Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any benefit to safety using the partial roll cages/bars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Any benefit to safety using the partial roll cages/bars?

Since the car is finding itself on the track somewhat regularly, I am strongly considering some safety mods to the car and I was wondering if these types of partial roll cages would help.

Since this is still primarily a street car, I am not interested in a full roll cage for the car, nor do I want the bars to run into the passenger compartment. I understand that minimizes the value of the cage, hence my question about if there was any meaningful increase in safety. I know it won't help in side or front, but I have to assume it'll help on a rollover or rear accident.

Does anyone have any input? If so, any suggestions on which ones to get for a C6Z? Safety is the critical consideration, but installation and clean removal would be important considerations too.

This is the type of cage I'm talking about (C5 Z06 pictured)

Old 08-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Of course after I post this, I find this thread...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ar-c6-z06.html

Basically the sentiment is that the cages won't help on a C6Z as the B pillar support is very strong already. The A pillar is the 'problem' and this type of cage won't help. Any thoughts?
Old 08-05-2015, 08:20 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Other than a nice place to attach a shoulder harness, I don't see a lot of added safety. No A pillar protection or side bars for intrusion protection. Rollovers are relatively rare and the halo is pretty stout already. Most impacts are front, offset front, and side intrusion.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:52 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a Pfadt roll bar bolted into my base coupe. It's great for mounting a fire extinguisher, gopro camera, and if I ever decide to get racing seats/harnesses, I can do it with a good support to the frame. Also, it definitely stiffened up the chassis quite a bit, along with the exhaust cover sub-frame joint plate thing, AND trailer hitch. Yes, I use a trailer on the back of my C6 and it also stiffened up the rear end.

Only other option for me is a full cage, but I only do 1 HPDE per year, so my car is 99% street, only drive it about 1,000 miles per year.

I think the harness bars are garbage.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:36 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I built a street car into a mostly HPDE track car after I sold my race car. As I drove it on the street, my cage builder (Blaine Fabrication in Nor Cal) wouldn't allow me a front HALO. His point was even with padding that bar near your unhelmeted head in a street accident is not something you wanted.

He did however build it as a 5 point, with the normal 4 points and an angled bar from the drivers side upright down to a point slightly in front of the driver door opening. That actually made getting in the car a bit easier when I was in street clothes as I could simply plop down on the bar and slide into the seat.

Now this was not a cheap installation, but it worked for me and gave me more confidence during track days. I also installed a 5 point harness and wore full Nomex and other protective gear. As for a simple bolt in bar as you show, I expect it best you save your money. No reason to do something unless you are going to do it correctly.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:30 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally I think you guys running 500hp+ cars on the track without full cages and safety gear are a bit insane. Another driver just got killed at Road Atlanta last weekend in a 'street car'.

As has been said, the bar above will do little to actually protect you any more than the stock structure, but it's the minimum I'd run if you're using race seats and harnesses.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:33 PM
kevinj0101
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

With fixed back seats I think it would be a good idea.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Matt-P
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Of course after I post this, I find this thread...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ar-c6-z06.html

Basically the sentiment is that the cages won't help on a C6Z as the B pillar support is very strong already. The A pillar is the 'problem' and this type of cage won't help. Any thoughts?
That red Z06 looks more like it hit the A pillar and barely touched the B pillars. And even if the B pillars is strong additional support won't hurt.

Thinking about adding something myself although it's hard to find alternatives other then custom making one.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:14 PM
kevinj0101
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A local race shop built mine, it's the back half of what he would do for a full cage. If I could afford it I would full cage it and race, but for the next few years this will give me an extra piece of mind while I do track days and hopefully learn how to drive this car properly.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:20 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBreak
Personally I think you guys running 500hp+ cars on the track without full cages and safety gear are a bit insane. Another driver just got killed at Road Atlanta last weekend in a 'street car'.

As has been said, the bar above will do little to actually protect you any more than the stock structure, but it's the minimum I'd run if you're using race seats and harnesses.
While I get your point. Horsepower is irrelevant. Accidents happen. Failures happen. And any number of things can happen outside of your control. You HAVE to be prepared for the worst. For me, that's a caged car with all the safety gear any time I'm on the track.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:43 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Full cage.

I have seen a friend flip at Watkins and have the A frame give way. He was lucky and walked away. I have a cage. No guarantees even with a cage. Just better odds.

#13 Corvette at Watkins Glen, April 2013
Old 08-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt-P
That red Z06 looks more like it hit the A pillar and barely touched the B pillars. And even if the B pillars is strong additional support won't hurt.

Al Millions corvette rollover - YouTube

Thinking about adding something myself although it's hard to find alternatives other then custom making one.
The red car in the other thread rolled over right in front of me and my student 5 years ago at the Glen. He went wide in a turn and ran up a tire wall with the car about 4 ft off the ground. Then it dropped onto its roof.

A full cage is the only way to reduce the chance the roof doesn't collapse on your head is to have a cage.

Bill
Old 08-06-2015, 10:01 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jonathan I would look at Mike's cage. His is a half cage. He has one from the guy that built mine. Tolle Fab. Mine is a full cage with removable door bars. TC fab knows corvettes and is local to you. He built a few and Blaine fab is just as good. Nice guy with some odd work hours. WE can get some serious speed. If you are going to cage or half cage it. Its not much of a street car anymore. Just remember that. I do not feel safe driving around town in mine. Its pretty much 99% track car and 1% street car if need be.

Get notified of new replies

To Any benefit to safety using the partial roll cages/bars?

Quick Reply: Any benefit to safety using the partial roll cages/bars?