Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJMP Thunderbolt and TT4C

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:11 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NJMP Thunderbolt and TT4C

I will be running with a group unknown to me "Track Time 4 Cars" (TT4C) at a track I ran 2 sessions 4 years ago, NJMP Thunderbolt later this month. TT4C only allows Advanced drivers and has 7 sessions per day, wow! No instructors or coaches, just track time with one run group and MOTORCYCLES running their own sessions during day! Has anyone run with these folks and how are they? And would welcome any tips on the Thunderbolt track. Hope the group is good as I have registered and paid! So far I am the only Corvette registered, I'll do my best to represent the crossed flags car against several GT3s entered.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:59 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by V8 Juice
I will be running with a group unknown to me "Track Time 4 Cars" (TT4C) at a track I ran 2 sessions 4 years ago, NJMP Thunderbolt later this month. TT4C only allows Advanced drivers and has 7 sessions per day, wow! No instructors or coaches, just track time with one run group and MOTORCYCLES running their own sessions during day! Has anyone run with these folks and how are they? And would welcome any tips on the Thunderbolt track. Hope the group is good as I have registered and paid! So far I am the only Corvette registered, I'll do my best to represent the crossed flags car against several GT3s entered.
They're decent folks but they're motorcycles-first for sure. They add in cars to fill up and help pay for track time but they will lecture you about staying off the kerbs - they don't want dirt & gravel on the track. Been a lot of years since I ran with them and it was an OK day but there are groups I prefer(Hooked on Driving). I'm a member at NJMP now so most of my days are with the members.

Thunderbolt is tricky on the back end. Turn 4 is much faster than you first think it is, and definitely faster than you want it to be, but the "Jersey Devil" section is the part where you never quite feel like you did it right, T9 particularly. There are a few theories on how to get through there and the reality is that they're all probably correct so it's whatever you're comfortable with that gets you through it. I come over to the inside kerb very briefly at T8 and then try to get the wheel straight for hard braking at T9.

Here's a video of a few laps at the beginning of August:

Old 09-09-2015, 05:15 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Dan, Thanks for the info. We may of met at NCM VIR or with Mike Newlander. The only time I was on Thunderbolt was a couple of sessions as a guest of Frank Gonzalez in May 2009. Your video wasn't accepted even when I changed the tu.be to tube.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:34 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

BTW, I like Hooked On Driving who is running NJMP this weekend but conflicts on my schedule. Also like Track Daze and run the Spring Watkins Glen event with Chin and lots of NCM including September last year and April this year at the MSP in BG.Nice track.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:51 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by V8 Juice
Dan, Thanks for the info. We may of met at NCM VIR or with Mike Newlander. The only time I was on Thunderbolt was a couple of sessions as a guest of Frank Gonzalez in May 2009. Your video wasn't accepted even when I changed the tu.be to tube.
Hey Art - yeah we did meet that day with Frank(miss that guy!) and we've said hello a few times at VIR.

The video is marked as public, not sure why you'd have trouble with it. This is a different link, maybe it will work better for you:

Old 09-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
Hey Art - yeah we did meet that day with Frank(miss that guy!) and we've said hello a few times at VIR.
Is that the same car you were running 2 years ago Komoman? I thought I met you and your wife at Thunderbolt, but I thought your car was close to stock.

Ron
Old 09-11-2015, 03:12 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
Is that the same car you were running 2 years ago Komoman? I thought I met you and your wife at Thunderbolt, but I thought your car was close to stock.

Ron
Hey Ron!

Not sure if we ever did end up getting to meet but no, not the same car from a couple of years ago. Two years back I was running an '02 Z06 that had a roll bar but not caged. We stopped tracking (and eventually sold) our stock '08 Z06 that my wife was running and bought that T1/T2 prepped car from Joe Aquilante last year and had our '02 caged for her in the offseason. Gotta always keep upping the safety ante as you gain speed.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:45 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Looked at video last night; nice driving! Very helpful, thanks. I had the most trouble figuring out how to place my car in the 7, 8, 9 sweeper.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
Hey Ron!

Not sure if we ever did end up getting to meet but no, not the same car from a couple of years ago. Two years back I was running an '02 Z06 that had a roll bar but not caged. We stopped tracking (and eventually sold) our stock '08 Z06 that my wife was running and bought that T1/T2 prepped car from Joe Aquilante last year and had our '02 caged for her in the offseason. Gotta always keep upping the safety ante as you gain speed.
Yup, we definitely spoke for a few minutes. I remember you guys had the 2 cars & being impressed by your wife's knowledge!

Get notified of new replies

To NJMP Thunderbolt and TT4C

Quick Reply: NJMP Thunderbolt and TT4C