Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front LCA bushing and adj end link ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 04:41 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default front LCA bushing and adj end link ?

Picked up an 02 Z and looking at this front L LCA bushing, it's the worst I have seen on a vette. Only question is should I replce it before I do 1 trackday at RRR in 3 weeks?

I will be driving there and back from ATL.

Other question, car has T1 bars and adj end links. I have read lots of threads, but no clear answer to should I be able to turn the body of the endlink easily by hand? This is with car at ride height (susp loaded) or on jack stands (susp unloaded)

TIA
Old 08-30-2015, 06:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Looks like the LCAs on my 97 after 6 years of auto crossing and HPDEs. Yes, you should replace the LCAs and maybe the UCAs if you have time. When this happened on my 97 we didn't have time to get new LCAs or to install poly's so the dealer mechanic suggested installing some large flat washers between the LCA and the cradle so the cradle wouldn't be damaged by the LCA moving up and down. Of course with the LCAs pushed back that far it is almost impossible to set anywhere near the amount of caster you want (I think the max he could get was +3). His solution to that was to install studs in the holes for the UCA mounts and to use regular alignment shims to improve the caster. I did two autocrosses and 1 HPDE day with that jury rig. It worked.

Bill
Old 08-31-2015, 12:51 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by bags142
Other question, car has T1 bars and adj end links. I have read lots of threads, but no clear answer to should I be able to turn the body of the endlink easily by hand? This is with car at ride height (susp loaded) or on jack stands (susp unloaded)

TIA
You should be able to turn them with suspension loaded, a little bit & not easy, but they should rotate/move some. If not then they are probably a little out of perfect adjustment/alignment.

I should have a video on this, look thru my corvette playlist on the channel.

If you want to stay stock I have a full set c5 control arms including NEW T1 front uppers (I am not "giving them away") they are pricy.

Last edited by froggy47; 08-31-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:22 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Looks like the LCAs on my 97 after 6 years of auto crossing and HPDEs. Yes, you should replace the LCAs and maybe the UCAs if you have time. When this happened on my 97 we didn't have time to get new LCAs or to install poly's so the dealer mechanic suggested installing some large flat washers between the LCA and the cradle so the cradle wouldn't be damaged by the LCA moving up and down. Of course with the LCAs pushed back that far it is almost impossible to set anywhere near the amount of caster you want (I think the max he could get was +3). His solution to that was to install studs in the holes for the UCA mounts and to use regular alignment shims to improve the caster. I did two autocrosses and 1 HPDE day with that jury rig. It worked.

Bill
Thanks Bill. I have some old rubber ones I pulled out of another car I will stuff into there short term before the track day.

Originally Posted by froggy47
You should be able to turn them with suspension loaded, a little bit & not easy, but they should rotate/move some. If not then they are probably a little out of perfect adjustment/alignment.

I should have a video on this, look thru my corvette playlist on the channel.

If you want to stay stock I have a full set c5 control arms including NEW T1 front uppers (I am not "giving them away") they are pricy.
Thanks Froggy. They are sloppy! And I hear lots of clunks as well. They have some rubber bushings between the control arms and end links, so I think these are worn out.

I will give Sam a call and see if the Whitelines are as good as he claims

Get notified of new replies

To front LCA bushing and adj end link ?

Quick Reply: front LCA bushing and adj end link ?