Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with piston seals for front brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Mike hoppe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with piston seals for front brake calipers

Background:

I track my '08 Z06 at HPDE events about 4 to 6 times per year. Last year the dust boots were toast, so I opted to rebuild the calipers with stainless steel pistons from Race Brake.Com. My high temp dust seals were toast after 2 days! The seals failed after a total of 4 days. In order to replace the seals and boots from Race Brake is about $95 per caliper. Seeing how they only lasted four days, I am hesitant to use the same ones.The stock ones lasted 28 track days. Went to Chevrolet, they only sell a rebuild kit with pistons included for $125 per caliper.

Does anyone out there have a more cost effective solution for the seals and dust boots??????

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:44 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Carlson 41290 kit for front, Carlson 41291 kit for the rear. $10 per caliper from Amazon.

Thank BEZ06 for the info 2 1/2 years ago.

Amazon.com: Carlson 41290 Front Disc Brake Caliper Repair Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Carlson 41290 Front Disc Brake Caliper Repair Kit: Automotive

If tracking don't bother with the dust seals.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:34 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the seals. The AP T1 kit I was running didn't even come with them due to the stock ones melting. I've been running the AP kit on the track/street for the last two years without issue. My stock rear calipers would burn through the seals pretty quickly.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:42 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I wouldn't worry too much about the seals. The AP T1 kit I was running didn't even come with them due to the stock ones melting. I've been running the AP kit on the track/street for the last two years without issue. My stock rear calipers would burn through the seals pretty quickly.
totally unnecessary. Haven't had dust boots on my calipers for years.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:08 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
totally unnecessary. Haven't had dust boots on my calipers for years.
however my Z06 calipers sucked a lot of moisture into the pistons without the dust boots.........fluid was bad in two weeks of daily driving
might have just been mine
the new wilwoods have no dust boots and work fine

Get notified of new replies

To Help with piston seals for front brake calipers

Quick Reply: Help with piston seals for front brake calipers