

Hi I just purchased the Wilwood Aero6 kit (140-12629) and brake line kit (220-9100) for my 2008 C6 Z06. I’m using this kit with the Carbotech XP20 Pad (CTW6617) and DBA T3 355mm rotors. I have a few questions regarding the install that were not clarified in the install instructions.

1. The pad is not flush with the outside of the rotor even after adding all the included shims (.016). Is that normal to have to purchase and add additional shims? (see pic 7)

2. The pad doesn’t seem to cover up much of the rotor…is that normal? (see pic 6)

3. What is the torque spec for the elbow bracket brake line adapter that screws into the caliper? Currently I have it just hand tight and there are still many threads showing….should it be threaded all the way in? (see pic 5)

4. What is the torque spec for the brake line piece that attaches the hard line on the vehicle side? It also has many threads still showing…should it be threaded all the way in? (see pic 4)

5. Bleeding the caliper – Wilwood instructions say “bleed the outboard bleed screw first, then the inboard”…however the AERO6 caliper has a top and a bottom bleed screw. Not inboard outboard. Should both screws be bleed? Top or bottom first?

6. The Wilwood instructions call for the OEM Caliper bolts to be torqued to 65 ft/lb. However GM calls for 129 ft/lbs. Is the 65 ft/lbs correct now that I’m using this AERO6 caliper?

7. How often should I replace the Wilwood self-locking caliper nuts (230-9182)?
Attached Images    
Old 07-25-2015, 01:05 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

last pic...
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2015, 01:30 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

1. The pad is not flush with the outside of the rotor even after adding all the included shims (.016). Is that normal to have to purchase and add additional shims? (see pic 7) No issue. You don't need to have the pad sitting on the outermost edge of the rotor. See my reply on Point 2.

2. The pad doesn’t seem to cover up much of the rotor…is that normal? (see pic 6) Normal. Unless you get a larger footprint pad, you will not cover the entire surface of the rotor.

3. What is the torque spec for the elbow bracket brake line adapter that screws into the caliper? Currently I have it just hand tight and there are still many threads showing….should it be threaded all the way in? (see pic 5) Hand tight plus 1/4 turn is good. Just enough so that it doesn't leak.

4. What is the torque spec for the brake line piece that attaches the hard line on the vehicle side? It also has many threads still showing…should it be threaded all the way in? (see pic 4) See my reply on Point 3.

5. Bleeding the caliper – Wilwood instructions say “bleed the outboard bleed screw first, then the inboard”…however the AERO6 caliper has a top and a bottom bleed screw. Not inboard outboard. Should both screws be bleed? Top or bottom first? Just the top. IF you try to bleed the bottom you are just going to pour brake fluid on the floor. Air bubbles RISE.

6. The Wilwood instructions call for the OEM Caliper bolts to be torqued to 65 ft/lb. However GM calls for 129 ft/lbs. Is the 65 ft/lbs correct now that I’m using this AERO6 caliper? Go with the Wilwood numbers. That is now what is on your car.

7. How often should I replace the Wilwood self-locking caliper nuts (230-9182)? I have never replaced mine... but I am just a racer and take my crap on and off all the time so I may not be trusted.
The following users liked this post:
tommyc6z06 (12-24-2019)
Old 07-26-2015, 06:55 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Awesome thanks for the way info!
Old 07-27-2015, 09:05 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Pretty well covered it all. The inner/outer appears a left over from the W6A which did not have the internal cross overs.

Nice work. My fingers appreciate your support! lol

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Caliper Questions - Wilwood AERO6 Install

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Questions - Wilwood AERO6 Install