Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawaii autocross 8-23-15

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 AM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hawaii autocross 8-23-15

Second race with the new shocks, first one with them set other than full soft (Sam you are the man). The new handling characteristics are taking some getting used to, which takes me away from the smoothness I need. As always, constructive criticism is as appreciated.

Last edited by 808EB03Z06; 08-26-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:14 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Fixed the link. Sorry to all that opened with nothing to show.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:23 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Kerry--

A few things about the run/driving. I think you took Evolution so I'll just say it's my contribution to your schooling!

Thing one that sticks out for me, big time is how you look ahead. You look, then check back to make sure you aren't going to hit something, and back "ahead" again. And it's messing you all up. If you watch close you will see that when you look up you smooth out, then you "check back" and you adjust for something close (little jerks of the wheel, not on the gas when you have some room to be but you can't see that, etc).

Here's a dirty secret. You can look too far ahead. You can, it's true, and looks like you might actually be trying to do that a bit. I tell my students to look into and then through the corner, not across the corner. Car goes where you look. You are on one side, you look across to the other instead of more around the corner or through the corner and where do you think you want to go? Where you look, which generally means you are going to run something over in between......so you look back. And looking back kills you as it truncates what you see, and what you see is what you drive.

You need to see the shapes of the corners. Does it open? Does it tighten? Etc.

That's one thing. The other is your seating position. Looks to me like you are kind of laid back and the wheel is a little bit of a reach for you when turning. Also looks like it's kind of in your lap. And you've got a little death grip going on. FWIW the grip thing goes hand in hand with the stuff I mentioned before. But seating wise. Try sitting a little more up, tilt the wheel up a click, and relax. You are driving a car in a parking lot. And if you look more into the corner instead of across them you'll find it'll be easier to relax.

Oh yeah... hope the car is working better.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:28 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the input Sam. I thought I was doing better with my looking ahead, but I do need more work with it. Relaxing is one of my biggest downfalls I have too.

The car felt awesome this past weekend. I am trying to find time to give you a call to see where I should go next, or If I should leave it where it is. The front end felt much more planted than it has ever before.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:31 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Good to hear you like how the car is working. This video is for reference. Taken today on a much smaller lot (though we had a nice little blast off the start. Then it got tight. But you can see how my head/hands, maybe even my eyes work and relate to each other pretty well at times in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5iQ...ature=youtu.be

Get notified of new replies

To Hawaii autocross 8-23-15

Quick Reply: Hawaii autocross 8-23-15