Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recommend me a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:42 PM
SIB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default recommend me a helmet

hey guys

gonna be doing HPDEs and need a helmet

do you guys recommend full or open face helmet?

looking to spend 150-200$

what is the best helmet for the money?

dont have to be new, will be looking on craigslist for used helmets also

thanks
Old 09-10-2015, 02:11 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by SIB
hey guys

thanks
closed face definatly
Gforce for lower price, go some where you can try it on.
the best fit is just tight enough it doesn't give you a headache
The following users liked this post:
SIB (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 02:55 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Zamp is the cheapest Snell approved helmet I have found. Both open & full.
Have one.
Get a 2010 Snell as 2015's are not out yet.
SIB (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 05:13 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Definitely a full-face helmet. Most all groups that hold events requires that the side windows be down. It's easy for things like small stones, rubber "marbles" and other junk to get picked up by a car in front of you and then tossed back. With an open face helmet, that stuff can blow in the side window and smack you in the face. A full-face helmet will stop that.

Most full face helmets will let you change eye shields; standard is a clear shield and you should be able to get light or dark smoke tint, yellow, and even blue.

I have this Pyrotect helmet that fits very well and has replaceable headliner and cheek pads.

I have heard that the SA2015 helmets will be available later this month or early October. You may find SA2010 helmets at reduces prices as clear-outs. Look at Bell, Simpson, G-Force and HJC for good SA helmets.

Pay close attention to sizing information. Most helmet manufacturers will use either hat sizes or just S, M, L, and XL. I have found that helmets from different manufacturers may not fit the same for the same size. It's a real good idea to try on various brands and models to see what fits you the best.

And it's been said here a number of times, "if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet". Good quality helmets can easily run to $700 and more.

Did you check with the event to see if they offer loaner helmets? Maybe better to use one of theirs if they have them available. That gives you a chance to look for helmets.
SIB (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 05:41 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

It amazes me that people are willing to cheap out on saftey items such as helmets, seats, belts, etc.

I'd spend the extra money and at least look at pyrotech.
SIB (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Sharkbite 6870
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default recommend me a helmet

I bought the Zamp full faced snell 2010 model it was fine definitely worth it. $170
Old 09-10-2015, 07:36 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Go to SafeRacer.com and look thru their supply of SA2010's. The SA2015's come out next month, so the older ones are on sale. For racing, the helmet can be used for 10 years after the date on the helmet. Most racers agree that 5 years of regular use is about all you get out of a helmet anyway, so don't worry about the expiration date. The expiration date is even longer for HPDE's.
At one time people were cautioned about wearing full face helmets in cars that have airbags. Apparently the force from an expanding airbag hits the chin part and increases the risk of neck injury.
I still wear a full face helmet in my street/ track car because that is what I wear n my race car. I am careful to not hit anything that would deploy the airbags, but aren't we all?
Don't even consider a used helmet.
SIB (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 08:07 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SIB
hey guys

thanks
Shopping for a used helmet on Craigslist rank right up there with shopping for use socks. Not recommended.

The most preferred way to purchase the right helmet is go to a race shop with a good selection and try on a lot of different helmets. I have found there is a very low correlation between fit/comfort and price. Having said that, the odds of getting something good for $150 are low. This is like buying dress shoes. If they fit well you will wear them often and if not you will hate the sight of them.

Get a full face with the most recent Snell approval.

Some HPDE/HPDS organizations rent helmets if you don't want to spend much money.
SIB (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 09:13 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I was looking for the best $250-300 retail priced SA2010 helmet recently-- wanted to try and find a good closeout deal. Best deal I came across and what I went with was the G-force Pro Eliminator SA2010. Saferacer.com has them for 186 shipped new, I picked up a matt black one up on ebay for 160 shipped. I browsed around some local shops and got to test fit this particular one before ordering as well. They were asking $250 and didn't see a reason to drop prices, even with the 2015 stuff on the horizon...

http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-pro...-sa2010-helmet
SIB (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 04:07 PM
SIB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the info guys, so i will deff be buying a new helmet

so this is a decent helmet for the money? also if i do HANS later will this helmet work?

Old 09-11-2015, 04:18 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by SIB
thanks for all the info guys, so i will deff be buying a new helmet

so this is a decent helmet for the money? also if i do HANS later will this helmet work?

Old 09-12-2015, 08:38 PM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I personally would not use an open faced helmet. I have marks on my helmet from things hitting it through the open drivers window. Plus if it is raining lightly we still keep windows down.
I am upgrading mine next year and I will be looking for a SNELL 2010. That rating will be good until 2020 and after 5 years of sweating in it, you want to replace it.
As far as a used helmet, I would never even think about it. You have no idea if the helmet has been compromised in any way.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:45 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Fit is critical. You can't buy helmets from Amazon.com. You really need to try them on Here's an article i wrote about helmets last year.

Richard Newton
Old 09-13-2015, 02:02 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You HAVE to try them on. I thought Bell or Simpson would be my pick and they rubbed my forehead bad. HJC fit comfortably and was a good price. The lighter the helmet, the better. If you crash, the less force on your neck from less weight might save your neck.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:38 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait a couple months and get a 2015 helmet. You'll get double the use out of it. SA2010's will be worthless by 2020. A SA 2015 will be good 5 years longer.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:24 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

There is no substitute for comparison, trying on helmets and getting one that is both the correct size and is comfortable to wear for several hours at a time is the only way to go. We all have different shaped heads, so each helmet brand will feel differently. Somebody may like Arai but it won't fit your friend with the same head measurement. Spend some time on helmet manufacturers websites, even go to a motorcycle shop that sells helmets and try different brands. I can wear my Arai all day long, even on a hot day and yet the helmet is snug and fits properly. A good shop is able to show you how it's supposed to fit.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:26 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing
Wait a couple months and get a 2015 helmet. You'll get double the use out of it. SA2010's will be worthless by 2020. A SA 2015 will be good 5 years longer.
I started HPDEing in 2010 and bought a SA2005. It is now approaching being out of date and it is still in great shape. Wait if you can.

Get notified of new replies

To recommend me a helmet

Old 09-17-2015, 05:23 PM
TRAKOUT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Fit is critical. You can't buy helmets from Amazon.com. You really need to try them on Here's an article i wrote about helmets last year.

Richard Newton
Great article!!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:28 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The Bell M4 is a very popular and reasonably priced helmet. It's pre-drilled for HANS anchors and well made.
Not sure if there will be a change in the SA2015 line, but it's a great choice.
https://www.bellracing.com/helmets/racer-series/m-4
S.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Price range floor is around $300 for good helmets that will protect your head and hold up to a lot of on track time. Prices for super light weight pro driver helmets run upwards of $3000. There are plenty of manufacturers (Simpson, Bell, Impact, Arai, G Force, Stilo, etc) so try and find a local race shop that has a selection or is able to order in a few different models (circle track shops are a lot more prevalent than road race shops so talk to local dirt or asphalt drivers about where they get their equipment). It used to be most helmet sizes were the same as hat sizes which gave you a chance to get in the ball park size wise. Now the lower cost (but still good helmets) come in small, medium and large while the more expensive helmets still come in hat sizes. I have an SA2010 Impact Helmet that fits well. It is tight across the forehead but not too tight and doesn't move around on my head. One thing to do is to check the variety of cheek pads that come with the helmets and which ones are available to order. I ordered a set of Y pads for my Impact and they work great with my Chatterbox's in helmet speakers and microphone. Stilo's are sort of the crème-de-la-crème of helmets. Try one on and you will be lusting after them but will probably settle for something less costly (lowest price one is around $800). Make sure you get one that is at least pre-drilled for HANS devices as you might want to add that equipment at a later date.

Bill

Quick Reply: recommend me a helmet