Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18' ATC Trailer Strap Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 11:25 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Default 18' ATC Trailer Strap Question

This is discussed all over the forum I know, but I still would like to ask the question.

I just bought an ATC open trailer today and when my C6 GS was on the trailer checking the fit, it looked like straps using the front "D" rings would end up rubbing on the front air dam. Dealer is suggesting E-track and strapping around the tires, thoughts?

I see posts about T hooks but really don't know how to translate the term "t-hook" into securing my C6 to the trailer. Anyone?
Old 08-22-2015, 01:28 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by petsur
This is discussed all over the forum I know, but I still would like to ask the question.

I just bought an ATC open trailer today and when my C6 GS was on the trailer checking the fit, it looked like straps using the front "D" rings would end up rubbing on the front air dam. Dealer is suggesting E-track and strapping around the tires, thoughts?

I see posts about T hooks but really don't know how to translate the term "t-hook" into securing my C6 to the trailer. Anyone?
The T hooks will fit into the factory tie down slots on both sides of the frame. We tow C5s and C6s strapped down with T hooks and it's really the best way to go.

Summit has them for about $9 each . . . .

http://www.summitracing.com/search/N.../?autoview=SKU

Last edited by Last C5; 08-22-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:50 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Here is a great deal on T Hooks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-G70-Wrecker-Transport-T-Hook-/271883918875?hash=item3f4d8b5e1b&vxp=mtrI just bought a set of these for an enclosed ATC. JD
Old 08-22-2015, 08:53 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Here is a great deal on T Hooks.
4 New G70 Wrecker Transport T Hook | eBay
I just bought a set of these for an enclosed ATC. JD
Then what from the T Hooks to the car? Any issues around the air dam?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:36 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Your tie down straps should have a hook on the end? and that goes to the T hook and the T hook goes into the frame on the car. Usually we run the straps crossed. And No it did not mess with the Splitter. Call me if you have any questions. 772 335 8318 JD
Old 08-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

To get a better angle on the T Hooks I have a shackle attached at the end of the hook and then attach my straps to the shackle.

http://www.awdirect.com/anchor-shack...-and-hardware/

Just choose the proper shackle size that fits the T Hook and has the appropriate working load classification.

Same place sells T Hooks as well.

http://www.awdirect.com/tie-down-hoo...-and-hardware/

They have tie downs as well but you have to pick and choose from a lot of possibilities.

http://www.awdirect.com/default2.asp...s with ratchet

Bill
Old 08-22-2015, 02:28 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Another option with the E-track is a tire net that goes over the top of the tire and attaches to the E-track. You will need a little room in front of the tires on your trailer to accommodate the strap ratchet. I have been using the slings on the front for 10 years with no issues. Still using D rings for the rear with straps X ed. Macs can make custom sized for your tires.
macscustomtiedowns.com
Old 08-22-2015, 05:32 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

This is another great place to buy this kind of stuff.
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/ JD
Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by speedwaywhite
Another option with the E-track is a tire net that goes over the top of the tire and attaches to the E-track. You will need a little room in front of the tires on your trailer to accommodate the strap ratchet. I have been using the slings on the front for 10 years with no issues. Still using D rings for the rear with straps X ed. Macs can make custom sized for your tires.
macscustomtiedowns.com
On your E-track, how did you fasten it to the trailer? Is yours aluminum?
Old 08-23-2015, 12:32 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

On your E-track, how did you fasten it to the trailer? Is yours aluminum?
Yes, its aluminum (enclosed), I drilled holes in the floor (between cross members) and mounted with grade 8 hardware. All E-track is not created equal, if you decide on E-track make sure you get some rated for the loads you will have. The tire net I use has an idler that goes into the E-track in front of the tire, this allows the ratchet to be flat on the floor on top of E-track for easy access. Do you have some space left in front of the tires when your car is loaded on the trailer?
Old 08-23-2015, 08:56 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by speedwaywhite
Yes, its aluminum (enclosed), I drilled holes in the floor (between cross members) and mounted with grade 8 hardware. All E-track is not created equal, if you decide on E-track make sure you get some rated for the loads you will have. The tire net I use has an idler that goes into the E-track in front of the tire, this allows the ratchet to be flat on the floor on top of E-track for easy access. Do you have some space left in front of the tires when your car is loaded on the trailer?

Sure I have space in front of the tires. Looking at how the D rings are mounted, they are bolted through the aluminum deck and a 1/4" steel backing plate below deck. Should I do something similar with the E-Track?
Old 08-23-2015, 10:48 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Sure I have space in front of the tires. Looking at how the D rings are mounted, they are bolted through the aluminum deck and a 1/4" steel backing plate below deck. Should I do something similar with the E-Track?
Backing plate would make stout and secure install, you would have to decide how many backing plates were needed depending on the length of the E-track.
I not an engineer, maybe someone with engineering back ground can chime in with some thoughts/suggestions to determine how many backing plates would be sufficent.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:58 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Ended up going with Mac's Tiedowns wheel nets up front via VersaTrack that will be welded to the floor. Through the wheels in the rear to the D rings.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:57 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Your tie down straps should have a hook on the end? and that goes to the T hook and the T hook goes into the frame on the car. Usually we run the straps crossed. And No it did not mess with the Splitter. Call me if you have any questions. 772 335 8318 JD
In my enclosed trailer I simply lay out the straps in position with the J hooks so that after the car is winched into place I can just reach under by each wheel and install the J hook. Everything ratchets into place as quickly as working around on open trailer.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:56 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Went with Mac's Versa Tie. Just had it welded today. Need to locate the car further back, but have room for that. Just checking out the straps today.
Attached Images    

Last edited by petsur; 09-07-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:53 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Went with Mac's Versa Tie. Just had it welded today. Need to locate the car further back, but have room for that. Just checking out the straps today.
Looks good, nice track install. Macs stuff is top shelf, your set up is very similar to mine which has given me 10 years trouble free service and still going.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:49 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

What is the strength rating on that track engagement knuckle? It really doesn't look all that substantial.

Get notified of new replies

To 18' ATC Trailer Strap Question

Old 09-09-2015, 08:49 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
What is the strength rating on that track engagement knuckle? It really doesn't look all that substantial.
5000 lbs
Old 09-09-2015, 09:55 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Be very fastidious and fussy with the wheel nets. Do not attach them in the dark, double check them after driving 20-50 miles to confirm they didn't move, and measure exactly where they drape onto the tire and do not accept a variance when strapping down. My experience is that the nets stick to hot tires and then as the tires cool and contract the net moves and creates slack. On low cars with little gap between the wheel and well area, it is hard to get your hands and arms behind the wheel to confirm it is firmly wrapping the entire top portion of the tire. If you were using wheel nets on a 4x4, no big deal. Finally: attach a safety chain at the read of the car (weld a D hook to the center of the trailer and run a chain through the rear cradle with very little slack). That will be the final thing holding your car onto the trailer before it comes flying off..

Some or all of the above is based on actual real life events..
Old 09-09-2015, 10:05 AM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Link: http://www.reverselogic.us/trailer-h...--loading.html
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 18' ATC Trailer Strap Question