Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quartermaster Clutch rebuild....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:05 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Default Quartermaster Clutch rebuild....

Has anyone ever had a clutch rebuilt by QM? I figured since I was replacing the transmission I may as well freshen up the Optima V 3 disc. I sent it back to them for repair although it was working just fine. I was told that they always say "may as well buy a new one, this one needs too much". Sure enough, that is what they said. I am simply having it returned as is. I am beginning to wonder at what point you should remove it and rebuild it before it needs too much. Is the feature of 'rebuildable' worth buying into? Anyone ever have any luck with rebuild??
Old 07-31-2015, 12:19 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You can easily replace the floater plates and friction discs (if they are out of spec) as long as the cover are in good shape (and assuming the cover and button flywheel are in good shape).
Old 07-31-2015, 01:41 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

My friends at CMD Automotive rebuilt mine with new friction plates from Summit Racing back in 2013. The clutch started slipping during the Nationals race and cost me the championship. Sure enough, the plates were worn past tolerances.

It has been going strong ever since.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:51 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Depending on which frictions you have you just measure for minimum wear and replace the stack if, as Ben said, the cover and flywheel look good. The new clutch is over $1700 I believe and the frictions/floaters are like $550. Since yours was working fine it's a safe bet it is rebuildable.

Get notified of new replies

To Quartermaster Clutch rebuild....

Quick Reply: Quartermaster Clutch rebuild....