Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light weight battery - LiFeP04

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:51 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Light weight battery - LiFeP04

Anyone try one of these?

http://www.batterytender.com/Batteries/

Price and weight (3 lbs) are really attractive. Any ideas for an adapter that can connect the C5 cables to these motorcycle style battery connectors?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:45 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Lane Borg of Borg Motorsports has the $300 480cca version. Might want to ask him.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:29 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks for sharing, this will save another 7lbs. the one ihave now is 11lbs and only 220cca.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

I can't speak to these batteries from a safety standpoint, but the 480 version started the car right up, no issues. I used some battery posts from my 6 lb (actually 7 lb if you weight it) Braille battery with the threaded inserts that comes with the lithium battery. It's the same thing as
this kit this kit
. With that post kit, you can use the stock battery connectors. They make kits for most types of connectors so if you want different ones than me (like the screw connectors), you can get
a kit like this a kit like this

In terms of performance and maintenance, you need a lithium specific charger/tender. I use
this one this one
. I keep my car on it at all times in the garage. I have had to jump the car at the track, but had no issues. I did forget to put the car on the tender when I got back from a couple weekends of racing and after three or four weeks, the battery was dead (as in not able to be recharged dead). These little batteries aren't really meant to keep things like the clock and anti-theft systems running long term. First and foremost, I need to be better about keeping the car on a tender when in the shop. Second, I plan on installing
a kill switch a kill switch
since I can't pull the stereo or other factory systems per the rules.

I plan on doing a very clean install of a new battery and will detail that in a separate thread. I'm probably 2-3 weeks out from doing that, one of the machines needs a change over for production so that takes priority.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:46 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Thank you Lane. My cables have side mount connectors, so I'm going to give this a shot http://www.summitracing.com/parts/xsp-551. Ordered the battery and charger from Battery Tender and the adapters from Summit. Will let you all know how it works out.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:36 AM
TurbineSurgine
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have one, been using it since march.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...re-they-2.html
Old 08-11-2015, 10:08 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

[QUOTE=TurbineSurgine;1590245736]I have one, been using it since march.

Any heat issues over the summer?
Old 08-12-2015, 05:49 AM
TurbineSurgine
Instructor

None so far, mine is mounted in the factory location on the C4. In Houston we have had a average of 98 degree high's, yesterday got up to 106. It has been 9 days since the car was started last with no issues, I have let it sit for almost a month before and it will start. I don't use any kind of charger on it, and I only drive it when I go to a autocross or track day. It was worth it, considering getting one for my 5 series BMW since that battery weighs 62 lbs
Old 08-12-2015, 08:04 AM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

No issues here either in west Texas. Like I said, my only issue occurred when I left it off the charger for nearly a month.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:28 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just bought a Battery Tender brand 480cca one on Amazon, it was about $210 shipped and weighs 3.5lbs, confirmed on my scale at home. This is for my racecar as I have been struggling to lose enough weight on the car for my class limits. I'd be hesitant to use it on a street car unless you're driving every day, using a trickle charger religiously, or unhooking the battery when not in use. As has been said, complete discharge will be the death of them, but they will hold charge almost indefinitely when unhooked.

As for charging, most standard chargers (without desulfation mode) are just fine on LiFePO4 batteries as opposed to other Lithium-Ion batteries which require something special.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:42 AM
TurbineSurgine
Instructor

Originally Posted by LateBreak
I just bought a Battery Tender brand 480cca one on Amazon, it was about $210 shipped and weighs 3.5lbs, confirmed on my scale at home. This is for my racecar as I have been struggling to lose enough weight on the car for my class limits. I'd be hesitant to use it on a street car unless you're driving every day, using a trickle charger religiously, or unhooking the battery when not in use. As has been said, complete discharge will be the death of them, but they will hold charge almost indefinitely when unhooked.

As for charging, most standard chargers (without desulfation mode) are just fine on LiFePO4 batteries as opposed to other Lithium-Ion batteries which require something special.

I have had issues with door light staying on and discharging the battery completely, happened a couple times, and the battery is still good. Also I don't use any charger, car sits for extended periods of time, No problem. I have heard of other AGM and lithium battery's requiring a charger and dying after total discharge but I have not experienced that with this LiFePo4, It's been extremely resilient.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:58 PM
LateBreak
Pro

That's really good to hear, thanks!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:59 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Honestly this was the cheapest weight savings I've ever found on a racecar, $210 for 40 pounds, far less if you need a battery anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Light weight battery - LiFeP04

Quick Reply: Light weight battery - LiFeP04