Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do next?

Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Vic'sVette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What to do next?

Hello. I have a 2001 Z06. Not a daily driver. I've been autoxing it and want to get to a road course eventually. I bought the car salvage, so I'm not sure of internal engine mods if any. It has CAI, long tubes, Borla's, Spec Stage 1 w aluminum pressure plate & flywheel, Lowered w Hotchkis sway bars, -2.0 camber, 6.5* caster, 1/4 toe ft, -1.0 camber, -1/4 toe rear, been running Nitto NT-05. Have wheels ordered for r-comps. Been running in SSP-but about 2 seconds slower than other Z's w r-comps.
Taken a while to get this far, & future mods will be one at a time as $$$ allows...... What should I do next? I want to do the following:
I need shocks. Want coil overs but have a Bilstein Sport budget...
Want to get brake pads & rotors.
Want to replace control arm bushings.
What else?

Thx

Last edited by Vic'sVette; 08-03-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If road course is your target, then brakes would be my first move. I've done about everything I can to improve stock C6 Z51 brakes (just like yours) including: DRM SS Pistons, Titanium shims, SS lines, Spindle ducts and Z06 brake ducts, Slotted rotors from DBA and I use Carbotech XP12/10 pads on the tracks (only --- too noisy and VERY dirty for the street). Stopping is just as (more) important than going on the road course. Of course you'll want to swap out for a high quality DOT4 brake fluid as well. I've run 3 1/2 seasons on this evolving system and I'm about to spring for a front BBK such as the AP Racing sprint setup... but my mods have done me well up to this point. I run on R888 rubber and I have plenty of go-fast mods as well... take it one step at a time and read A LOT... best investment is MORE SEAT TIME.. trust me. I'm in my fourth season and I'm finally starting to feel like I understand what the car can do, and more importantly, what it can't. Brakes and seat time.. that's my ten cents.... + a good helmet and Hans (or similar) system if you get into race seats.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 PM
TAlli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^i agree 100%. The car is plenty fast as is and the stock suspension is more than capable. Brakes for sure. The nt05s should work just fine for driving events, and you may want t consider using another street tire vs. r-comps on track until you are very comfortable with the car. R-comps break away too quickly and don't "speak" as much as street tires
Old 08-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Vic'sVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by franman69
If road course is your target, then brakes would be my first move. I've done about everything I can to improve stock C6 Z51 brakes (just like yours) including: DRM SS Pistons, Titanium shims, SS lines, Spindle ducts and Z06 brake ducts, Slotted rotors from DBA and I use Carbotech XP12/10 pads on the tracks (only --- too noisy and VERY dirty for the street). Stopping is just as (more) important than going on the road course. Of course you'll want to swap out for a high quality DOT4 brake fluid as well. I've run 3 1/2 seasons on this evolving system and I'm about to spring for a front BBK such as the AP Racing sprint setup... but my mods have done me well up to this point. I run on R888 rubber and I have plenty of go-fast mods as well... take it one step at a time and read A LOT... best investment is MORE SEAT TIME.. trust me. I'm in my fourth season and I'm finally starting to feel like I understand what the car can do, and more importantly, what it can't. Brakes and seat time.. that's my ten cents.... + a good helmet and Hans (or similar) system if you get into race seats.
Thx for the reply. I want to road course it, but don't really have the cash to do it too much.... So I will auto x it more than road race. I've heard good things about tracking the R888's. Do they give you a little warning before the break loose?? I'm going to get some scuff hoosiers for autox.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Vic'sVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by TAlli
^^^i agree 100%. The car is plenty fast as is and the stock suspension is more than capable. Brakes for sure. The nt05s should work just fine for driving events, and you may want t consider using another street tire vs. r-comps on track until you are very comfortable with the car. R-comps break away too quickly and don't "speak" as much as street tires
Thx. I'm in my 4th season of auto x-ing. 1 1/2 in a coupe. The last season & a half in the Z06. Just got the alignment. On the NT05's, I finished 11/42. But 2nd in class behind a Z06 w r comps... But, I used to finish about 1/2 to 2/3 the way down before. I believe the alignment is why. Handles much better. I appreciate the advice. I'll start looking into breaks!!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:41 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vic'sVette
Thx for the reply. I want to road course it, but don't really have the cash to do it too much.... So I will auto x it more than road race. I've heard good things about tracking the R888's. Do they give you a little warning before the break loose?? I'm going to get some scuff hoosiers for autox.
Like all R Rubber there isn't a whole lotta warning before the R888 break loose. That's why you want to learn the car with high perf street tires first. Nitto, Michelin SS or similar....

Get notified of new replies

To What to do next?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to do next?