Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100# off my C5 racecar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:24 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by gmccreary
I believe the windows and electric motors will save you about 19 lbs per side.
Gut the doors the rest of the way and just build brackets for the bottom of the windows to hold them in the top edge of the doors when needed.

Here are some they use for Miata's

http://www.advanced-autosports.com/i...dowBracket.jpg
Old 07-28-2015, 07:26 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Get that wing out of the wind, hit the gym, use all the gears because you are racing (burning gas and hauling ***)

Randy
So Randy,

How high and far back should that wing be mounted?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:34 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fmcokc
So Randy,

How high and far back should that wing be mounted?
There is two schools of thought on wing mounting.

1. The higher and further back, the less angle you need to run. All true, but does add frontal surface area (more drag) but trades it off with less angle.

2. Lower, requires more wing angle. But it's lessen the frontal drag.

So what is the best? Well experimenting is the only way to really know that. But dragging a homemade wing out in the breeze without horsepower, running around in 4th gear to save gas and getting pulled by the boxers. Tells me it's worth a shot, and it will save weight

Randy
Old 07-29-2015, 10:50 AM
fmcokc
Pro

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
There is two schools of thought on wing mounting.

1. The higher and further back, the less angle you need to run. All true, but does add frontal surface area (more drag) but trades it off with less angle.

2. Lower, requires more wing angle. But it's lessen the frontal drag.

So what is the best? Well experimenting is the only way to really know that. But dragging a homemade wing out in the breeze without horsepower, running around in 4th gear to save gas and getting pulled by the boxers. Tells me it's worth a shot, and it will save weight

Randy

The Boxsters were dead even with us through third. We would start to pull them in fourth.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:31 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good suggestions all-around Chris, I hadn't thought of the battery cable but that's definitely a place to save some. I had meant to order 2ga cable but ordered 2/0 on accident, being in a time crunch on the build I just went with it and haven't gone back to change it up. I'll definitely be to downsize on that. Moving the switch might be an option but I'm going to save that one as I felt it was the best/safest place for it in terms of being accessible and legal across sanctioning bodies.

On the wing, we definitely can't run without it so long as the splitter is there, tried it at BIR and it was friggin scary. I can certainly reduce the overall height, I don't have anything real scientific on placement, except that making it taller supposedly moves it out of the flow around the car to reduce the ill effects of a straight profile versus something better-engineered like an APR. If I moved it to a few inches below roof height, I assume that'd have a decent effect on the drag?
Old 07-30-2015, 12:38 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Originally Posted by hklvette
An option for moving weight (if it helps) is to duplicate the EBCM placement on the 97 and early 98 cars. The whole unit was mounted between the mufflers at the back of the car instead of right behind the radiator. You'd obviously need the harness and brake lines to support that, so it may be a non-starter. Also, rear-mounted battery if not already done. Using a lexan rear hatch will push your weight bias forward, so going through the effort of moving weight rearward would probably be worth it.

If you can't outrun a boxster at high speed (100+) with the coupe body (even with the 4.8), it makes me wonder what's happening with your aero. Can you super-size the gills and remove the blocking plates to get air out of the engine bay?
We pull on the Boxsters at higher speed, they're really only schooling us in the corners so that's my reasoning for the weight loss mission. Moving the EBCM could help, but I think the added complexity and potential for system failure outweighs the benefits. With the lexan, my thought there is not so much to front/rear bias as high/low. The glass is one of the highest chunks of weight on the car, so I figure that will help lower my center of gravity.

Also looking at the Targa top with the potential to skin it or replace with an aftermarket panel. The internet says the stock one is about 20#, so there may be potential to save about 10# there by swapping the magnesium frame and latches for tabs and mounting screws.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:06 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LateBreak
Also looking at the Targa top with the potential to skin it or replace with an aftermarket panel. The internet says the stock one is about 20#, so there may be potential to save about 10# there by swapping the magnesium frame and latches for tabs and mounting screws.
Gotcha. Can you swap in the Z06 roof parts and skin that? If my memory is correct, the frame was the same but it was bolted in. People here who have gutted Z06s will know for sure. Judging by the difference in weight between the factory lexan top and the body-color one, most of the weight is in the skin itself.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:05 PM
LateBreak
Pro

I was looking at the z06 roofs the other day, that might be an option but I want to keep it a hatchback so I'd have to cut up the z06 roof to join it with the halo panel that's on the car. I also thought about making a mold off my stock roof to lay up a lightweight replacement skin. As weight loss goes, the highest point on the car would be as good a place as any.

Quick Reply: 100# off my C5 racecar?