Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 C6 base "floaty feeling"

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Torch FRC
Safety Car

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Default 2010 C6 base "floaty feeling"

I installed Z51 swaybars on my 2010 base C6 but I still have a "floaty" feeling from the suspension. My 99 FRC did not have this feeling. C6 has 60k.

I'm thinking its the shocks or the leaf springs. Any input appreciated.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:40 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

sounds like alignment
Old 09-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Matt_27
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Shocks! Good heavens, if you thought a stock FRC wasn't floaty I can't imagine what your car is like. You can get into a set of rebound adjustable Ridetechs or Konis for about a grand. Massive improvement. IMO, C6Z shocks are slightly better but not worth the effort.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:32 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Shocks. One shock with bad rebound can make that feeling.

-Kevin
Old 09-28-2015, 03:22 PM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Sounds like a possible bad shock.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:24 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like shocks to me as well.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:05 PM
0Rodney@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch FRC
I installed Z51 swaybars on my 2010 base C6 but I still have a "floaty" feeling from the suspension. My 99 FRC did not have this feeling. C6 has 60k.

Sounds like it's mainly the shocks. They are the "Brains" of your suspension. Like Matt_27 said, a good set of rebound adjustable shocks will make a big difference. The adjustment is a great tool when fighting ride quality issues like you are. The link I have attached will take you right to them on our website. Plus, we do a 1,000,001 mile warranty on all of our shocks.
http://www.ridetech.com/store/c5-c6-...ck-system.html

Rodney
Old 09-29-2015, 05:32 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Do you have a solid alignment with a bit 1/8"-3/32" of toe in at the rear?

I replaced my 2008 stock front softride spring with a C6Z front spring and it made a world of difference accompanied by DRM shocks.

Depends on your wants needs and budget? I love my very stiffly sprung coilovers, but really not "needed".
Old 09-29-2015, 06:27 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

One of the worst cars I've ever driven on track was a student's base C6.
It felt to me like a combination of poor damping and improper sway bar sizing.
The car would have needed A LOT of work to feel comfortable, but I would have started there.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:03 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Shocks.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:51 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Shocks. One shock with bad rebound can make that feeling.

-Kevin
Totally agree!! Shocks

Anyone who has tried to dial in adjustable coil overs knows that feeling till they get the rebound right. 1 shock can have you floating.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:54 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

It's shocks. Stock shocks aren't exactly overblessed with rebound control to start with. Add 60k miles and that's what's up.

There are options. I carry Ridetech, Koni, Bilstein, I have other things too like QA1, KYB, KW. Of those last three I'd not really recommend the first two and the 3rd isn't really useful on a car with the transverse springs still on it.

Anyway. Can help. Sell many, have owned many. Car with good shocks will drive so much better it won't be funny.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:39 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch FRC

Well I dont see how anyone could make a diagnosis that shocks are the issue based on such a generic description. Sure it could be shocks but at 60k miles you could have lame bushings, poor alignment, improper rideheight, or poor tires to name a few things that will destroy your ride. I don't think there is enough info to instantly condem the shocks.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:59 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

You don't? Okay. Shocks are dampers. They damp movement. Movement isn't being damped, and the "float" is an oscillation. He wasn't complaining about ride or things like that, he said the car was floaty. Tires don't make the car float. Bushings being bad can cause wandering issues and such, but again... not a float.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:08 PM
0Rodney@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You don't? Okay. Shocks are dampers. They damp movement. Movement isn't being damped, and the "float" is an oscillation. He wasn't complaining about ride or things like that, he said the car was floaty. Tires don't make the car float. Bushings being bad can cause wandering issues and such, but again... not a float.
I couldn't agree more! Anytime a customer tells me floaty, I'm going to go straight to the shocks. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, the shocks are the brains of the suspension.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:35 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Rodney@ridetech
I couldn't agree more! Anytime a customer tells me floaty, I'm going to go straight to the shocks. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, the shocks are the brains of the suspension.
I should also add that when shocks get weak the ride will indeed start to suffer as well. Usually more harsh on the high piston speed things like frost heaves, railroad tracks, stutter bumps, etc.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:02 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

I agree but nonprofessionals are notorious for poor descriptions of what is going on with their cars. As a proshock guy you have to admit when helping someone dial in a car with adjustable shocks it is often difficult for people to grasp what is going on with compression, rebound, high speed, low speed, damper curves and the like. I'm just saying a conversation with the op should be had before people key in on one word floaty and instantly condemn his shocks. Certainly, they might be DOA but it is also possible he is not adequately describing what is happening. Telling us he put on z51 sways and the car is still floaty already tells us about his suspension knowledge. No put down intended. I would just hate to here someone pay 400 to 4000 on shocks and that not be the answer to the problem. But hey I got no dog in this hunt. I just recommend good diagnosis.

Get notified of new replies

To 2010 C6 base "floaty feeling"

Old 09-30-2015, 04:13 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Likely when the car rolls less and/or he's not paying more attention to the thing in general as he made a change and wants to see what it did, he's noticing other holes in the performance of the car.

Floaty is the most accurate, and common description of bad shocks. Add the fact the car is a base and has the worse control of any of the OEM's (and that's saying something at times) AND it has miles. This isn't some random guess.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:43 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

My car used to feel floaty too and I couldn't figure out why. Then one day I realized I had accidentally been using a helium bottle to fill my tires instead of nitrogen! No wonder my car was under weight on the scales too!
Old 10-01-2015, 05:01 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I agree but nonprofessionals are notorious for poor descriptions of what is going on with their cars. As a proshock guy you have to admit when helping someone dial in a car with adjustable shocks it is often difficult for people to grasp what is going on with compression, rebound, high speed, low speed, damper curves and the like. I'm just saying a conversation with the op should be had before people key in on one word floaty and instantly condemn his shocks. Certainly, they might be DOA but it is also possible he is not adequately describing what is happening. Telling us he put on z51 sways and the car is still floaty already tells us about his suspension knowledge. No put down intended. I would just hate to here someone pay 400 to 4000 on shocks and that not be the answer to the problem. But hey I got no dog in this hunt. I just recommend good diagnosis.

If you don't know "floaty" equates to bad dampening, then please do some research before you condemn all of us for accurately telling the OP where to go look for the issue. I have had this EXACT feeling on multiple vehicles and it was always a bad shock.

It is easy enough to check without spending a dime. Take off each shock and if it is bad, you can feel it by hand. It may be dampening or rebound that is bad and both can be felt by compressing or extending the shock. If either are easy to do by hand, it is bad.

Quick Reply: 2010 C6 base "floaty feeling"