Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selecting the proper sway bar for my car

Old 08-12-2015, 02:28 PM
auto-xer
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selecting the proper sway bar for my car

I have read a plethora of threads on this topic and I know everyone always has different opinions but I really was hoping to get a little more help for my application.

The car is a 2002 z06 on square 275-35-18 RE71R tires. I only autocross the car but I do hope to do some HDPE events here in California. I may end up going to a wider rear tire like the 315 Rival-S in the near future but that's still undecided. As for shocks - I'm running DRM Bilsteins and everything else is stock.

I was racing at Crows Landing this last weekend and I tried running a little higher pressure than I normally do in the rear (~31 psi). I had extremely bad over-steer (I actually spun completely off course on my first run, which rattled me for the rest of the day). Note: I'm still a novice autocross racer and the car is still new to me. I ended up lowering the pressure back down to my normal 28 psi and I did much better, however I still experience a bit of over-steer.

After lengthy discussion with a few other past and present corvette owners I determined that a bigger front bar is needed. I want the car to have a nice 'level' feel to it, without constant fear of over-steer but also without pushing too hard from under-steer.

I called Sam Strano twice this week, leaving a message with the lady at the front desk. I understand he's busy but I want to get something ordered and on the car before the next event so I'm here asking you all for advise. I know Strano's hollow front is usually recommended for street/autocross cars on street tires but will this be enough bar for me on the very sticky and square RE71R's? Will the solid bar be better or will it be too much bar, especially if I do end up getting wider rears?

Cliff notes: c5z autocross car on RE71R's needs front sway bar advise.

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been running Strano's 1 5/16" bar and really like the balance. It's not under-steery in the slow/tight stuff but is still controllable in the fast stuff. I've run this bar with 255/275 Z2*specs and 275 71R/315 Rival-S tires.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=31&ModelID=11

IIRC, he's been on the road recently for some National Tour events but may be back this week?
Old 08-12-2015, 02:58 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes that bar will be enough for you. Some of the fastest STU Corvette drivers in the nation have that bar on the front of their car. I'm not one of the fastest but I have it on my car also (running 315 falken rt-615k f/r) I'd also look into getting his adjustable rear bar, just for the simple fact you can make it go from softer than stock to stiffer.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:13 PM
auto-xer
Cruising

Thanks for the feedback. Has anyone ran his solid sway bar here? How much stiffer is it than the hollow? Just curious to hear from someone who has experience with both.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:31 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Sam would be the best one to answer that question bit I'd guess you'd need 315 r compound tires and a good deal of aero to make use of that bar.

On a side American Auto-x is having an event out at crows landing on August 22-23. It's a great group of people that has multiple national champions running in some very competitive classes.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:09 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both the front 1-5/16" bar as well as the 1" hollow rear bar. Even on the soft setting, the front bar made the car feel stronger on turn-in. for the rear bar. the soft setting is just a bit softer than the stock C5Z bar, and the middle is a little stiffer than stock. the rear bar did help turn in as the car was tight through out the turn and it is more neutral now. I did add the Koni yellows with the rear bar, so take that for what it is worth on the handling now.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:26 PM
auto-xer
Cruising

I appreciate the feedback. I will probably go ahead and order the 8472 bar. Thanks guys
Old 08-12-2015, 06:45 PM
auto-xer
Cruising

Sam just called me back and was very helpful. He confirmed that the 8472 is the way to go.

Thanks again guys.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:27 AM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What's your alignment? The cars are also sensitive to rear toe. The 315 BFGs on the rear will work better (even with mixed compound RE71R up front if you don't want to buy 4 new tires).
Old 08-17-2015, 07:58 PM
auto-xer
Cruising

Originally Posted by dhowdy
What's your alignment? The cars are also sensitive to rear toe. The 315 BFGs on the rear will work better (even with mixed compound RE71R up front if you don't want to buy 4 new tires).
2.4* Camber in the front, 1/8" toe out
1.5* Camber in the rear, 1/8" toe in

Get notified of new replies

To Selecting the proper sway bar for my car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Selecting the proper sway bar for my car