Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Diagnosing Braking (?) Issue - C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:18 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Default Help Diagnosing Braking (?) Issue - C5 Z06

Symptom: Under braking there is WICKED, might even describe it as violent, hammering and shaking. The brakes are still very effective, pedal is firm. You can feel a slight vibration at first but once you build up heat it's like flipping a switch, by the end of 2nd lap or start of 3rd at NJMP Thunderbolt.

What I've done so far: I installed a "Sprint" kit from Essex so the car has brand new calipers, rotors (hats & rings), pads, brake lines and fresh fluid. Swapped tires & wheels.

If pictures are worth 1000 words maybe a video is worth 10,000?

Figured I'd give the precis and then if folks want the whole story they could keep reading! This hammering issue first developed at the NCM VIR event. At that point I had the original Hardbar/Essex kit on the car so I used it as an excuse to switch to the updated kit from Essex. This is my wife's car, I put their newer kit on my car last year and so much prefer the design of their brackets & hats that all I needed was a good excuse to make the switch.

So the issue pre-existed and a complete change out of the front brakes didn't do anything. The rear brakes are KNS rotors with Hawk DTC pads(can't remember if 60 or 70). They appear in excellent condition and the feel & strength of what's going on doesn't make me think rear brakes in any way.

The issue has the vague feel of ABS but 'ABS ACTIVE' does not appear in the DIC and really it's a much more violent feel. I got into ABS deep into a brake zone the same day in my car and while similar, it's not the same feeling.

I didn't have my code reader with me but the CEL isn't on. Will pull codes soon. I just don't believe there is something wrong with the brakes themselves so I wonder if there's a suspension issue? Maybe it could be ABS even though the notice doesn't appear? Could a failing master cylinder create something like that? HELP!!!
Old 08-03-2015, 12:18 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you try running with the ABS fuse pulled?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:20 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

are you feeling it threw the wheel or threw your chassis?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:21 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I hate to state the obvious but did you check to be sure the rotor ring isn't cracked or that the retaining bolts are properly tightened? Did you check to be sure the wheel bearings are tight?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:27 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ZedO6
Did you try running with the ABS fuse pulled?
Did not. Did some Googling on my phone but didn't see a definitive enough "pull THIS fuse" post to be comfortable knowing I was doing the right thing.

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
are you feeling it threw the wheel or threw your chassis?
The feeling is much more chassis than wheel. The whole car vibrates, the motion feels kinda up & down.

Originally Posted by YYZ06
I hate to state the obvious but did you check to be sure the rotor ring isn't cracked or that the retaining bolts are properly tightened? Did you check to be sure the wheel bearings are tight?
No reason to hate it, I try to never avoid the obvious issues, that's an easy way to miss something and waste a lot of time!! But... rotor rings are brand new, solid, no cracks or even heat checks and they're solidly attached to the hats. Lug nuts torqued to spec, two different sets of wheels & tires, caliper mounting bolts and bracket bolts all tight and to spec. I have not yet checked the wheel bearings, it's on my list.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:49 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheKomoman

The feeling is much more chassis than wheel. The whole car vibrates, the motion feels kinda up & down.

is it happening at every braking zone?
Or is it happening at only a few select spots on the track? if it's select spots, where are they?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:53 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

is it happening at every braking zone?
Or is it happening at only a few select spots on the track? if it's select spots, where are they?
Every braking zone.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:08 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
I hear something rattle in the video, other than that it looked normal. What was the rattle from?

More information about the problem would be helpful. Compare the violent shaking and hammering to braking while the ABS is active, what brake pads do you have on front and rear and what tires did you run and how much life was left.

Shooting from the hip in the dark, I think the ABS gets activated. This would make sense because if you have race pads, they don't work well until heated up and the problem doesn't happen until heat is built up. Figure out if you need more traction to prevent the ABS from activating or determine if the ABS is getting activated when it should not be.
The rattle goes with the shake and it's a symptom of the problem.

The fronts pads are Ferodo DS1.11's on AP calipers and we've been using the setup on that car for 2 seasons. The rears are stock calipers on Hawk DTC-60. I use the exact same setup on my car and it works flawlessly so I do not believe this is a brake balance or configuration issue.

My first thought was ABS as well, but the feeling is much stronger than ABS. As I said above I had gotten into ABS that same day on my car in a rippled brake zone and that you feel but it doesn't feel much different than rippled surface. This shakes the whole car. Also you do not get the activation notice for ABS in the DIC and I would think that even if it were a wheel speed sensor issue activating ABS you'd get that message.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:36 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

The fronts pads are Ferodo DS1.11's on AP calipers and we've been using the setup on that car for 2 seasons. The rears are stock calipers on Hawk DTC-60. I use the exact same setup on my car and it works flawlessly so I do not believe this is a brake balance or configuration issue.

My first thought was ABS as well, but the feeling is much stronger than ABS. As I said above I had gotten into ABS that same day on my car in a rippled brake zone and that you feel but it doesn't feel much different than rippled surface. This shakes the whole car. Also you do not get the activation notice for ABS in the DIC and I would think that even if it were a wheel speed sensor issue activating ABS you'd get that message.
What changed (including tires) between the time the car was braking fine and when it started having a problem?
Old 08-03-2015, 01:39 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

What changed (including tires) between the time the car was braking fine and when it started having a problem?
Nothing. It was fine on day 1 at VIR, then on day 2 it started happening. We started out this past weekend on the same tires & wheels as VIR and then I switched once the problem happened to eliminate that. The wheels & tires were scrubs I had run on my car previously with no issues (I had a fresh set of A7's I wanted to run at VIR).
Old 08-03-2015, 01:57 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 265 Likes on 222 Posts

I had a similar issue on my wife's car also.
turned out to be a pad deposit on a rear disc..new disk and all was good
Old 08-03-2015, 02:07 PM
johnny c
Drifting

have you checked your hubs?

when i see judder like this 9/10 it's lateral run out on the rotor.

this video is old as vhs tapes but explains it well.

Last edited by johnny c; 08-03-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:12 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
I had a similar issue on my wife's car also.
turned out to be a pad deposit on a rear disc..new disk and all was good
Not sure how to feel about that. Would love it if it were that simple but would be quite mad at myself and embarrassed for dismissing the possibility. But hey, I do have the parts so there's no reason to not try it.

have you checked your hubs?
Not yet, mostly because they're nearly-new SKF's with only about 15 track days on them. That doesn't mean they can't have failed of course and I will check them, but they were just down on my list of culprits.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:14 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Not sure how to feel about that. Would love it if it were that simple but would be quite mad at myself and embarrassed for dismissing the possibility. But hey, I do have the parts so there's no reason to not try it.

Not yet, mostly because they're nearly-new SKF's with only about 15 track days on them. That doesn't mean they can't have failed of course and I will check them, but they were just down on my list of culprits.
it could also be a dirty hub surface.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:45 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

it could also be a dirty hub surface.
The hubs were clean when I swapped the rotors but it certainly won't hurt to look again.

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I very much appreciate the out-loud thinking.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:46 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I woulda suggested hubs too, but hubs going bad has always been more obvious to me going around turns rather than in braking.

I ran an identical setup to yours the last 2 seasons and have never had a braking issue since I switched to the AP kit. Good luck figuring that one out!

PS. What lap times you running in that video?
Old 08-03-2015, 03:51 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
I woulda suggested hubs too, but hubs going bad has always been more obvious to me going around turns rather than in braking.

I ran an identical setup to yours the last 2 seasons and have never had a braking issue since I switched to the AP kit. Good luck figuring that one out!

PS. What lap times you running in that video?
In that video, not very good! I was doing a couple of laps, parking and switching to my car. I ran a new personal best of 1:30.839 on Saturday. It's a nearly identical car, was a T2 circa 2013 when I bought it, I just removed the restrictor and added the AP brakes. If you open that vid in YouTube you can find a couple of others I posted from that day in my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Diagnosing Braking (?) Issue - C5 Z06

Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

This. I had this happen on my C6 Z06. The rotors were not warped, there was something about the pad compound making the rotors feel warped.

There is a first time for everything. I hope the fix is that easy for ya Post back what you find!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:58 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

This. I had this happen on my C6 Z06. The rotors were not warped, there was something about the pad compound making the rotors feel warped.

There is a first time for everything. I hope the fix is that easy for ya Post back what you find!
Most issues people describe as "warped rotors" are actually pad deposit issues, that's why bedding in pads & rotors is so important.. which yes I did as well!!

No opportunity last night to even get the car out of the trailer let alone look at anything. Our son's Grand Cherokee needed new rear brakes so there went my evening. Will report in when I figure it out.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:27 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

It's easy enough to rule out ABS - just pull fuse #52. Its a 40amp fuse in the main fuse box, right side. A flat spotted tire or out of balance wheel can do this - but doubt thats the issue since you've tried two sets. If the feeling is coming thru the chassis more than the wheel then it wouldn't be the front rotors warped or pad-deposits - could be the rears. If its not hubs then - ball joints? suspension bushings?

Quick Reply: Help Diagnosing Braking (?) Issue - C5 Z06