Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Practical effects of a 10mm front wheel spacer on C6Z (scrub radius?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 11:14 AM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Practical effects of a 10mm front wheel spacer on C6Z (scrub radius?)

Does anyone have experience using a wheel spacer on the C6/C6Z platform for track use? Would like to know from anyone with experience whether the additional (positive) scrub radius is substantial enough to cause a problem.

Reason for the spacer is to make use of calipers which are much wider (that is to say, "thicker" side to side) than stock on OEM rims.

Other option of course would be to find an 18" (CCW?) rim that clears these calipers.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Do you know your current scrub radius? I measured mine on my Camaro at 1/4" with a 1/2" spacer. Increasing to a 3/4" spacer (which put me over max legal track width) and 1/2" scrub made the front end dig in a lot harder. I'd say it depends in your case on what your scrub is right now. The rest of the car can affect it as well, so hopefully a C6Z owner can chime in here. Mike Kojima advocates for ~3/4"-3" scrub on a RWD car. Since I've hogged out my upper control arm mounts on my 4th gen, I run a little less camber on the LCAs and in order to max out my track width I can run 5/8" of spacer as opposed to 1/2" of last year. The car is faster this year, but I've made other changes so I can't really chalk it up to the change in spacers.

Here's a link to the article where Mike talks about scrub, it's one of many and all are worth a couple of reads to let it all soak in.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...and-Scrub.aspx

Quick Reply: Practical effects of a 10mm front wheel spacer on C6Z (scrub radius?)