Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock suspension bushings, take a look

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Stock suspension bushings, take a look

These seem to be moving. Is there any PM I need to do here? Or is this what a high dollar bushing kit cures?

I'm a basic HPDE guy running about 8 days a year.

Thank you
Dan
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2015, 11:36 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is normal, it will just keep getting worse. Bushing kits fix this issue.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:32 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You should check your lowers as well. My uppers don't look as bad as yours, but my lower arms are nearly touching the subframe from heavy braking.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:52 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same issues and had them replaced once under warranty. Now, I am going to replace them with the Ridetech Delrin kit.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:28 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I went with pfadt poly and they work well, but would definitely go with a metal or delrin bushing setup if I did it again

Old 08-14-2015, 08:37 AM
BierGut
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
I went with pfadt poly and they work well, but would definitely go with a metal or delrin bushing setup if I did it again

Why is this? Would like to here your first hand thoughts/experience on why you'd go harder. Do you still drive your car on the street? Also, where do you live? (Road condition)

It's not that most don't understand the reasons to go Delrin or mono, but if one is still going to street a car - it would most likely be too harsh for most. We'll - at least that's the common belief. The only car I ever had metal in was brutal here in the Northeast and went 100% track eventually.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:57 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We sell the solid spherical bushing kits if you are looking for the ultimate fix.

PM me if you have anymore questions in regards to our kits.

http://afepower.com/shop/application...ord&keyword=C6
Old 08-14-2015, 09:19 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The Pfadt / aFe poly bushing kit is by far the best solution for a guy that does 8 track days a year. This guy doesn't need delrin or sphericals.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

This has been covered pretty extensively, here is a thread that deals with it...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-options.html

Bottom line is that it is the arm that is deforming and pulling off of the top bushing. This happens because of the braking torque tries to pull the top arm forward and the arm bends.

The easiest fix is to get a set of new arms and flip the rear bushing as described in the thread above. There are detailed instructions in the thread as to how to do it. It only takes a few minutes to flip the bushing, and you can do it with no special tools, you just need a vise clamped to a bench and you can spin the bushings out and back into place in a few minutes. If you wait until the arms are deformed a lot it will work but you will have a ton of caster because the top arm has bent. The drives side arm looks pretty bad and if they were both like the passenger side I'd just flip the bushings and be done with it. If you wait too long (like the drivers side) then it's replacement time.

Last edited by Solofast; 08-15-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:35 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can flip the front lower bushing too to keep it from walking out. Its not as bad or as apparent, but it does happen. You'll need a press for that job though.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:20 PM
flyby763
Racer

Originally Posted by Solofast
This has been covered pretty extensively, here is a thread that deals with it...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-options.html

Bottom line is that it is the arm that is deforming and pulling off of the top bushing. This happens because of the braking torque tries to pull the top arm forward and the arm bends.

The easiest fix is to get a set of new arms and flip the rear bushing as described in the thread above. There are detailed instructions in the thread as to how to do it. It only takes a few minutes to flip the bushing, and you can do it with no special tools, you just need a vise clamped to a bench and you can spin the bushings out and back into place in a few minutes. If you wait until the arms are deformed a lot it will work but you will have a ton of caster because the top arm has bent. The drives side arm looks pretty bad and if they were both like the passenger side I'd just flip the bushings and be done with it. If you wait too long (like the drivers side) then it's replacement time.
I flipped mine on my front uppers when I noticed them starting to push out. Now my driver side front bushing looks like this. Assuming the arm is bent.
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2015, 12:43 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I see the Pfadt poly bushings are available again, this was one of their products that didn't suck correct?
Old 08-16-2015, 04:04 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyby763
I flipped mine on my front uppers when I noticed them starting to push out. Now my driver side front bushing looks like this. Assuming the arm is bent.
On the front upper arm, is that the front or rear bushing? The "flange" should be towards the front of the car regardless of side. If you put the flanges to the rear, the bushings will push out very quickly.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:13 PM
flyby763
Racer

Originally Posted by hklvette
On the front upper arm, is that the front or rear bushing? The "flange" should be towards the front of the car regardless of side. If you put the flanges to the rear, the bushings will push out very quickly.
You had me worried, I had to go check to make sure I didn't have a brain fart. That's the front bushing on the driver side, so the flange is at the front. All 4 flanges are on the front side.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Thank you for the help guys. I'm happy to hear there is a basic swap I can do to help this out. Not really wanting to spend 2g's on bushings just yet...
Old 08-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Mine are all 4 facing out, so the fronts are in front and the rears are in the rear.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:54 PM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This delrin bushing kit is a significant improvement over stock

http://www.ridetech.com/store/c5-cor...shing-kit.html

This delrin is 13% ptfe (teflon) infused so no lubrication, no squeaks, no wear.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock suspension bushings, take a look

Old 08-16-2015, 10:25 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hklvette
You can flip the front lower bushing too to keep it from walking out. Its not as bad or as apparent, but it does happen. You'll need a press for that job though.
The front LCA bushing is where I have the most trouble. Also as it slides out, the car loses caster. How easy is it to flip this bushing?
Old 08-17-2015, 01:28 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
I see the Pfadt poly bushings are available again, this was one of their products that didn't suck correct?
Correct. As long as the design hasn't changed, it's well worth the money and by far the best poly kit on the market.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by flyby763
Yup, your arm is bent a bit...

Not sure if the arm will spread to where the front takes up the load, but if it did the bottom line is that you'd have lost some caster relative to doing it to a new set of arms.

That's why it's a good thing to do the flip bit when the arms are new if you're going to be using slicks or Hoosiers on the track. If you do it early then both arms share the load and they never bend. Think of it this way. One leg of the arm isn't strong enough to not yield under heavy braking loading, but if the legs share the load then then each leg has about half the load in it, and they never bend.

Quick Reply: Stock suspension bushings, take a look