Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain Advice this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:04 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Rain Advice this weekend

Good morning all,
Looks like we'll see some rain at Summit Point this weekend. I've only driven once in rain, it was the first time I solo'd at Watkins Glen with PCA. I have a relatively stock C5 with Nitto NT-05's.

I still want to run and I figure there is a lot to learn about car control in the rain. Interested in your advice

Thanks guys
Old 09-10-2015, 07:50 AM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

get track insurance Kidding, well sort of. I know you could use the 'wet line' and generally take it down a few tenths especially since its not a race. Probably want to leave most, if all the nannies on but as we know they can be pretty intrusive.
The following users liked this post:
Dan H. (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 08:20 AM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a new set of Nitto 05's on my C4. I have not run them in the rain and cannot speak from experience, but based on all I have read they do not do well. I will be running Continental Extreme Contact DW's if I'm in the rain. Just my two cents. Good luck!
Dan H. (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
get track insurance Kidding, well sort of. I know you could use the 'wet line' and generally take it down a few tenths especially since its not a race. Probably want to leave most, if all the nannies on but as we know they can be pretty intrusive.
I buy the insurance for for all my days now. Every event I've been to at least one car has gone home in a basket, sometimes more than one
Old 09-10-2015, 09:08 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Advice - GO, DRIVE, LEARN!

I used to have more wet days than dry days at Road Atlanta and learned tons of useful stuff.

On your out lap look for the places water is puddling - try to avoid them
If a stream of water is across the track - KNOW it will upset the car and be prepared for it.
STAY OFF ANY PAINTED SURFACE!
Find the wet line that works for you and your car. At Road Atlanta driving a Mustang I found the good wet line was just off the paint (almost where my dry line was!). In my corvette and camaro that line didn't work at all.
Dan H. (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 11:37 AM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I will be there this weekend as well. Black C5 Z06 no.444 in advanced group. I am running well worn NT01s. I typically do not run those tires in the rain, will run if track is damp. I have difficulty catching oversteer in the rain in my car. I always run with the active handling off. I cannot drive it effectively in competitive mode. I have run NT05s. I would suggest to take it easy and leave the active handling on, but my rain experience is limited. I tend to run VERY conservatively in the damp and use the time to observe the track camber, rise, fall, turn in points etc. I hope to see you at the track. David
Dan H. (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks for the advice all. I only get to do 4 or so events a year so I can't see canceling, I've been looking forward to it for too long!

David,
I'll certainly stop by to say hello. Most of my events have been with PCA so it'll be nice to talk to some good corvette folks!

Dan
Old 09-11-2015, 10:50 AM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Early and gradual on the brakes and late and gradual on the throttle. Smoother than normal on the steering inputs. Increase the arc of your turns as much as possible. Take big plastic bags and put over your seat backs. Keeps them dry and looking good for longer.

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Thanks for the advice all. I only get to do 4 or so events a year so I can't see canceling, I've been looking forward to it for too long!

David,
I'll certainly stop by to say hello. Most of my events have been with PCA so it'll be nice to talk to some good corvette folks!

Dan
Old 09-11-2015, 11:56 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all, be optimistic! the weather will probably just be passing afternoon thunderstorms and if the track is warm, it will dry quickly. Watch for puddles and running water as one poster said and bear in mind that the grass will remain wet and if you leave the track, you MOST PROBABLY WILL hit something.

The advice I give my students is:
1. The track surface will probably be slicker than any rain covered highway you've driven on.
2. The places where you need the most traction will probably have the least amount of traction.
3. As stated above, if you leave the track, you will probably hit something before you stop.

So, slow down to 50-60% and have fun.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-12-2015, 12:46 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default How's it going?

Hey Dan

We lucked up here in Pittsburgh.
Started with a damp track, but skies have partially cleared, and rain is holding off till maybe 4:00.

How's your day at Summit Point shaping up? Even if rainy, the advice above should get you through for a fun day.

A bad (weather) day at the track beats a day at work any way you slice it.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:46 PM
Antithesis
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hope all is going well up there Dan. My experience at Summit is that turns 1-2 and 5 get very slippery in the wet, and turn 9 demands extra caution. A large lake will form mid track on the entry to 10. I'm guessing by now you have already been on track and noted these things.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Best advice for running in the wet....

Motor gently any time you can't see the grain of the surface...

for there lurks the skid demon.....

And forget lines... if you can't see the grain,,, drive where you can...
Old 09-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks for the advice guys!
We had downpours this morning, pretty tough to see anything let alone drive fast. First two runs I found how bad nt05's are on a wet surface. Turns that have been patched where dicey to say the least. Lots of taking it easy and nanny intervention. But, the rain stopped and the track dried out some and we had two runs where we could put some power down. My biggest surprise was how much traction there was when the track seemed just kinda dry.
Forecast for tomorrow looks about perfect. Thanks again for the advice guys!
Old 09-12-2015, 08:00 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

If you were running with the nannies on in the rain, take a good look at your brake pads, especially the rears. You may have encountered more wear than expected and you would rather know if before a session.

Glad to hear you ran in the wet. A lot of people shy away from it, but it is one of the single best car control learning opportunities for a driver.

Get notified of new replies

To Rain Advice this weekend

Quick Reply: Rain Advice this weekend