Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Diagnosing Rear Tie Rod/hub play (C5Z)

Old 08-31-2015, 09:59 AM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help Diagnosing Rear Tie Rod/hub play (C5Z)

Hey Guys,

I am wondering if you can give me some advice here. I've been pretty religious about checking for play in hubs/ball joints when changing tires between track events. I just replaced both front hubs this year with SKFs and have been keeping an eye on the rears. The rear hubs seems good so far but when I grab the tire at 9 and 3 o'clock and push/pull I can feel what seems like some play. I pulled one of the ball joints off before the last event and moving it around by hand it felt nice and tight so I assumed all was well, is that correct? Should I replace the tie rod ends anyway? If so which ones should I go with? OEM seem to be $120 each from ZIP and Ecklers has some heavy duty ones for $45 each? Seems sort of backwards. Car is an 02' Z06. Thanks for the help
Old 08-31-2015, 12:25 PM
Vettechris996
Instructor

I should also say I'm feeling this with the car jacked up and the suspension at full drop. Perhaps that's incorrect.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettechris996
I should also say I'm feeling this with the car jacked up and the suspension at full drop. Perhaps that's incorrect.
Try it with the car on the ground on a turnplate or some plastic bags or anything that will let the tire move easy.

Get a friend to move the wheel while you go other side & look, listen, feel with your hands.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:01 PM
Vettechris996
Instructor

I'll give that a try, thanks Froggy!
Old 09-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettechris996
If you are getting movement with your hands at 9 and 3 with the suspension unloaded replace the tie rod ends. I have GMPP which covers hubs and tie rod ends. As soon as I feel any looseness I take the car to the dealer and tell them I have a loose tie rod or hub and once they check it they agree with me and replace it. There shouldn't be any looseness in the tie rods no matter what angle the suspension is sitting.

Bill
Old 09-02-2015, 03:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you are getting movement with your hands at 9 and 3 with the suspension unloaded replace the tie rod ends. I have GMPP which covers hubs and tie rod ends. As soon as I feel any looseness I take the car to the dealer and tell them I have a loose tie rod or hub and once they check it they agree with me and replace it. There shouldn't be any looseness in the tie rods no matter what angle the suspension is sitting.

Bill
I agree with Bill, my way to test the tie rod ends is to get under the car (jacked up) and move the wheel with one hand and put my other hand around the rod end, that way I can really feel directly if it moves/loose.

For wheel bearings I like suspension loaded on a turn plate/slippy surface.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Uhhtaken
Instructor

Location: Jacksonville,nc and Williamsburg,va North Carolina and virginia
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just went through this myself, replaced the wheel hub and still had play so I looked deeper and it was the tie rod end. Replaced it and everything is now back together and feels better than ever.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Vettechris996
Instructor

OK thanks guys. Will do. Any advice one which ones to get?
Old 09-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Uhhtaken
Instructor

I bought one from ecklers, install went without a hitch. Was about a half an inch longer than the stock one but I've had no issues at all.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I just bought 2 ecklers cause of slight play at 3 and 9. I'll try to measure close, but prob still need to align toe.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Uhhtaken
Instructor

I measured mine pretty well but the alignment was off so I spent the afternoon adjusting and driving to get it back to where it was, then back to my trusty alignment shop and all has been great.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:14 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Two pieces of floor tile with sand between them

Get notified of new replies

To Help Diagnosing Rear Tie Rod/hub play (C5Z)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Diagnosing Rear Tie Rod/hub play (C5Z)