Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best mods for road racing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 02:08 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Am I wrong here, do people really reach for the extinguisher?
Mine saved my car from an engine fire. I was black-flagged due to smoke, came in, opened the hood, and saw flames coming off the headers. Grabbed the fire extinguisher (it is mounted on the harness bar), killed the fire.

If I'd been on track, it wouldn't have helped at all, I agree.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:20 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LB
Get yourself some big brakes first, but from there on out I'd be looking hard at a 6+ point NASA/SCCA legal cage to protect you in the event things go bad.
The problem with cages (which is something I think about for my car too) is that they are decidedly unsafe on the street, since you aren't wearing a helmet and are just using a 3pt OEM seatbelt.

It's a bit of a irreconcilable problem the way I see it. More safety on the track equals less safety on the street.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:02 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

A big brake kit, but one that is designed for track purposes to handle longer sessions. You have to be careful as a lot of big brake kits really are more for cosmetic purposes (middle of the road rotors, not the best calipers) as opposed to a real track setup.

Next depends on your solution to keep you butt in the seat. If going with a harness, then IMO it is mandatory to use some sort of HANS device. (watch the above car fire video an pay attention to the drivers head and neck movements as the car impacts). Now that you have a harness in the car, do you really want to be stuck in an upright position without some sort of roll over protection? Vettes are pretty strong, but at a minimum I would suggest a professionally built roll bar that will provide some roll over protection and a perfect place for the shoulder harness mounts. Harness bars are over priced IMO, for the cost of 3 harness bars you can have a quality roll bar. A cage would be best, but then you're really pushing the aspect of a comfortable street driven car.

Driver instruction is key....and the best money spent. Best way to know if you suck is put a good driver in your car. If he is 3 or 4 seconds a lap faster than what you're running, stop the mods and work on your own driver education.

I'd buy another set of tires and rims....keep the 200 wear units for the specific events requiring them or the street. I've had great luck, wear and predictability with the Nitto NT01's. As you know, it can get damn hot at Thunderhill and the NT01's seem to do well and stay predictable when others tend to get greasy in the heat.

See you at Thunderhill, that too is my home track and I'm preparing my new to me Z06....I usually run with NCRC, Checkered Flag, SFSpeed, Lotus Club, etc. You can literally do a track event every week in Nor Cal
Old 10-13-2015, 08:13 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Safety
Coach
laps
Cooling
Coach
Laps
Brakes
Coach
Laps
Exc.
Exc.
^
^
Old 10-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by edge04
I see a lot of cars with fire extinguishers in them including mine but I've never see anyone use them. You are always told to get out and away from the car if on fire and let the crew deal with the fire. Which is why I will be installing a fire suppression system.

Am I wrong here, do people really reach for the extinguisher?
When my engine blew at the Glen 4 years ago there was smoke billowing all around the car and I had a two choices: 1. Get out of the car or 2. Reach over into the passenger foot well and try and get the fire extinguisher. 10 seconds later I was out of the car and getting away from it. As it turned out there was a lot of smoke and no fire. However, I have no idea what good that fire extinguisher would have done if the car had been on fire. I would have had to run around to the other side of the car, open the door and reach down and get it. That would all have taken time that I might not have had.

Bill
Old 10-14-2015, 01:31 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is becoming a thread hijack but I have seen a race car at an HPDE event catch fire, the driver pulled the suppression system which failed to go off, and another car stopped nearby, pulled out their fire extinguisher and put the fire out. So yes, it's not a bad idea to have FEs in the car, it just might not be your car that's on fire.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:43 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Since we've blown this tread up already I'll add in on the fire extinguisher thing.

I don't like them. Most of them are mounted poorly. They can come loose in an accident.

If my car is on fire I'm running. One of the little questions no one at the HPDE level asks is how quickly can you get out of the car. I've raced with groups where they made me exit the car in the tech line and I was timed . Considering we had a full cage and welded doors that was interesting. My yoga classes paid off.

Here's an article i wrote a couple of years ago about fire suppression systems.

The mod threads remind me of my old club in Philly. We got t-shirts made up that said:

Don't Drive Better - Just Spend More

Richard Newton
Old 10-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

no one ever reads the stickies

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-learned.html
Old 10-14-2015, 02:26 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenak
What is a sticky?
Old 10-14-2015, 03:00 PM
TraviZ06
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read that sticky but it didn't answer my original question, which mod was the best for shaving time at the track.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:06 PM
John Holmes
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TraviZ06
I read that sticky but it didn't answer my original question, which mod was the best for shaving time at the track.
Agreed, and it is also many, many pages of useless stuff.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:08 PM
John Holmes
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenak
Started over 6 years ago, 21 pages of stuff and at most 5 pages of info that is useful to someone serious about road racing.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:19 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

To directly answer your question I would have to say slicks and a BBK if we are purely speaking of mods to the car.

On a more personal note I did my first couple of DE's with a complete stock setup and quickly realized i needed better seats and a harness. This was probably the best "mod" i've done so far.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:29 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

#drivermod

Seriously. Practice, practice, practice!

Safety should be your #1 goal...then drivermod.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:27 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I think sway bars and coilovers so you can corner balance and get a set up working. Brakes are good if you can't trust them you can't drive hard. Getting ready to go all in on the AP 72mm 5000r kit for my car. Can't wait to be racing again next year! If you move past the 200 TW tires maybe some monoballs or poly bushings. Actually it never ends
Old 10-14-2015, 10:01 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Learn to recognize speed vs. line for best radius and use of track out. and THAT is a lot to learn because you have to develop a good sense of it unless you have a month to spend at a certain track with a good data logger and someone to interpret it for you. Then, learn to figure it out QUICKLY on the fly.

If you think that sounds like a lot of seat time..... it is. Which supports all those posts stating a good coach and plenty of experience. A fast car means nothing in the hands of someone that doesn't know how to use it.

And for the experience side of things, a successful hot shoe gets a sense of:

rpm sounds close to limit for shift (don't need tach or limiter cut off interfering)
suspension is under max load
tires are feeling just on the verge of not responding (sound with progressive street tires, too)
that portion of the track seems to grip better
that third gear is not enough, maybe second is better there
short shifting gets me more on that stretch
the car is settled better under braking there
car is settled better on that portion of the uphill not braking vs. braking twice
braking earlier but lighter keeps suspension under better control there
tires are pumped up too much
tires are getting greasy
tires need/can breath here
pushing or loose
.......this could go on to cover page after page............

Last edited by SouthernSon; 10-14-2015 at 10:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Captain Buddha (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 11:15 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Learn to recognize speed vs. line for best radius and use of track out. and THAT is a lot to learn because you have to develop a good sense of it unless you have a month to spend at a certain track with a good data logger and someone to interpret it for you. Then, learn to figure it out QUICKLY on the fly.

If you think that sounds like a lot of seat time..... it is. Which supports all those posts stating a good coach and plenty of experience. A fast car means nothing in the hands of someone that doesn't know how to use it.

And for the experience side of things, a successful hot shoe gets a sense of:

rpm sounds close to limit for shift (don't need tach or limiter cut off interfering)
suspension is under max load
tires are feeling just on the verge of not responding (sound with progressive street tires, too)
that portion of the track seems to grip better
that third gear is not enough, maybe second is better there
short shifting gets me more on that stretch
the car is settled better under braking there
car is settled better on that portion of the uphill not braking vs. braking twice
braking earlier but lighter keeps suspension under better control there
tires are pumped up too much
tires are getting greasy
tires need/can breath here
pushing or loose
.......this could go on to cover page after page............
All *very* good points!

Get notified of new replies

To Best mods for road racing?

Old 10-15-2015, 04:17 PM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
Safety
Coach
laps
Cooling
Coach
Laps
Brakes
Coach
Laps
Exc.
Exc.
^
^
^I agree, I've personally seen Matt ( blkbrd69 ) at Sebring, his car is a beast, but with that said, he is also very fast as in LOTS of seat time, take what the above post and others have posted also. my 2 cents hope all of this together helps you with your goal
Old 10-15-2015, 04:48 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 08velocity
^I agree, I've personally seen ( blkbrd69 ) at Sebring, his car is a beast, but with that said, take what the above post and others have posted also. my 2 cents hope all of this together helps you with your goal
Thank you, but the company we keep on the forum has way more seat time and are much better coaches than myself.

I am very much a tech guy and wrench turner. I recommend seat time and coaching over trying to improve the car. Safety and reliability then quality seat time.

Now we need go get a yellow car on track for some of that seat time and coaching.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:54 PM
TraviZ06
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, I think brakes will be my next purchase after I get my seat and harness squared away. Off topic but I got set back last night, broke my car at the track, looking to rebuild the torque tube with poly mounts and install the DTE brace.

Back on topic, along with seat time and practice, I don't see what's wrong with modding while learning. I'm honestly only making about 3 events per year for the last few years so I'm not exactly gonna get a ton of seat time in. I'd like to mod to improve the cars capability as I keep going back. I'm definitely investing in that gps timer as well. Way better than just comparing lap times according to the track gps.

Quick Reply: Best mods for road racing?