Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 GS & Z06 front calipers - check your pad locating pins!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 07:00 PM
JEPopp
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default C6 GS & Z06 front calipers - check your pad locating pins!

At Road America with NASA this weekend, coming into turn 5 under heavy braking (about to turn) and I hear what sounds and feels like I went over the rumble strip on the right.

After the session, I'm checking everything out and find this. Apparently the locating pin backed out, the rim spokes hit it, and ripped it out of the caliper (the rim is damaged as well). VERY thankful this didn't cause a serious accident.

So, if checking these pins isn't on your list... you may want to add it.

I was considering a brake upgrade this winter, now maybe that is moved up to this fall, and will be checking the forum for a used rim.

Stay safe, stay vigilant with your maintenance!

Old 08-03-2015, 03:37 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Same thing happened to a friends GS at Daytona. Turn 5 at Road America is the last turn you want brake trouble.

Great public service anouncement.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:37 AM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JEPopp
At Road America with NASA this weekend, coming into turn 5 under heavy braking (about to turn) and I hear what sounds and feels like I went over the rumble strip on the right.

After the session, I'm checking everything out and find this. Apparently the locating pin backed out, the rim spokes hit it, and ripped it out of the caliper (the rim is damaged as well). VERY thankful this didn't cause a serious accident.

So, if checking these pins isn't on your list... you may want to add it.

I was considering a brake upgrade this winter, now maybe that is moved up to this fall, and will be checking the forum for a used rim.

Stay safe, stay vigilant with your maintenance!

This is the second post I have seen regarding this issue.
Any ideas (beside BBK's) for a cure to this ?
Old 08-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

How often, if any, have you taken the pins out of the caliper? Mine seem to be seized in the caliper after almost 9 years and never having been out. I always remove the caliper to change pads. Tried to get a pin out of one the the calipers last year and broke 2 torx bits before I gave up. Glad you dodged that bullet.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:44 PM
jaysc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine looked exactly like that. Went with the Wilwood kit
Old 08-03-2015, 12:58 PM
JEPopp
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
How often, if any, have you taken the pins out of the caliper? Mine seem to be seized in the caliper after almost 9 years and never having been out. I always remove the caliper to change pads. Tried to get a pin out of one the the calipers last year and broke 2 torx bits before I gave up. Glad you dodged that bullet.
I have a 2012 model year car. Tried taking them out 1 year ago (after 3 track weekends), and all but 1 were seized - and I made sure to torque it down when re-installing. Since, I've always removed the calipers as I use one-piece pads.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:37 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
I purchased pins with 10 mm hex heads that have a few less threads than the stock pins, haven't had any issues yet. Switch back to stock pins for street. I have heard of guys that have been able to free seized pins right after a track session when brakes are still hot.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 GS & Z06 front calipers - check your pad locating pins!

Quick Reply: C6 GS & Z06 front calipers - check your pad locating pins!