Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Spec'ing Carhauler and Legal Weights

Old 09-20-2015, 09:58 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,866 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Help with Spec'ing Carhauler and Legal Weights

So I'm about to order an open gooseneck car hauler to transport two cars to the track, one being a c6z06. The other car for now is a GTI. I'm also planning so that I can carry whatever cars we have in the future. I will also use the trailer to haul tractors, a truck, etc. I fully understand the difference between what is SAFE and what is LEGAL. The truck and/or trailer will absolutely exceed the safety requirements of any load I carry.

My primary question is what are my legal weight limitations federally?

The way I understand it, there are 2 seperate considerations: 1 the limits of my drivers license, the other the limits of the truck and/or trailer. The drivers license is easy as over 26,001 requires a Class A. The second part is why I'm making this thread.

The truck is a 2015 F250 diesel 4wd CCSB.
GVWR 10,000
GCWR 23,500
Curb weight scaled 8,480 with my wife and I in and a full tank of fuel.
Front GAWR 5600
Front scaled 4840
Rear GAWR 6100
Rear scaled 3440

The trailer I am looking at is a PJ 8" superwide gooseneck, model B8. It's GVWR is 15680, and I will likely use dual 7k discs with load range G tires.
Estimated curb weight of trailer is 6,000.
Estimated curb weight of truck and trailer is 14,440.

Based on Arkansas DMV's page, I just need to stay below my registration's GCWR, the trailer manufacturers stickered GVWR, the truck manufacturers stickered GAWR's, and the tire's listed weight capacities.
However, I have seen some opinions that I am also restricted by the least of these critera:
Registration GCWR
Truck Manufacturer's GCWR
Truck GVWR + Trailer GVWR

To wrap all of this up, I'm trying to figure out my legal useful load.
Scenario 1: If I use the GCWR on Ford's website(not listed on the sticker behind the door) 9,020 lbs.

Scenario 2: if I am registered for 26,000 and not restricted to the above manufacturers GCWR, I could carry 11,520 lbs.

Scenario 3: GVWR of truck 10,000 + GVWR trailer 15,680 = 25,680 - curb weight 14,440 = 11,240 lbs.

To avoid getting anally punished by a lawyer in the event of an accident, I believe I need to stay below 23,500 GCWR--> 9,020 lb load.
Thanks for reading through and any pending responses

Last edited by 64drvr; 09-20-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:59 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

double post
Old 09-21-2015, 07:44 AM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Unless you get a response from a Vette owner who also happens to be an OTR trucker, I'm guessing you prolly won't get a response with the info you need. I've got two suggestions: 1) hit the DOT website of whatever states you plan on hauling thru and see if what you seek is online; or 2) take a little road trip to your nearest interstate truck stop and chat up a few of the drivers for their knowledge (although I still wouldn't take that as gospel). And kudos to you for going this far before you even start hauling. I've seen way too many ordinary truck owners do foolish things by ignoring the manufacturer's GVWR/GCWR/GAWR ratings when hauling.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:06 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Other weights you should also consider is everything else that will go in or on the truck: tools, tires, other equipment, luggage, the dog, and any other passengers.

You should also get a good estimate of the weight on the gooseneck with the trailer fully loaded. That weight will be placed on the truck bed at the 5th wheel. Tongue weight when towing a trailer with a conventional hitch is typically 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight and that weight is added to the truck's cargo weight. Weights could be very different with gooseneck trailers.

I would think that there is some recommendation regarding not towing more than a certain percentage of the gross trailer weight. I think for conventional trailers, it's 85%. This is a safety factor more than a requirement.

RV sales places could also give you some good information about 5th wheel trailering and how to get proper weight distribution. They could also have good information regarding max weights for towing id different states.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:21 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

A couple of things you should consider. What did you mean by dual 7k disc? If you meant dual 7000# axles, then the trailer shouldn't be rated for 15,680?? 2 things control the rating on the trailer 1. axle rating times the number of axles. 2. the size and ratings (carring capacity) on the tires, times the number of tires on the trailer. I would suggest the best place to get the answers the your questions would be at a commercial trailer sales outlet or where you bought the trailer. In most states, as long as you put NOT FOR HIRE on the truck, you will not be required to stop at weigh stations. Just my .02 JD
Note: I'm not sure? but I don't think that all of your calculation above are correct, check with a trailer place to make sure.

Last edited by JDIllon; 09-21-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:50 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The PJ website shows that 8000# axles with electric/hydraulic disc brakes and G-rated tires are available as an option. Those axles would handle 16K lbs but the GVWR for the trailer would most likely change based on the overall trailer length.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:17 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Guys thanks for the feedback.
To answer JDillon about the trailer GVWR being 15,680... PJ uprates their car hauler when a gooseneck is optioned by factoring in 12% of the load transferred to the hitch/truck rear axle and adding that on top of 14,000.
Here's a quick example http://nationwide-trailers.com/inven...rhauler-loboy/

Last edited by 64drvr; 09-21-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:35 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

From the research we have done here (the we including a lawyer), the 26k thing does NOT apply to personal belongings not being towed for commercial reasons. This is why any Joe Blow can drive a monster RV/motorhome without a special endorsement. The 26k pound CDL requirement only applies to commercial carriers.

As for the rating, the first thing the officer would probably look at is simply the ratings. If you are exceeding the GCWR of the truck just based on the trailer plaque, that can be a problem and could lead them to weigh the unit. If they weigh the combo, you can't be above any of the ratings.

Ken
Old 09-22-2015, 12:07 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would give some careful consideration to loading your Z06 before buying that trailer, I have dealt with loading low cars onto a trailer like that and it wasn't an enjoyable experience. At a minimum you'll need to get some extensions for the ramps, but you might need to modify the existing ones in order to protect your front splitter. I'm also guessing that you'll need something longer than 24' to fit both cars, but maybe the GTI is short enough that they'll fit together?
Old 09-22-2015, 08:29 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks guy. I've tried to school myself up on figuring out maximum approach/departure/breakover angle. I opted for the longest option ramps they would allow for this trailer, which is 77". The bottom of the dove tail will be 25" if the trailer is level. If I jack up the front of the trailer, that would obviously become lower... like 18-20". I plan on getting ~7" (where the trailer ramps rest)Race Ramps that I mention below. In short, that is 77" of run with 13" of rise. In my favor, the car will already be nose-up from the race ramps, increasing my approach angle tolerance.

Factoring the dovetail breakover angle, dovetail height, ramp length, ramp thickness- my current car setups will clear. I've also factored in if I have a lower car with stricter requirements, like a 2016 Viper ACR as a benchmark for future suitability. That setup would likely require Race Ramps as you guys mentioned, and my best calculations show that a 7" Race Ramp, at the joint where the trailer ramp would sit, would work ideally especially with a ramp angle at or below 8.4 degrees.

Honestly, I just need to apply my research time to becoming baller status so I can get a full on race double decker with hydraulic ramps.

Last edited by 64drvr; 09-22-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:43 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Texas rollbacks are pretty cool
Old 12-13-2018, 10:46 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by bb69
From the research we have done here (the we including a lawyer), the 26k thing does NOT apply to personal belongings not being towed for commercial reasons. This is why any Joe Blow can drive a monster RV/motorhome without a special endorsement. The 26k pound CDL requirement only applies to commercial carriers.

As for the rating, the first thing the officer would probably look at is simply the ratings. If you are exceeding the GCWR of the truck just based on the trailer plaque, that can be a problem and could lead them to weigh the unit. If they weigh the combo, you can't be above any of the ratings.

Ken
I am in PA and this is straight from the PennDOT site. Seems to me when the example they give is a Recreational Vehicle that the license endorsement required includes recreational vehicles. Other states may very well be quite different.

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...s/default.aspx
  • CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).

Old 12-15-2018, 09:11 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by lrobe22
To wrap all of this up, I'm trying to figure out my legal useful load.
Scenario 1: If I use the GCWR on Ford's website(not listed on the sticker behind the door) 9,020 lbs.

To avoid getting anally punished by a lawyer in the event of an accident, I believe I need to stay below 23,500 GCWR--> 9,020 lb load.
This is your answer. You shouldn't exceed the GCWR of the truck.

Originally Posted by lrobe22
Scenario 3: GVWR of truck 10,000 + GVWR trailer 15,680 = 25,680
This is where the registration/licensing side comes in. We just went through this at work, trying to stay under the CDL limit for commercial vehicles. Michigan is special (I think), in that if you have more than 10klb capacity in the truck/trailer combo, but less than 26001 for business purposes, you just need a chauffeur's license, instead of the full blown CDL (way easier to get, and way cheaper too). However, our truck + trailer rating was way over 26k (18k trailer, 12k truck or something like that), so the registration was for more than the 26,001 and therefore required a CDL. We actually had Featherlite de-rate our trailer down to 13.5k or something like that (new axles, and a new sticker, directly over the old one), to get us under the 26001 limit that would have required a CDL. So until we get a new truck to pull the 40' goose, we're good.

Technically, if you split fuel costs with someone, you're "for hire" and have to have a CDL, log book, etc. The horse community was way up in arms over this recently (pretty sure there was a legislation change). They apparently have people that transport multiple horses to events and just split fuel costs, or they'd win a few bucks at the show (contingency in the car world). The articles I read claimed that due to the legislation, if their rig was rated at over 26001, they'd need to jump through the CDL hoops, which sucks a lot. The potentially more annoying thing (for me at least) would be significantly lower speed limits for trucks, rather than non-commercial vehicles. Keep that in mind if/when you're splitting costs on the way to the track, showing off your contingency stickers on the tow vehicle, etc.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBreak
I would give some careful consideration to loading your Z06 before buying that trailer, I have dealt with loading low cars onto a trailer like that and it wasn't an enjoyable experience. At a minimum you'll need to get some extensions for the ramps, but you might need to modify the existing ones in order to protect your front splitter. I'm also guessing that you'll need something longer than 24' to fit both cars, but maybe the GTI is short enough that they'll fit together?
I saw no mention of trailer length, but there's absolutely no way in Hell 2 cars are going on a 24' deck. Enclosed 32' with 2 Mustangs is beyond tight. The only thing you gain open deck is the ability to hang the rear of the body off the back. Unless you can pull the front car up past the deck onto some ramps to gain more space, but even then a C6 is probably an easy 15' long by itself.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Spec'ing Carhauler and Legal Weights

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with Spec'ing Carhauler and Legal Weights