Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control on, stability off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 05:20 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Default Traction Control on, stability off?

any one have any Ideas how to accomplish this?
I have a neat lil box that lets you preselect normal, competition and all off.
bt it would be real nice to have traction on with active handling off
Old 08-20-2015, 08:31 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

You mean so you could have unlimited yaw in corners but wheels wouldn't spin under power?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Deleted 07.13.2020
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnect the steering wheel positioning sensor.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:40 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
You mean so you could have unlimited yaw in corners but wheels wouldn't spin under power?
exactly. yes I know the steering wheel sensor will do it.
However the plug isn't made to be used that way so I'm a bit afraid it would soon fail.
I have thought of a switch or even a relay so I could disable the air bags at the same time.
I was hoping maybe a programming operation on the ecbm.
the Zr1, C7 Z51 with MR and the C7 Z06 all have that option in the system
Old 08-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

The PTM modes are much more advanced than the TC mode in our C6 series without PTM.

Traction control on the C6Z is pretty aggressive and is more likely to kill your drive out of the corner even with AH defeated.

I'd be an interesting experiment but I really don't think it'd lead to faster times (if that is the goal?)
Old 08-21-2015, 05:59 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert R1
The PTM modes are much more advanced than the TC mode in our C6 series without PTM.

Traction control on the C6Z is pretty aggressive and is more likely to kill your drive out of the corner even with AH defeated.

I'd be an interesting experiment but I really don't think it'd lead to faster times (if that is the goal?)
Agreed 100%. Traction control without PTM kills power on acceleration, it doesn't "manage" your power like PTM. My right foot has PTM though and it's pretty effective.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:43 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Yes that isn't the desired result
one of the things race teams are able to control is the degree of traction control.
I would not want all on or all off (very aggressive)
the Idea was maybe some help when something unforeseen occurs. such as antifreeze in an acceleration zone or coming off a corner.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:45 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

more of a save your *** solution see previous post
Old 08-21-2015, 12:36 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you are asking for PTM. If your car doesn't have PTM then you won't get an active race-oriented traction control system no matter what programming you "could" do, unless that includes retrofitting PTM. Nobody I know of can or will reflash your BCM to disable AH. Unless you are driving a ZR1 with big block like instant torque, then the right foot is a pretty darn great traction control device that should be kept in top condition!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Ernie,
Traction Control can be pretty intrusive in the manner you are hoping to use it. The 97 C5s didn't have stability control and it was optional in 98, 99 and 00. Without stability control what you get is a system that is designed to limit wheel slip on low friction surfaces or where one wheel slips and the other doesn't like in a turning situation where there is a bumpy surface. If I was making a turn out of my employer's parking lot onto the main highway there was a slight bump where the two different pavement surfaces met. In a turn one of the rear wheels encountered the bump ahead of the other wheel. That was enough to set off traction control, which pretty much brought the car to a stop.

There are a lot of track surfaces that are like that. Hopefully, WGI with its current resurfacing project will get rid of the bumps coming off the apex at the Toe of the Boot but that was a perfect place to demonstrate what happens when TC interferes for no real reason just as you want to go to full throttle. Granted, the later C5 and C6 TC operation wasn't as sensitive to bumps as the early C5s but the problem is only diminished not eliminated.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Traction Control on, stability off?

Quick Reply: Traction Control on, stability off?