Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 guys...what kind of pads are you running at track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:55 PM
skdiablo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just came across this write-up:

http://www.amsperformance.com/resour...ins-brake-fade

"Brake fade can be dramatically reduced through your driving style. Instead of lightly applying the brakes for long intervals, Use short bursts of braking to allow your rotors and pads to avoid extreme temperatures. "

Regretably, this sounds exactly like my driving style. I gotta re-learn.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:00 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by skdiablo
Just came across this write-up:

http://www.amsperformance.com/resour...ins-brake-fade

"Brake fade can be dramatically reduced through your driving style. Instead of lightly applying the brakes for long intervals, Use short bursts of braking to allow your rotors and pads to avoid extreme temperatures. "

Regretably, this sounds exactly like my driving style. I gotta re-learn.
No

Power is power

The faster you (de)celerate - the more power (heat) you use (create).

Harder braking = more heat

Castrol is better because it degrades much slower than anything else.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:41 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Do you activate ABS during your hard braking? That should circulate good fluid close to the calipers, but won't replace any fluid IN the calipers that might be boiling.

If I had that problem, I probably would bleed my calipers after a session to get any fluid that boiled out of the calipers. It will take probably 40cc's out of each front and 20 out of each rear to get un-boiled fluid in the calipers. Once it boils, it always leaves a small vapor space, you don't supply enough heat removal to completely condense the vapor once boiled. You may think your brakes are OK, but if it is a boiling problem, then you have a degraded capability that won't show up until the end.

So get yourself a pressure bleeder and bleed after each session first and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you know you are on a path to solving the problem.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:00 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

If you left foot brake be sure not to stay on the pedal too much after braking and/or adding power.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Just be aware that the C7 brake controller is a bit funny when it comes to hard braking if you have any steering input. The feeling you get is that the car starts decelerating less rapidly even though your pedal pressure is unchanged. If you press harder you will get more deceleration but it's a but unnatural and takes some getting used to.

I suspect what is happening is that the car is bleeding brake pressure off to the rears if you have even slight steering input. Just make sure that is not what you are experiencing as it seems to occur in all track modes and can feel kind of like a hard pedal.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:32 PM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts

I have used Carbotech XP10/8 combo and have been happy.
When they wear out I will go XP12/10 for a bit more bite as I want to go with a softer tire then the OEM SS...

Quick Reply: C7 guys...what kind of pads are you running at track?