Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking brake delete/removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:16 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Default parking brake delete/removal

has any1 deleted parking brake on a c6z06?

i hardly ever use mine and thinking about removing it

how much weight savings is there approx.?

also i believe i can buy rear rotors without parking brake provision for even more weight/rotational mass savings

does any1 has a link to a diy tutorial ?
Old 09-26-2015, 02:49 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Is the car going to be track only ? If not, I would not recommend removal of the parking brake. In states having annual inspections, the parking/emergency brake is considered a safety item. If it is missing or does not function, the car will not pass. Weight savings would be on the order of 12-15 lbs for the entire system. Hardly worth the effort unless an ultimate track build is being considered and every pound is critical.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I wouldn't recommend it even for a track only car. The parking brake isn't very effective as a parking brake but I had one incident on track where it was the only brake I had on my C6Z. When you boil the fluid in both front or both rear calipers you lose all of your brakes due to the dual diagonal brake system. I had that happen at the Glen on a cool down lap. The rotors were hot but there wasn't enough air getting into the brakes at speeds in the 90 mph range and when I got to a turn after driving 90 for close to a mile I hit the brakes and they weren't there any more. I pulled the parking brake and slowed through the run off area with it squealing like hell but it did scrub a lot of speed over a 300 ft distance. If it wouldn't have been for that I probably would have had to spin the car. You don't save that much weight to make it worth while to dump it.

Bill
Old 09-27-2015, 02:01 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

ok u guys talked me out of it, brake stays
Old 09-28-2015, 10:19 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I pulled it on my racecar for weight but it wasn't much, less than 20# total. If the car is mixed-use at all I wouldn't take it out.

You'll find more weight in different seats or even just pulling the passenger seat out before events....

Get notified of new replies

To parking brake delete/removal

Quick Reply: parking brake delete/removal