Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTM questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:40 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default PTM questions

What model year was this introduced?
Has it been "tweaked" in subsequent years?
Do you use any of the settings?
Track
Autox

Does this replace "launch control"

Old 09-09-2015, 03:44 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default PTM questions

2014 on mag ride equipped z51.

I'm sure the software has been updated here and there. You can purchase the "rough track" update at a dealer for $325 on Z06 models.

On my stingray I put it in track mode and disable the the PTM, traction control, and stabillitrak.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:44 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,969 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL
2014 on mag ride equipped z51.

I'm sure the software has been updated here and there. You can purchase the "rough track" update at a dealer for $325 on Z06 models.

On my stingray I put it in track mode and disable the the PTM, traction control, and stabillitrak.

I believe the first usage was the 2010 ZR1.

It does not replace launch control, but you can use launch control with it.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:53 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Default PTM questions

Originally Posted by z28lt1
I believe the first usage was the 2010 ZR1.

It does not replace launch control, but you can use launch control with it.
Sorry, I associate PTM with C7. It originated in the CTS-V I believe. Somewhere around 08-09 I think.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:28 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Here is a thread from M5POST re:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...0#post18553250

So is/was "available" on 11/12/13 if ordered/equipped.

Rough Track update sounds a little like teflon lifetime coating on the paint or maybe more like a 200/300 dollar nav map update. Watch out for that one.

Last edited by froggy47; 09-09-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:56 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Default PTM questions

Originally Posted by froggy47
Here is a thread from M5POST re:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...0#post18553250

So is/was "available" on 11/12/13 if ordered/equipped.

Rough Track update sounds a little like teflon lifetime coating on the paint or maybe more like a 200/300 dollar nav map update. Watch out for that one.
It does have some validity for those who run rough tracks a lot. It relaxes the shocks to be a bit more absorbent. Why it costs so much I have no idea.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:30 PM
froggy47
Race Director

It does have some validity for those who run rough tracks a lot. It relaxes the shocks to be a bit more absorbent. Why it costs so much I have no idea.
Not to but I thought the whole point of these mag shocks that adjust a "insert a very large number" of times per second was to handle all those variations.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:46 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Default PTM questions

Not to but I thought the whole point of these mag shocks that adjust a "insert a very large number" of times per second was to handle all those variations.

The Z07 track mode is set pretty stiff. The Z07 springs seem to be a good bit stiffer too.

Mero programs the MR and it think it may be on the aggressive side so the new cal just dials it back a little.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

The Z07 track mode is set pretty stiff. The Z07 springs seem to be a good bit stiffer too.

Mero programs the MR and it think it may be on the aggressive side so the new cal just dials it back a little.
I posted this in the C7Z section a while back. Got this from the folks at GM. FE7 is the Z07 suspension and FE6 is the normal Z06.

"The front spring is 62% higher rate on the FE7 than the FE6.
The rear spring is 22% higher rate on the FE7 than the FE6.

The different stab bar bushing tuning helps get the car to the appropriate understeer level.

The MR shocks on the FE7 have a tighter gap which means a higher “passive” curve in addition to a more aggressive MR damping tuning."

I'm guessing that the rough track calibration only affects the active part of the MR damping curve.

I actually tried swapping the FE7 sway bar bushing on my FE6 car and was interesting but not in a good way. The car was pretty prone to snap oversteer. Just squeezing the two the FE7 rear bushings felt much harder and the fronts maybe a little softer material.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 09-10-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

What model year was this introduced?
Has it been "tweaked" in subsequent years?
Do you use any of the settings?
Track
Autox

Does this replace "launch control"

Froggy, did you see the fairly detailed response in the "Ask Tadge" section on PTM?

To be honest I can't say that I've noticed any real lap time difference on track between PTM Sport 1, Sport 2 and Race. If you're smooth the AH doesn't intervene but in theory the higher modes will let you put a little more power down.

I ran PTM Wet one time at VIR in the rain. I should post the PDR video if I can find it but you watch the front end of the car lift as you accelerate and drop when you shift. The PTM was also limiting power like crazy but it's not intrusive like the older systems.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Froggy, did you see the fairly detailed response in the "Ask Tadge" section on PTM?

To be honest I can't say that I've noticed any real lap time difference on track between PTM Sport 1, Sport 2 and Race. If you're smooth the AH doesn't intervene but in theory the higher modes will let you put a little more power down.

I ran PTM Wet one time at VIR in the rain. I should post the PDR video if I can find it but you watch the front end of the car lift as you accelerate and drop when you shift. The PTM was also limiting power like crazy but it's not intrusive like the older systems.
Thanks, yes I finally did, I try to do my own search b4 I post stuff, but the CF search engine is so so.

I do still have a question, what TIRE TEMPS does PTM look for in order to "unleash" more power?

Old 09-10-2015, 05:51 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, yes I finally did, I try to do my own search b4 I post stuff, but the CF search engine is so so.

I do still have a question, what TIRE TEMPS does PTM look for in order to "unleash" more power?

Honestly, I don't believe it does. I know of one person that theorized that to be the case based on something in a GM ad but I don't recall ever seeing anything official on that. I ran an entire weekend on wheels with no TPMS and couldn't tell a difference.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:00 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Default PTM questions

I posted this in the C7Z section a while back. Got this from the folks at GM. FE7 is the Z07 suspension and FE6 is the normal Z06.

"The front spring is 62% higher rate on the FE7 than the FE6.
The rear spring is 22% higher rate on the FE7 than the FE6.

The different stab bar bushing tuning helps get the car to the appropriate understeer level.

The MR shocks on the FE7 have a tighter gap which means a higher “passive” curve in addition to a more aggressive MR damping tuning."

I'm guessing that the rough track calibration only affects the active part of the MR damping curve.

I actually tried swapping the FE7 sway bar bushing on my FE6 car and was interesting but not in a good way. The car was pretty prone to snap oversteer. Just squeezing the two the FE7 rear bushings felt much harder and the fronts maybe a little softer material.
So it's just the bushing material that's different and not the actual sway bars, correct?

I have a small project that I'm working on and wanted to determine all of the differences between a fe6 and fe7.

I wonder what the rough track cal on an fe6 would do.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

So it's just the bushing material that's different and not the actual sway bars, correct?

I have a small project that I'm working on and wanted to determine all of the differences between a fe6 and fe7.

I wonder what the rough track cal on an fe6 would do.
Yes, just the bushings as the bars are the same. You also might want to look at this thread I started yesterday but so far nobody seems interested in but me

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-package.html
Old 09-11-2015, 11:48 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Default PTM questions

I'm interested and working on some things. You're quite resourceful!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:49 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Default PTM questions

Yes, just the bushings as the bars are the same. You also might want to look at this thread I started yesterday but so far nobody seems interested in but me

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-package.html
Interestingly enough, GM engineering has told me that a 15 and 16 spring are different due to ride height adjustments. They told me the 15 spring would not work.

I have a hard time believing that more than the adjuster screws is any different.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:13 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

I only have a 2014 Z51 with MRC, but I have changed the sway bars and wheels/tires.

I have found a few things with PTM and my car.
No matter what sub-mode I select (Wet, Sport1, Sport2, Race),
there was always some interference.
Now I am talking about autocross, but exiting a corner, when I try to get on it, there was always some "bog", even in Race mode.

So, I now disable Traction control and Active Handling, which fundamentally disables PTM, and it does what I want it to.

Get notified of new replies

To PTM questions

Old 09-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Interestingly enough, GM engineering has told me that a 15 and 16 spring are different due to ride height adjustments. They told me the 15 spring would not work.

I have a hard time believing that more than the adjuster screws is any different.
Which springs are different? front/rear/both? Are the FE6 and FE7 springs both different?
Old 09-12-2015, 11:49 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Default PTM questions

Which springs are different? front/rear/both? Are the FE6 and FE7 springs both different?
All I know is that they told me that the fe7 springs are not available right now due to a ride height change. I'm looking deeper into this.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:15 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Default PTM questions

Gm says the FE7's front and rear are not available.

Quick Reply: PTM questions