Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory rev matching?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Factory rev matching?

What year was this introduced? Was it on the z06?

Old 08-11-2015, 06:36 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
What year was this introduced? Was it on the z06?

In Corvettes? 2014 with the C7. First I think I heard about it though was on the Nissan 370Z when it came out.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
In Corvettes? 2014 with the C7. First I think I heard about it though was on the Nissan 370Z when it came out.
Yes Corvettes.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:40 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

The Cobalt SS had a 'no lift shift'.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
The Cobalt SS had a 'no lift shift'.
How does the c7 work, are you supposed to lift?

Old 08-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 08-12-2015, 06:53 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The C7 I drove a few weeks ago simply blips the throttle when you tap the downshift paddle. No throttle input necessary. Really different and nicely programmed. Sorry about the Cobalt SS post; a different function altogether.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

The C7 I drove a few weeks ago simply blips the throttle when you tap the downshift paddle. No throttle input necessary. Really different and nicely programmed. Sorry about the Cobalt SS post; a different function altogether.
I should have specified, since they now make an automatic z06.

I was initially asking if you lift when you move the stick on a manual transmission? c7z06.

Back in the day before technology was added to transmissions, power shifting a stick, meant holding the throttle open and hitting clutch & shifter and then let it out.

I don't think the clutches lasted long.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:01 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

.....I was initially asking if you lift when you move the stick on a manual transmission? c7z06.

I would say you shift as with older manuals. I don't believe the C7 has 'no lift' function.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:58 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I would say you shift as with older manuals. I don't believe the C7 has 'no lift' function.
I beg to differ. Pulled a 3.63 0-60 holding that sucker wide open.

It seems to work well at the top end 6400-6500 rpm's. Shift at 5000 and you'll decimate the tires upon releasing the clutch. Just trust me...
Old 08-12-2015, 11:01 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL

It seems to work well at the top end 6400-6500 rpm's. Shift at 5000 and you'll decimate the tires upon releasing the clutch. Just trust me...
Love to see that video.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:48 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Two different technologies. Active Rev Match (ARM) was introduced in the 2014 Corvette with the M7 and has been refined slightly in the 2015/16 models. To the best of my knowledge it is on all M7 cars. You activate it by pressing one of the paddles on the wheel (since they serve no other purpose on an M7 car) and once it's on it stays on as long as the car is running. In other words you need to turn it on each start.

With ARM on the throttle is automatically blipped when you push the clutch in and go from a selected gear to Neutral and again when you select the next gear. As best I can tell this initial blip is always the same and the second blip is programmed based on the gear you select next, speed, RPM, etc. It works really well.

There is also a no lift (up) shift option in the M7 cars but I don't know if its tied to use of the launch control or not as I've never used it. Basically you do as you described and just keep the throttle pinned when you push the clutch, select the next higher gear, and release the clutch. This might also be tied to just cars that have PTM which comes with the MR shock option (standard on the C7Z).
Old 08-13-2015, 10:37 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL

We are discussing two different issues. The Cobalt SS had a 'no lift shift' which enabled the driver to keep the throttle down while engaging the clutch and the programming simply kept the rpm level matched. Not the same as power shifting or speed shifting.

I have only driven the A8 on the track, not a M7. The only info I can find on the C7's rev matching is this:

"Regardless, the system has come along way from the no-lift shift system GM had a few years ago, giving you almost DSG-like shifting abilities while still giving you the feel of shifting yourself. "

Sounds like this author is confusing auto and straight trannys. Maybe the M7 works in the same manner as the older Cobalt SS 'no lift shift' or, perhaps, more evolved. I dunno.

AutoX, are you saying the programming holds rpm for the shift as opposed to jamming the tranny in gear while rpm's climb as with the old power shifting?

Last edited by SouthernSon; 08-13-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:27 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Two different technologies. Active Rev Match (ARM) was introduced in the 2014 Corvette with the M7 and has been refined slightly in the 2015/16 models. To the best of my knowledge it is on all M7 cars. You activate it by pressing one of the paddles on the wheel (since they serve no other purpose on an M7 car) and once it's on it stays on as long as the car is running. In other words you need to turn it on each start.

With ARM on the throttle is automatically blipped when you push the clutch in and go from a selected gear to Neutral and again when you select the next gear. As best I can tell this initial blip is always the same and the second blip is programmed based on the gear you select next, speed, RPM, etc. It works really well.

There is also a no lift (up) shift option in the M7 cars but I don't know if its tied to use of the launch control or not as I've never used it. Basically you do as you described and just keep the throttle pinned when you push the clutch, select the next higher gear, and release the clutch. This might also be tied to just cars that have PTM which comes with the MR shock option (standard on the C7Z).
Most complete answer so far, there seems to be (as is usual) a lot of confusion/misinformation regarding these developments.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:20 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

In general, when doing road racing (HPDE), you do a "heel/toe" down shift.
That is, you press the brake with your toe, and press the accelerator with your heel,
and at the same time, you have depressed the clutch, and are shifting to a lower gear.
This is all done "in concert" (together).
The whole idea of course, is to rev the engine higher when letting out the clutch,
so the lower gear you are shifting to will be matched nicely with appropriate
engine revs.
If you don't "blip" the engine, then when you release the clutch in the lower gear,
you are introducing engine braking QUICKLY, which will slow you down considerably,
and may induce a spin.

So ARM takes care of the "heel/toe" need, by revving the engine for you.

Of course, this (blipping the throttle) is not needed for upshifting.
You are already at high revs in a gear and are shifting to a higher gear, to enable
subsequent acceleration. So letting the engine revs come down a bit for upshifts is
just normal.

This is how it works for me... and it works just fine.
But I am so used to heel/toe, I don't really need/use the ARM.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:15 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Love to see that video.

Me too, no PDR or nav so I'll get the gopro.

One of my Waterford hills videos has a good full throttle up shift to second though.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:18 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

AutoX, are you saying the programming holds rpm for the shift as opposed to jamming the tranny in gear while rpm's climb as with the old power shifting?[/quote]

Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying. If you don't shift over 6200, it usually results in a bad wheel spin situation. Done right, it's quite fast and smooth. I usually only do it on the 1-2 up shift and 3-4. 2-3 up shift becomes more difficult under constant load.

Get notified of new replies

To Factory rev matching?

Old 08-14-2015, 12:22 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
That is, you press the brake with your toe, and press the accelerator with your heel,
and at the same time, you have depressed the clutch, and are shifting to a lower gear.
The whole idea of course, is to rev the engine higher when letting out the clutch,
engine revs.
If you don't "blip" the engine, then when you release the clutch in the lower gear,
you are introducing engine braking QUICKLY, which will slow you down considerably,
and may induce a spin.

You are already at high revs in a gear and are shifting to a higher gear, to enable
subsequent acceleration. So letting the engine revs come down a bit for upshifts is
just normal.

Agreed. I use the ARM as a safety net on track. It does work well on autocrosses for a 2-1 downshift though.

I will say that the arm program improved greatly when I had the car tuned. Not sure why but it's much more consistent and the timing seems better suited to me.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
engine revs.
and may induce a spin.

just normal.

Not needed if you can drive.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:45 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bluefire
Not needed if you can drive.
Just because you can heel toe doesn't mean that it wouldnt be quicker to use the system from time to time. Executing a 2-1 downshift at an Autocross is challenging. The systems excels in this area.

I should also mention that when my car was tuned, the arm was adjusted and improved.

Quick Reply: Factory rev matching?