Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nasa hpde

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 07:15 AM
VThokies
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Nasa hpde

I am considering attending the NASA at Roebling Road next month, however I do not know anything about how the event is run.

Could someone that has done HPDEs with NASA give me some insight?

How long are the run sessions? How many per day? I have been to several different tracks and have attended about 20 track days. So which HPDE level would be the best to register for as a first time NASA participant?

Is there a Friday registration and trailer drop off? I am assuming they do this.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:08 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

How many run sessions - usually 4 per day (usually 20 min sessions)
HPDE1 includes 2 or three classroom sessions (I forget which)

for what level to sign up for contact Julie (I think its registration@nasa-se.com)

Also - go to the website! http://www.nasa-se.com/

Usually for Roebling they do a late Friday registration and trailer drop off.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:31 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

20 track days? Sign up for 3 or you will be bored.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:12 PM
JEPopp
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

NASA's Midwest group runs a well organized event, (I hope NASA-SE is just as good) with classroom sessions for HPDE 1/2 after each track session, and download sessions (15~20mins) for HPDE 3/4 to make sure everyone is communicating and getting feedback on the best line / braking, etc... It's about improving your skills and ensuring everyone is driving responsibly.

4 sessions / day is the norm I've seen. Trailer drop-off : As stated by another member, check the NASA web page for the details, or send the registrar an email.

Have fun!

Last edited by JEPopp; 08-20-2015 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added comment regarding improving skills
Old 08-20-2015, 01:38 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

have you run that track? one could argue that having 20 track days at many tracks vs 20 at the same track is not the same. So if never been on this track I would say 2

what I like about NASA is they want to know that the driver can advance and not just take the drivers word for it. Even heard of drivers getting sent back down. Yes it may get boring...HPDE 2 does on track skill drills that can be boring. But if you feel you are ready for the next level ask for a sign off ride.

was at an open track day yesterday and two drivers asked to advance and both were given the green light. One going from intermediate to advance and other from novice to intermediate. The advanced driver did great however the novice did horrible.

have fun, you should see a lot of different levels of cars and drivers.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:48 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to getting an instructor if you've never been to Roebling. It's not a particularly technical track, there's little to hit, and there's almost no elevation BUT it's fast as hell once you start to sack it up. In particular, the short straights between 2 & 4, 7 & 8, and then T8/9 itself.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:18 PM
VThokies
Instructor

Thanks to all.

I just found the suggested run group placement on the NASA site.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:29 PM
C503Z06
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VThokies
Thanks to all.

I just found the suggested run group placement on the NASA site.
There are many company's that run at Roebling Road, just look on there website.
The 1 thing I don't like about NASA HPDE is that they always cut your track time if there is a issue with any of there race run groups.
I do not run any NASA events anymore, I feel you get more for my money running with other company's. I do not do any racing or TT's
I do about 15 to 20 events a year.

Just my opinion
Michael
Old 08-21-2015, 07:53 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

You've "attended" 20 events or "driven" in 20 events??

On average every event I go to is either 5 twenty minute sessions a day or 4 thirty minute sessions a day, or some variance of those.

Roeblings last turn before you come out onto the straightaway is a car killer, if you make a boo boo right there open the wheel and go left. Don't try to be a hero right there, there's a reason pit wall has rubber marks all over it lol.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:56 PM
VThokies
Instructor

I have driven in 20+ events at CMP, VIR, NCMMP over the last three years. BMW M3, C6 GS, and now have a C7. I have not been to Roebling or a NASA event. I have some interest in W2W racing is why I may go to the NASA event at Roebling. Otherwise I would not pick a NASA event due to the reduced run time compared to other organizations as other have noted above. If I decide to make the trip, will most likely pick HPDE2 as starting point.

Thanks again for the info.

Last edited by VThokies; 08-21-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Phoenix64
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Avoid NASA at all costs as an HPDE driver. I did one track day with them. Never again. 638$ for about 1 hour on track over two days.

Over the course of 2 days our "20 min track sessions" averaged 8-10min each. There were a number of delays and accidents(not in our group), and every incident or delay resulted in the HPDE groups getting their time cut, but the TT group and other "racers" got their full time.

Of the many track days I've done, by far the biggest waste of money.

Last edited by Phoenix64; 08-21-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:43 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
You've "attended" 20 events or "driven" in 20 events??

On average every event I go to is either 5 twenty minute sessions a day or 4 thirty minute sessions a day, or some variance of those.

Roeblings last turn before you come out onto the straightaway is a car killer, if you make a boo boo right there open the wheel and go left. Don't try to be a hero right there, there's a reason pit wall has rubber marks all over it lol.
Very good advice, I was there a few years ago when a C6Z went off track left coming out of turn 9, tried to save it, ended up in the wall. Destroyed the car and driver suffered two broken bones.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:05 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by edge04
have you run that track? one could argue that having 20 track days at many tracks vs 20 at the same track is not the same. So if never been on this track I would say 2
Agreed .. I usually will sign up 1 level down for a new track.

Get notified of new replies

To Nasa hpde

Quick Reply: Nasa hpde