Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Cold Air Intakes make a differenct in Lap times?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:38 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Do Cold Air Intakes make a differenct in Lap times?

I know with the right dyno etc, you can get some moderate increases in peak HP from a cold air intake.

My question is, does this actually make a difference in lap times?
Old 09-21-2015, 08:49 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
I know with the right dyno etc, you can get some moderate increases in peak HP from a cold air intake.

My question is, does this actually make a difference in lap times?
Theoretically if you're already maxing out your lap times then yes but only by a small amount. You're not talking a huge horsepower difference there to see big gains but you should see "something" if you can run consistent laps. But for most I don't think you'd see a thing.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:52 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
Theoretically if you're already maxing out your lap times then yes but only by a small amount. You're not talking a huge horsepower difference there to see big gains but you should see "something" if you can run consistent laps. But for most I don't think you'd see a thing.
X2. Unless you're running extremely consistent lap times (like with in a couple tenths all the time) I don't imagine the 10rwhp or so you'll get from a CAI will translate into lap times. But, if you happen to be Randy Pobst, then I guess it would make a difference.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:30 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I was able to see 4-6 mph increase at end of VIR backstretch after I installed my Vararam. I should have measured the IATs of before and after, but I didn't think about it.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:17 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

As the others said, with all else being equal and IF you can throw down laps within a hundreds of a second of each other consistently, it might make a sliver of difference if you can optimize the extra 10hp. In the real world, the answer is NO.

I still run the stock air box on my car with a simple K&N air filter.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Soloontario
Pro

In Time-Attack competition, sometimes you win or lose by a few tenths. My top speeds according to an AiM data logger, tend to be very close I.e within a couple of MPH or less lap to lap but lap times usually vary by at least a few tenths or more (although not always).

OTOH I gather some CAIs increase peak HP but may drop the torque curve to make no net change to actual acceleration.

If I add a CAI for next year, I'll let you know the difference (if there is one). On a high HP track like Mosport, an extra 10 hp might make a difference.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:00 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
I was able to see 4-6 mph increase at end of VIR backstretch after I installed my Vararam. I should have measured the IATs of before and after, but I didn't think about it.
Did you install is the same day in between runs? If you were doing 145 and all the sudden doing 151, you picked up alot more than 10whp.

Last edited by StreetSpeed; 09-21-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:45 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Did you install is the same day in between runs? If you were doing 145 and all the sudden doing 151, you picked up alot more than 10whp.
I agree, that seems like a big change and likely indicates more than 10 hp gain. OTOH there has to be some ram air effect at higher speeds so maybe they make more than 10 hp at high speed.

I hear the Vararam is a PITA to install while others are much simpler.

What other CAIs have people used ?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I have a like new Callaway intake for sale in TX with the matching shroud for sale for an LS3. That's a quality system that is dyno proven to add more than 10 rwhp.

To me, CAIs, offer the most bang for the buck. There are very few downsides.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:23 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Not between runs, but between different track day events. Before the VR, I was consistently 145-146 top speed. After VR, I broke 150 for the first time. I cannot remember any other mods. Seems like I posted a thread here, but that was 6 years ago. It is not scientific as I did not have my lap timer then.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:28 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I think a CAI can make a difference in lap times for the simple reason of intake temps. If a system provides cold air consistently it helps overcome power loss resulting from heat soak. Since my car is a full race car, my present cold air intake setup is a custom setup I built around a reversed intake. My custom carbon fiber air box is located where the glovebox used to be and its fed from the cowl, so under hood temps don't factor in. Prior to this setup, my intake was located under hood and would suck hot air to the point where my best lap would be my first, on stone cold tires. (And I mean dropping off significantly.)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:29 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd be willing to bet the weather conditions were radically different between those two days. (With your faster lap times coming on a much cooler day).

Originally Posted by waddisme
Not between runs, but between different track day events. Before the VR, I was consistently 145-146 top speed. After VR, I broke 150 for the first time. I cannot remember any other mods. Seems like I posted a thread here, but that was 6 years ago. It is not scientific as I did not have my lap timer then.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:37 PM
Soloontario
Pro

I understand the issues with the "flip-tie" shroud cutting mod.

Does the SLP blackwing work with a C5Z or just a plain C5 ?

Get notified of new replies

To Do Cold Air Intakes make a differenct in Lap times?

Quick Reply: Do Cold Air Intakes make a differenct in Lap times?