Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ratchet Straps

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Ratchet Straps

I was using a 1" ratchet strap to secure a big air compressor to the inside wall of my trailer. Just a cheap ratchet strap you buy in any automotive store.

It broke, completely failed. The webbing just ripped. I was driving over lousy roads, the trailer was definitely bouncing around. But nothing out of the ordinary for trailering.

The compressor came crashing down, rolled around the trailer for 50 miles. Luckily nothing happened. The compressor survived.

Wasn't a new strap. Don't even know how old it was. But it was a static load.

oh-well. Don't trust cheap straps.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:20 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I haul a portable 3000 watt generator that gets strapped down behind the car in the rear of the trailer. I use two different tie down methods (ratchet strap and cam buckle strap) just in case. With the generator on wheels, it could cause a lot of damage to the trailer and the car rolling around like a bumper car.

Glad nothing bad happened in your situation.....you're very lucky.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:49 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Places like Lowe's or Home Depot have 2" straps that are rated for 10K lbs (3300 lbs working load limit) and the stores will have them in at least a couple of lengths. The 27 ft versions would be the beat to have simply because of the length. These straps cost around $12 each so it can't hurt to have at least 4 in the trailer.

One other thing to consider is to mount some E-track horizontally on the trailer walls. Places like etrailer.com have E-track connectors with an O-ring or a 8" strap with an o-ring. Get 6 or 8 of these and you can pretty much tie anything down inside the trailer.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:20 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I replace those straps once every year or two just because I don't trust them very much. The seem to stretch a good bit when used.

Since Harbor Freight is close by I just pick up the 4 pack on sale.

I also don't use them to permanently tie anything down. They get used for all kinds of things around the house, trailer and equipment rack.

Get notified of new replies

To Ratchet Straps

Quick Reply: Ratchet Straps