Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 A6 torque converter for road course?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:52 PM
akcraig85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 A6 torque converter for road course?

Hey guys. I searched but appear to be sucky at it. I daily drive my car and try to do 1 hpde event a month when it's not to hot.

I want to change the rear end to a 3.42 and have read you might as well do the converter while you're down there. I also want to do a cam one day and know most cams require a higher stall so they don't lurch.

I was thinking of going with a 2800 stall TC. Is this dumb to do? I'm torn because I realize it will raise Trans temps and I really don't want it spooling up and hitting in the middle of a turn but I've never had a car with a TC upgrade before and don't know if these are valid concerns.

So what do tall think?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:47 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Auto trans is far from ideal for road racing track usage. A high stall converter even more so. You will have large heating problems and IMHO should use this type of setup for drag racing only.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:15 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I ran an A6 on a roadcourse & with a proper tune it worked very well but was VERY hard to keep cool on track in Florida.

That is with a stock stall. Not sure the higher stall will work on a roadcourse?

Also not sure about the rear end gears as stock seemed to work well.

This is one of those things where drag cars and road course cars are different beasts.

Some good info here.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-course-t.html
Old 07-29-2015, 03:40 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
I ran an A6 on a roadcourse & with a proper tune it worked very well but was VERY hard to keep cool on track in Florida.

That is with a stock stall. Not sure the higher stall will work on a roadcourse?

This is one of those things where drag cars and road course cars are different beasts.

Some good info here.
I still run an A6 on road courses and with a crapping tune it works well but was VERY hard to get to the point where temps were controlled (2 Setrabs coolers in place of fog lights).
Old 07-29-2015, 04:56 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69

Some good info here.
^^^This. The A6 has a very large gear spread and gears generally aren't a popular mod for the road course unless you need to alter shift points. As others have indicated, a higher stall will only produce more heat.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 A6 torque converter for road course?

Quick Reply: C6 A6 torque converter for road course?