Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kognition wing installed - with tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:06 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeredk21
Looks great mine will run fine all day but oil gets hot at track. Installing a setrab cooler next week.
You didn't do anything to the stock bumper for more cooling? Good to hear. I have an oil cooler so I'm not worried about that so much.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Jeredk21
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stock bumper is cutout behind filler plate to allow airflow in. That's where the cooler will mount. I installed a DeWitts radiator and coolant temps never go about 235 even when getting ran hard. Usually around 220 but my oil temps would climb to 290. Also removed the foam from behind the bumper. The center support rods go threw the bumper and into the front brace. With those I can stand on the splitter all day at 220lbs.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:28 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeredk21
Stock bumper is cutout behind filler plate to allow airflow in. That's where the cooler will mount. I installed a DeWitts radiator and coolant temps never go about 235 even when getting ran hard. Usually around 220 but my oil temps would climb to 290. Also removed the foam from behind the bumper. The center support rods go threw the bumper and into the front brace. With those I can stand on the splitter all day at 220lbs.
Do you have any pics of what your supports are are mounted to? The steel bumper is like 8-10 inches behind the bumper cover is it not? Don't see how you could reach that with out attaching something to the bumper that extends those mounting points forward?

Edit: Pictures showing what I mean. Pics are from Brkntrxn's car.

Last edited by StreetSpeed; 09-10-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:37 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 09-10-2015, 11:20 PM
Jeredk21
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't have any pics but I just made support rods 18" long and they go all the way up to the main brace
Old 09-18-2015, 06:56 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Just an update: Ran the car at Palmer Monday and it felt really good. Only got 3 runs since a bung broke on my headers that I'll need to re-weld. Aero definitely was noticeable in turns 3, 4, and 9 which are very fast left hand sweepers. When I have the ***** I think I'll be able to take turn 4 flat possibly even 9. Will also be nice on the front straight which isn't quite straight. Best lap was 1:47.4 with passenger, old R7s, and horrendous traffic. Car has 1:43s in it with clear track and more seat time, which looks like will be a very competitive ST2 time from what I can see. So, happy about that. The car was running hotter than normal however, and it was only 65 degrees or so. Last time out water never got over 190 on a 93 degree day at Limerock. On Monday it was up to 210. So today I chopped the bumper and funneled the air in better with some .025'' aluminum. Forgot to snap a pic but I'll post it up when I get it.

Last edited by StreetSpeed; 09-18-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:18 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Raced at NJMP with NASA last weekend. My first 2 races and won both of them! Aero worked great. I put 3 more degrees in the wing and went so much quicker through the high speed sweepers. Very happy.

Here's a great pic of the car that also shows the cut I made in the front for more cooling. Still running a little hot. 215 was the highest I saw, but it was 60 or less all weekend. The stock shroud is all mangled and taken apart from chaging the radiator. I taped up all the big air gaps I could find. Running at NJMP on Monday for the last event of the season, so we'll see what that does and then I'll look at better radiator box sealing in the off season.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:02 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Very nice splitters in this thread. Recently purchased 1/2" HDPE sheeting for splitter and 1/8" HDPE to construct radiator shroud for my Tigershark front bumper cover. Generous openings in front for capturing oncoming air to direct to radiator, oil cooler, brakes, etc... Thanks For The Ideas and Images.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:20 PM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Finished product. Ended up going with Longacre supports since I ran out of time. I'm not in love with my work on the front end. Really need to fab in something to the frame to hold the supports going into the bumper. You would definitely not want to stand on this thing! But, as long as it doesn't get ripped off this year and seems to be effective, I'll make it more secure over the winter.

Also let it idle for 15 minutes in the 95 degree heat and it never got over 185. I thought that was encouraging, but I'll bring the Sawzall when I hit the track on Monday just in case.

Looks good from 10 feet away!
SICK *** RIDE!!!
Old 10-25-2015, 05:07 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Raced at NJMP with NASA last weekend. My first 2 races and won both of them! Aero worked great. I put 3 more degrees in the wing and went so much quicker through the high speed sweepers. Very happy.

Congrats. Sounds like the car worked well. Great work!

I heard they were running at Lightning. Winning lap times and or qualifying?

Quick Reply: Kognition wing installed - with tips