Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to disbale seat belt chime full time (so I can just wear harnesses)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts
Default How to disbale seat belt chime full time (so I can just wear harnesses)

I NEVER drive w/o a seatbelt. Let me be clear, I NEVER drive w/o my seatbelt on the street.

But the chime is an issue for me because I have harnesses for track days (way safer) and I can't have that aweful noise going off. My seatbelt won't really make it behind my seats with the harnesses in the way so that isn't convient either.

My local race shop snipped some wires for me which got rid of the chime but conviently also added an airbag readiness light. So the wires have been reattached now and the light cleared with a Tech 2 device. So $364 later I really don't want to set off that light again!

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Not sure what car you have, but my experience is with a C5Z. I removed my 3pt belts completely when I installed 6pt harnesses and seats. Just by unplugging the plug under the drivers seat I don't have any dash lights or bells.......
Old 09-24-2015, 01:09 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Vetteworks makes a seat belt warning eliminator for $25. It's just a piece of metal the same shape as your seat belt male piece which goes into the female receptacle, fooling the system to think you have your seat belt on. Very simple, elegant (inexpensive) solution.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:00 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It only dings for a few seconds and then goes away. Not sure how that bothers you on the track or street. Sure you get the little red seat belt notice on the IP but that isn't a big deal. I never look at the IP as everything I need to see is on the HUD which is visible.

Bill
Old 09-24-2015, 08:39 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Maybe you can get a clasp from a seatbelt out of a junkyard and try simply inserting it into the locking side. On my '87, the light goes out as soon as I clip the belt into the lock. Same with my '02.

On another note, you should check your state traffic laws to see if you can even use a harness for street use. Every 5 or 6-point harness I have ever seen is not DOT-certified for street use. Here in WA, state law specifically prohibits the use of harness belts for street driving.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:40 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Good answers. I want the harnesses for the track only.

I'll go with the Vetteworks solution!

Thanks
Old 09-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

I ended up purchasing some nice seat belt chime eliminators out of Germany on eBay. They were small, had some pretty CF handles, and were $40 shipped for the pair.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:54 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

On a C5Z does the chime go off after a few seconds then come back on later or............?

I am taking the seat out all together, female belt end and all.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:33 PM
mpryan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to the junk yard and found a gm car that had the same seat belt clasp and cut it off.
When I got to the track and use my harness I just plugged it in for the event. No bells or warning lights.
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To How to disbale seat belt chime full time (so I can just wear harnesses)

Quick Reply: How to disbale seat belt chime full time (so I can just wear harnesses)