Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me out of a Miata. Or not ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 04:38 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Racing Tires
Go for it!! Just stay away from the big tracks, Road America, Daytona, etc. Let me know if you find a rental/arrive and drive in Florida. The Wisconsin winters get long and I need a fix sometime in the winter.
Daytona; That's where I want to test drive one to see if I can stand it.

Todd, that's part of the appeal. I could just loan it to guys that want to play.

Would be nice to multi session it also with me running TT or Advanced then hop out and let my wife or buddy take it out in another session.

My Z, I spend lots of time with cooling, fueling, ext. Its kind of a pricy monster to loan out.

Not to mention brakes. Crap I'm tired of messing with rotors, pads and bleeding between sessions. That's another post.

Last edited by blkbrd69; 10-14-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:24 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Here's a good example of a V8 Miata track car making a few laps around TWS:

https://vimeo.com/30287158

Here's a few photos of the car:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=392627

Mine's ready for the track if I reinstall the oil cooler, but track days are right now not in my future.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:04 PM
dizzy8085
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The suggestions of a v8 miata looks fun,but building a v8 miata would defeat the purpose of cheap consumables. You'll need more tire and then more brake and down the rabbit hole you go. Would also put you in a very fast TT class.

Buying an already built proven spec miata and stuffing a K series honda motor and aero would be a great TT car. Relatively cheap to buy, cheap to run, and fast.

I've gave this a lot of thought because I want to build a TT3 car in a few years. Few life things in the way right now.

Don't ditch the Z though! Get some good brakes on that thing and keep running it for fun.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:06 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by foxracing8085
The suggestions of a v8 miata looks fun,but building a v8 miata would defeat the purpose of cheap consumables. You'll need more tire and then more brake and down the rabbit hole you go. Would also put you in a very fast TT class.
I've gave this a lot of thought because I want to build a TT3 car in a few years. Few life things in the way right now.
The Miata I referenced was running in TT3.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Primaris
Advanced

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
I am thinking VERY hard about buying & building a Miata to run a time trial class that allows me some room for modifications, not SM!

What I would like/need is a day or weekend in a race Miata of any type. Priced out weekends in them, they seem to be all supported arrive and drive type operations & are 1/3 the price of a car for 2 HPDE days?

Florida volunteers, offers, rentals? I will wrench & insure?

Reasoning; Consumables are killing me. I want to go 11 tenths with a full cage, fire suppression & cool suit.

As an ex racer, Motocross, Pro AMA CCS motorcycles, dirt track including winged sprints, off road buggies & trucks, shift carts, NHRA Super Gas & Comp. ext. I get the race bug a lot.

While fairly quick in my stupid fast C6Z the expendables are killing me & there is 10% on the table i'm not willing to lay down due to the risk & cost of my pretty street car.
Lets face it the quick lap is on the edge of disaster in corners, that whole momentum friction circle thing.

My thinking; As someone who just loves to tinker & build stuff that used to build "real" race car tube frame chassis & has machined or turned wrenches on things from space shuttle parts to the planes you fly on. Do I need another project?

Pretty sure I can drive 3 times more laps in something like a Miata? 180 at Daytona is fun, but would love to work on that "perfect" turn 17 at Sebring.

Please don't mention E30, I cant get over the ugly. And if you think a Miata is a "girls car" you probably shouldn't be in the road racing section.

Should I?
Find a Chump Car team! http://www.chumpcar.com/
I've only participated in one and can't wait to do it again. 127 other cars and I were doing laps wheel to wheel laps on the Daytona road course for 14 hours.

If you like the league build your own car/team
Old 10-14-2015, 10:16 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Consumables would still be far better than the Corvette. You can't fit 295s under a Miata, so even if your are blowing away tires who cares? They're cheap *** 15s. As for all you saying a Miata is better on a tight course, you're on crack. I've never been outrun by a 4 cylinder Miata on any track ever. They're slower, it's a fact. Now, if TT is your deal then IMO a V8 Miata is the only way to go especially coming from a C6Z. The ONLY thing that makes the Miata appealing to drive would be to be door to door with a dozen others. I just can't fathom time trialing a 4 banger Miata. Might as well rip out the speedo and put a calendar in its place.
The following users liked this post:
danh52 (07-08-2016)
Old 10-14-2015, 10:39 PM
stuiephoto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I built a miata and then sold it. Everyone says miata parts are cheap, but aftermarket parts really arent any cheaper than any other platform. I spent 10k building mine and never touched my motor or transmission. I would still own it today if it was a bit bigger. I am a bigger guy and just didnt feel safe in the car. I had floor mounted ultrashield seats and my helmet was constantly bashing off the roll cage.

There was really something enjoyable about beating the **** out of a car and not worrying about it breaking. My car had 150k miles on the motor (had a tick in the head that got nasty when hot) and the thing just wouldnt blow up. I went a whole track season on a set of nt-01s and one set of pads. Not many cars can claim that.

I was lucky enough not to have major issues with people allowing me to pass. Issues did occur though, and when they do they get pretty frustrating.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:50 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

How many events? I can do a full season on one set of pads and might have been able to run my RRs ragged the whole season, but they would have been cycled out junk on the 2nd half. Point being the Miata isn't the only thing easy on consumables (I run a CMC Camaro). I guess I should have made that point in my last post too. I'd TT an S2000 before I ever dreamed about TTing a Miata. Unless V8 was a factor. Still though, I'd go SM before any of that.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:44 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
How many events? I can do a full season on one set of pads and might have been able to run my RRs ragged the whole season, but they would have been cycled out junk on the 2nd half. Point being the Miata isn't the only thing easy on consumables (I run a CMC Camaro). I guess I should have made that point in my last post too. I'd TT an S2000 before I ever dreamed about TTing a Miata. Unless V8 was a factor. Still though, I'd go SM before any of that.
The big problem with SM is I am a racer. Been Nationally competitive in many sports & don't want to let myself get sucked in.

I do really like S2000's. Think one with FULL aero would be a fun exercise and it is an option. Have started looking at them also.

Same with an ASA/GTA, type car. Great idea and its a "real" race car, just not what I'm thinking.

would be nice to buy one with a roll bar not a cage, drive and play a bit and then decide what to commit to.

Turbo or V8 could always happen later, or I could sell it and not be out much of anything.

Forgot to mention I am kind of a TIG welding snob. Have seen way to many cars with premade cages installed by someone who looks like they rented a MIG for the 1st time and had at it.

Fabrication is an art, and artists deserve a decent wage.

Now if a nice set of brakes fall in my lap I will have to delay everything.

Last edited by blkbrd69; 10-15-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:21 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

I don't think there's much to get sucked into with SM. If you buy a competitive car it just needs rubber and brakes to survive. If SM Toyo contingencies are like CMC Toyo contingencies and you're so much as regionally fast, you'll live a cheap track life for sure. Does the slope get any more slippery than that with just a hint of self control?
Old 10-15-2015, 09:47 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

i'm going to disagree with you. in fact i know combustibles are cheap as hell. my tires (MAXXIS RC-1 245/40r15) cost 170 each. if i wanted i could run the hankook rs3 (225/45r15) and those can be found for 110 bucks each.

My pads last 4 events (total of 8 days) and can be found for $75
i have PFC rotors and they have lasted for the last 4 years (15 events a year)

Last edited by johnny c; 10-15-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:16 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Go for it! I have one that I race and I'm not afraid to admit it. I love hearing people say how they could never drive a 120 hp miata at the track. Then they get silent when they find out their 500 hp vette is turning slower laps.
Exactly! A miata will teach you momentum. All cars are momentum cars, some also add HP. You will also discover the proper line on any given track a lot sooner. Sometimes our high HP cars mask our mistakes.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:36 PM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I seem to remember us talking about this at a gas station on the way to Sebring last year, go for it !!!! and if I hear of one for rent /or sale I'll let you know.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:49 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I started road racing in an SCCA I.T.S. class Datsun 240 Z some 25 years ago. Relatively affordable and probably something similar in cost to a spec Miata with regard to consumables. Entry cost was actually less than a spec Miata as we built a top 5 SE Division car for about 6 K. (donor car and parts only).

About 10 years ago I got involved in racing the ASA/GTA types and glad I did. They are fast (approach 180 @ Daytona), fun with their relative light weight and big brakes plus forgiving with their sticky but predictable Hoosier bias stock car tires that cost about 600 per set.

If we didn't break anything we raced the ASA cars for about the same cost as the Datsun.

You can get pro built LS1 short blocks for 5 K, and the Jerico or G Force tranny's usually go about 3 seasons before being freshened. The quick change rear ends give infinite options for rear gearing and are pretty tough as well.

Very nice examples can be bought used for 20 -25 K and some needing a bit of work can be around 15-17.

Even the tube frame C6 in my Avatar is really pretty much a ASA/GTA type chassis with a Vette body. (it is currently apart, getting a 600 HP carbureted LS3 and the ALMS C6 type wide body)

Performance of a well driven example is usually superior to the old T1 C5's and 6's. (At least in the SE Div.)

My guess is the Miata will be fun for a while and the quickly get old. (Unless you move up to competitive National Spec Miata racing which can cost more than the ASA car.)

You might want to rent a spec Miata a couple times and see if it is for you.

Last edited by bosco022; 10-15-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:03 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 395 Posts

I have been buried in a high-powered track car project for way too long, and I have a couple of "nicer" Corvettes that I am not ready to put on track -- yet. I tried to separate drivers from track cars a long time ago. So, for fun, I bought a nice, inexpensive Ford Focus from a fellow CF member. The car was professionally built for the now defunct NASA Spec Focus class, complete with full cage, Sparco seat and belts, fire system, upgraded suspension and SVT brakes, etc. I updated the belts and window net and added a set of R7s (225/45/17) and went to the track. What a pleasant surprise - not super fast (4 cylinder Zetec), but handles very well which makes it quick. Cheap and fun, with the side benefit of more track familiarization time while prepping for something bigger and better down the road.

Pappy

Name:  Focus R7s.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  100.6 KB
Old 10-16-2015, 12:42 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

I suppose it really depends on the desired outcome. To simply drive ***** out as cheap as possible on a track? To be competitive in a TT class where only the 1 hero lap counts? Even so, it seems that an E36 M3 with minimal bolt ons would plant a much larger smile on one's face than a gutless Miata and wouldn't require a V8 swap to suck less, though the option still exists there. Perhaps the thread should have been titled talk me out of TT'ing something less awesome than a Corvette? Because there are lots of options out there that make more than 120hp and will still make you happy while being easier on consumables. I've driven and enjoyed gutless cars like that before, but they never put the smile on my face that my Z06 did. The CMC downgrade was rough at first for me (and I still plot to go to a faster class, but don't want to do so to suck), but I've learned a lot in that car as well. I did a track day with a friend in a street tire Lancer and was so so so unimpressed with it. The car had NO ***** and NO stick and when I got back into my Camaro with its whopping 260whp all of a sudden it ripped ***. The crazy thing? His Lancer feels sort of peppy and sticky on the street. It is a legitimately good street car, but on the track it just doesn't shine. Since the purpose of your proposed new vehicle is for that express purpose, I think you ought to consider that. I think Bosco's recommendation is spot on, try whatever you're considering buying on the track first.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:45 AM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Have you looked into spec E46? With E30's becoming fashionable, collectable, and harder to find, there has been a shift to start a new spec BMW class. A clean e30 costs as much or more as a newer e36 or e46 nowadays.

e46's are becoming very affordable and the spec class seems to have budget in mind. The e46 (m54 ~230hp) also has a bit more power than the older e36/e30 (m50/m52 ~170hp) m series motors.

spece46.com

Get notified of new replies

To Talk me out of a Miata. Or not ??

Old 10-16-2015, 03:56 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jesup16
Have you looked into spec E46? With E30's becoming fashionable, collectable, and harder to find, there has been a shift to start a new spec BMW class. A clean e30 costs as much or more as a newer e36 or e46 nowadays.

e46's are becoming very affordable and the spec class seems to have budget in mind. The e46 (m54 ~230hp) also has a bit more power than the older e36/e30 (m50/m52 ~170hp) m series motors.

spece46.com
to OP and forum in general: have you considered an e46? I've done a little 'internet research' and seems like a reasonable compromise between C6 and costs. As I'm getting to the safety crossroads of either going full out cage/etc., it's a debate to go with the C6 and stay in HDPE/TT or cheaper like Miata or other and get into W2W. From what I can read of the race threads, a race C6 at 40+K/yr is not in my budget but would be fun as TT maybe 4 -6 times a year and controlling the costs; while SM seems way to slow and can exceed 20K/yr to be top level competitive anyways. My budget is max 20K/yr and mildly wrecked 100K mi e46s are going for under 4K on coparts.com and require about 30K to fully build and lighten. That I can swallow as my budget for the year or two it will take me to build it. Naturally, I recognize that SM can teach a lot but would hope for a faster 'cheap' car to learn with. I know, can't have it 'both' ways cheap & fast.

Last edited by steve J06; 10-16-2015 at 03:59 PM. Reason: readability
Old 10-16-2015, 04:36 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by steve J06
to OP and forum in general: have you considered an e46? I've done a little 'internet research' and seems like a reasonable compromise between C6 and costs. As I'm getting to the safety crossroads of either going full out cage/etc., it's a debate to go with the C6 and stay in HDPE/TT or cheaper like Miata or other and get into W2W. From what I can read of the race threads, a race C6 at 40+K/yr is not in my budget but would be fun as TT maybe 4 -6 times a year and controlling the costs; while SM seems way to slow and can exceed 20K/yr to be top level competitive anyways. My budget is max 20K/yr and mildly wrecked 100K mi e46s are going for under 4K on coparts.com and require about 30K to fully build and lighten. That I can swallow as my budget for the year or two it will take me to build it. Naturally, I recognize that SM can teach a lot but would hope for a faster 'cheap' car to learn with. I know, can't have it 'both' ways cheap & fast.
Since you are in CA you have another option, Supermiata! That is the class I'm racing in and there are a handful of national champion racers and time trialers in the group and we are open with setup and data sharing. The rules keep costs much lower than spec miata because we run power to weight AND spec part/tires. We run on the Maxxis RC1 tires which run basically the same lap times from new to cords. $500/set with free shipping. No contingencies. The cars have simple aero consisting of a duck spoiler and front air dam. They make around 135 whp and under 2400 lbs with driver. You can get a car for $10k and the racing is cheap. We do standing starts and also invert the grids after the first race, which keeps all the cars closely packed and involved in the race. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://supermiata.com/supermiata/sup...s-regulations/

Old 10-18-2015, 08:45 PM
0BreathlessRacing
Former Vendor

Default Arrive and Drive!

Originally Posted by GT Racing Tires
Go for it!! Just stay away from the big tracks, Road America, Daytona, etc. Let me know if you find a rental/arrive and drive in Florida. The Wisconsin winters get long and I need a fix sometime in the winter.

We have an arrive and drive program! Currently have an Mx-5 built to Pirelli World Challenge TC Spec that placed 2nd in the Championship ready to go. We are also building another one right now.

We have a SM Miata ready to go as well. It has sat for a couple months but performed VERY well in its last outing.

If you want to go slower... We have a Pirelli World Challenge TCB Mazda 2 that placed third in the championship!

We have a multitude of cars ready to be rented for full seasons in the PWC or the Trans-Am series...or for local track days!

PM me or shoot me and email! austin@breathlessracing.com
The following users liked this post:
Johnny C @ OG (10-19-2015)

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a Miata. Or not ??