Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replica wheels for track day use

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 04:26 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Replica wheels for track day use

Anybody used replica wheels as track day rims? I searched a bit and most comments were positive (for general use anyways) with a few horror stories about out of round or poor finish wheels. The most neg comment was that replica wheels tend to weigh a few pounds more than the OE wheel. Not sure how significant that actually is in the hpde realm.

Thought? Anybody had a particularly good or bad experience?

If you had a good experience, was there a particular vendor you went through? Oewheelsllc is the first that popped up Ina Google search.

Cheers
Old 09-26-2015, 05:35 PM
VideoGameGeek
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmackloud
Anybody used replica wheels as track day rims? I searched a bit and most comments were positive (for general use anyways) with a few horror stories about out of round or poor finish wheels. The most neg comment was that replica wheels tend to weigh a few pounds more than the OE wheel. Not sure how significant that actually is in the hpde realm.

Thought? Anybody had a particularly good or bad experience?

If you had a good experience, was there a particular vendor you went through? Oewheelsllc is the first that popped up Ina Google search.

Cheers
I have read not to use them, cracking issues.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:45 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

First they are very heavy! Also I would not use repro wheels for track use, the speeds and stress's are much more than street use. Is your life worth saving a few bucks? Just my .02 JD
Old 09-26-2015, 07:38 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Do you know of any specific incidents of replica wheel failure during track use?

Most of the reading I've done suggests the replicas are 2-5 lbs heavier. Obviously you want to keep unsprung weight down, but I'm not sure how significant that amount actually is.

While searching, I came across a number of for sale threads of people selling replica wheels with track tires, so it appears some people run the setup.

I'm not looking for validation, completely willing to accept its not the best choice. Still, I was hoping to find some first hand feedback from those that had tried it before I ruled it out.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:18 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
First they are very heavy! Also I would not use repro wheels for track use, the speeds and stress's are much more than street use. Is your life worth saving a few bucks? Just my .02 JD

Do you know of any specific incidents of replica wheel failure during track use?

Jim and I both do. You ask, we respond. Either accept it or research it.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:45 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

You know, my response above might sound a little harsh. I guess I would say that Jim and I, as well as many other instructors that frequent this forum, have gotten into the passenger seat of vehicles that we know absolutely nothing about and assume that the owner/driver has been diligent in track prep before arriving at the track. We have seen old dirty brake fluid, corded tires, loose ball joints, marginal wheels, sluggish steering racks, cracked windshields, clogged radiators, inoperable seat belts, crap such as wrinkled floor mats jammed under throttle and brake pedals, pistol and garage door openers in console or loose in the back area (not to mention dubious means of camera anchoring)....

When someone asks us about track prep, we explain with little gray area. There is no gray area when one accelerates to 140 mph or even 160 mph such as on the back straight at VIR.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 09-26-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:49 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Most of the reading I've done suggests the replicas are 2-5 lbs heavier. Obviously you want to keep unsprung weight down, but I'm not sure how significant that amount actually is.

While searching, I came across a number of for sale threads of people selling replica wheels with track tires, so it appears some people run the setup.

I'm not looking for validation, completely willing to accept its not the best choice. Still, I was hoping to find some first hand feedback from those that had tried it before I ruled it out.
Good friend had a left rear fail. Looked at the rest carefully and there were hairline cracks.

The real problem for me is that you're on the track with the rest of us and a failure can be catastrophic to drivers other than yourself.

My friends logic was he was on street tires with less grip. Well he wanted to go quicker, switched to a sticky tire and they failed.

I saw a set 2 weeks ago. Black Spyders with new rubber. $500. Made in China. No way would I use them.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:30 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

No i appreciate the honest answers. I take my safety and that of others very seriously. I just like specific examples.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I used repro wheels for years. First on my 97 with repro C4 ZR1 wheels that carried through my 03Z. Total of 9 years of running on those wheels with no issues. When I got my C6Z I purchased some 18x12 C6Z repros from Bob's House of Wheels. I ran those wheels for several years and then went to CCWs this year. I sold the repros to somebody else and haven't heard of any issues. They are heavy but they are a cost effective way to get track rubber on your car, the problem is finding the sizes you want since they cater mostly to waxers and a lot of the sizes that used to exist have been eliminated due to a lack of Customers.

Bill
Old 09-27-2015, 09:05 AM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

I just picked up a complete set of polished OEM Speedlines complete with TPS. Low miles and very nice condition for $600.00 here on the Forum. There are going to be my track wheels. Are the replicas cheeper that that?
Old 09-27-2015, 02:33 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

^I have a set of 17" OEM sawblades and a set of 18" C5 Wagon wheels. Since they are OEM they are strong and LIGHT. Plus since they are used they are cheap. You can get used OEM wheels as cheap as a set of new reproductions. Since how it looks does not make it faster who cares if they are stock wheels or not. Cheap and safe. Not that OEM wheels cannot fail but I'd trust them over a repro any day.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:37 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
You know, my response above might sound a little harsh. I guess I would say that Jim and I, as well as many other instructors that frequent this forum, have gotten into the passenger seat of vehicles that we know absolutely nothing about and assume that the owner/driver has been diligent in track prep before arriving at the track. We have seen old dirty brake fluid, corded tires, loose ball joints, marginal wheels, sluggish steering racks, cracked windshields, clogged radiators, inoperable seat belts, crap such as wrinkled floor mats jammed under throttle and brake pedals, pistol and garage door openers in console or loose in the back area (not to mention dubious means of camera anchoring)....

When someone asks us about track prep, we explain with little gray area. There is no gray area when one accelerates to 140 mph or even 160 mph such as on the back straight at VIR.

I've only done a couple track days but a TON of auto-x. Never fails to amaze me how sloppy people are with car prep. Stuff just falling apart and all over the place. Stupid is only word that describes that. Shoot I get pissed if someone leaves crap in my street car to roll around inside of it.

One thing about motorsports I LOVE in general. Either you do it right or you go home. At least that is how it is supposed to be. Especially if you want to win!! NO half done stuff should be allowed. Leave that for the millions of idiots that surround us each and everyday.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:18 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

First, let me again reiterate that I take car prep and safety seriously. But let's separate the notion of poor car prep from this conversation. The whole point of this thread is to discuss the viability of a particular wheel, not an attempt to circumvent proper car prep or safety standards.

Second, I'm not suggesting that I'd pick replica wheels over a good condition set of OEM wheels. However, the luxury with replicas is that you just pick up the phone and order them when you need them vs waiting to find a decent set used on the forums. You also don't know how many heat cycles that used wheel has gone through, or how many times it's been bounced over the curbing at 100+mph.

But again, I appreciate the honest feedback and specific examples of personal experience. When something is true there are always plenty of examples to support it.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I put C6Z replicas on the car for street use and use the OE wheels for the track.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:32 PM
LA_Z06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people even claim to have had issues with OEM split spoke wheels, but most, if not all of those, seem to have been chromed or powder coated which makes the wheels weaker. Cheapest & safest seems to be original OEM wheels that haven't been messed with (chromed or powder coated).
Old 10-04-2015, 06:47 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

We need to think about this for a minute.

I'm going to put race tires on cheap wheels. Then I'm going to subject them to stress levels that GM never even imagined back in the day. More stress on a set of cheap wheels than I will ever put on a high quality OEM wheel. Yep, that makes a lot of sense.

btw - Powder coating can seriously weaken a wheel. Of course if you have a really smart powder coater who understands metallurgy it might work. It's about the heat levels and the molecular structure of the metal. It's best to just not do it. At least it's a lot safer to not powder coat your track wheels.

Richard Newton
Car Tech Stuff
Old 10-04-2015, 04:32 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
We need to think about this for a minute.

I'm going to put race tires on cheap wheels. Then I'm going to subject them to stress levels that GM never even imagined back in the day. More stress on a set of cheap wheels than I will ever put on a high quality OEM wheel. Yep, that makes a lot of sense.

btw - Powder coating can seriously weaken a wheel. Of course if you have a really smart powder coater who understands metallurgy it might work. It's about the heat levels and the molecular structure of the metal. It's best to just not do it. At least it's a lot safer to not powder coat your track wheels.

Richard Newton
Car Tech Stuff
Can you offer an explanation of how/why powder coating weakens aluminum wheels. What about heat cured ceramic coating such as Cerakote which requires a two hour cure time at 250 degrees F.

Get notified of new replies

To Replica wheels for track day use

Old 10-04-2015, 06:36 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
Can you offer an explanation of how/why powder coating weakens aluminum wheels. What about heat cured ceramic coating such as Cerakote which requires a two hour cure time at 250 degrees F.
I am not sure where one would find an unbiased answer to this question. Powder coaters are certainly not going to jump in and say it is bad. By the same token, wheel manufacturers that sell wheels in different colors are not going to say it is okay since they would rather sell you theirs. I am sure there is unfounded information circulating the web on both sides of the issue. There is a low temp powder coating that one can use if desired. Some powder coaters claim it is not as smooth a finish, though. But then, some don't want to fool with stocking the two different coatings.

I did find this from HRE:

You have to ensure the time/temp cycle is kept low and short enough otherwise you will affect the heat-treatment of the forgings. You can powdercoat, if you're careful. We do it everyday. We switched all of our standard colors to powdercoat once they developed metallic powdercoats and got the cure temps down to an acceptable level, so these days it is possible if done properly. We find powdercoat to be more robust, but you get more color options with paint so we still have to use paint for color matched wheels unless we've had a custom color developed in volume (Arctic Silver for example).

Last edited by SouthernSon; 10-04-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm in this same boat. Base c7.

Don't want to run stock tires (seen a set corded in one track day)

My dilemma is oem 18/19 with a skinny 8.5 front wheel. Replica 18/19 with a 9.5 front wheel (I have slicks that would fit either set) or possibly tsw 18/19 set. Three different style wheels and SOMEONE will say negative about each option. I personally have never seen a set of replicas crack or fail. I've seen crappy chrome/paint etc on them.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:12 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

If one goes to the track often enough a failed wheel can be found. Here is a very good article about wheels. I agree with trying to stay off of rumble strips or anything else that transmits shock to the wheels/lug bolts/bearings.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech...jsp?techid=110

Quick Reply: Replica wheels for track day use