Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z51 rotor on C5 Z06, anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 06:58 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Default C6 Z51 rotor on C5 Z06, anyone done it?

What's needed?

Pad abutment bracket and the rotor? Seeing as C5 and base C6 stuff interchange it should be a direct swap.

Are the rear brakes on a Z51 C6 the same as a C5?

If you do the swap will it upset anything in the brake balance dept?

Any info? I did a search, nothing.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:08 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

I found this, https://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10150-01

Doesn't the C6 have a different rear caliper piston size?
Old 10-17-2015, 12:16 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Yes it does. So to properly mimic the C6 Z51 you need rotors, caliper brackets, and rear calipers as you've already identified.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:13 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

[/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Yes it does. So to properly mimic the C6 Z51 you need rotors, caliper brackets, and rear calipers as you've already identified.
don't go that route the C6 calipers are better but not enough they will eventually spread (bottom or open side wider than at the bridge) when that happens pads last about one session.
the best bang for the buck is a Wilwood Aero setup forum vendor TCE (Todd) can get you hooked up with a kit or just the brackets and calipers
give him a call
Old 10-19-2015, 05:30 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

So, My front C5 Calipers will work, I need front and rear abutment brackets and the C6 rear caliper?

Is the master cylinder the same?

I won't need a BBK for a while, I am just looking to get more rotor life. And in theory, with a bigger rotor it requires less pedal pressure to slow the car, in turn less chance of spreading the caliper.

EDIT

Are the brake pads the same or?
Old 10-19-2015, 10:18 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can run the C5 calipers front and rear, I have that setup on my car and it's fine. The bias is effectively changed to be a tiny bit more rear brake than stock but it is not noticeable. All you need are rotors and brackets. The calipers, lines, and pads are all the same.

Centric blanks are the best bang for the buck, last I checked they are around $400 a set for C6Z51 sizes.

One important note: 17" wheels won't fit over the front calipers if you use C5 calipers with C6Z51 brackets. The little fins that are on the C5 calipers will hit the wheel. You have to either use C6 calipers or grind down the fins on your C5 calipers like so:

18" rear C5Z06 wheel over C5 calipers + C6Z51 rotors:

17" front C5Z06 wheel over same with ground caliper:

Here's the clearance looking from behind the wheel:

Old 10-19-2015, 11:04 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

I will run 18's.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:19 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

If you run front calipers out back, you'll lose the e brake. In lieu of grabbing the Z51 rear calipers, you could just run 2 lower out back instead of 1 lower pad, i.e. switch from an XP10/8 combo to an XP12/8. Or you could just lean on the active bias to do its thing and see how you like it with the same rear caliper and F/R pad combo.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:33 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

we where finding due to the lack of rear bias on c5's that the stock c5 front and Z51 rear package was an easy way to gain the balance back. that was used with a square pads set up.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:58 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
You can run the C5 calipers front and rear, I have that setup on my car and it's fine. The bias is effectively changed to be a tiny bit more rear brake than stock but it is not noticeable. All you need are rotors and brackets. The calipers, lines, and pads are all the same.

Centric blanks are the best bang for the buck, last I checked they are around $400 a set for C6Z51 sizes.

One important note: 17" wheels won't fit over the front calipers if you use C5 calipers with C6Z51 brackets. The little fins that are on the C5 calipers will hit the wheel. You have to either use C6 calipers or grind down the fins on your C5 calipers like so:

18" rear C5Z06 wheel over C5 calipers + C6Z51 rotors:

17" front C5Z06 wheel over same with ground caliper:

Here's the clearance looking from behind the wheel:

Are you saying that the C6 caliper will fit the 17 " C5Z rim without grinding?

How much bigger is the C6 Z51 rotor?

I assume this needs a change in PAB correct?
Old 10-21-2015, 03:27 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

i wouldn't grind a caliper like that. easy way to add drag into a system.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:56 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Yeah the C6 front caliper (and I think the Wilwood caliper that fits on C6Z51 rotors) fits just barely under the 17's without modification.

C6Z51 is around 13.4" front 13" rear vs 12.8" front 12" rear for C5's and base C6's.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:46 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

First of, I'd not recommend the C6Z51 rotors anyway. Where the C5's are directionally vaned the C6's are not. And while bigger it's not a huge amount. Also C5 rotors are cheap for good ones you can beat on without costing you a fortune.

And last week I put a set of Wilwood calipers on a C5 with stock rotors. The result was awesome, because it fixes the big problem with the brakes, which are the calipers. All those big long two piston calipers result in taper wear, and don't squeeze the rotors nearly as effectively as a real opposed piston caliper.

Front, red... they also come in black. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=32&ModelID=11

Rear, red... also come in black too. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=32&ModelID=11

The results were huge, even on the street with the supplied BP10 pads. A super firm pedal, better than my C6Z in fact. And it all bolted on perfectly. Hard to beat real calipers you can use with inexpensive, directionally vaned brake rotors.

All you STU guys, might want to think about these. I was planning on it before I sold my C5, and now that I've driven them. Wow, it's a big difference over the goofy sliding calipers.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:21 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

That's the first I've heard of those kits. Before today I'd never seen a kit for the rears (on the stock 12" rotors) and the only front kit I'd seen (for the stock 12.8" rotors) is the SL6-based one that is ~$1500. Are they new or just never advertised?

I went C6Z51-sized rotors in anticipation of swapping calipers to the wilwood kits I did know existed - FSL6 front and FNSL4 rears at ~$2000 for the pair. In hindsight I'd have gone straight to the SLC56's and kept stock sized rotors.

FWIW, though, the regular Centric "premium" blank C6Z51-sized rotors are supposed to have directional vanes and are cheap. I decided to give more expensive rotors a try and went for the DBA T3's which have their own funky ventilation system and are made in australia instead of china. I don't know if they were worth the extra money though, they cost double the price of Centrics. In any case I would skip the OEM C6Z51 rotors.

Last edited by troyguitar; 10-22-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:29 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Below is a link to the Wilwood options for fronts and rears. I have an SL-6 kit up front with stock rotors and the 140-8032 rear kit. Most folks recommend leaving the back stock, but I noticed a big difference in performance and pad/rotor life with both upgrades (did one axle at a time). The rear kit uses 12.8" rotors, similar in size to the front but maintaining the parking brake (not swapable front to back on rotors, but I do swap front to back on pads).

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...on=C-5+%26+Z06
Old 10-22-2015, 09:35 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
First of, I'd not recommend the C6Z51 rotors anyway. Where the C5's are directionally vaned the C6's are not. And while bigger it's not a huge amount. Also C5 rotors are cheap for good ones you can beat on without costing you a fortune.

And last week I put a set of Wilwood calipers on a C5 with stock rotors. The result was awesome, because it fixes the big problem with the brakes, which are the calipers. All those big long two piston calipers result in taper wear, and don't squeeze the rotors nearly as effectively as a real opposed piston caliper.

Front, red... they also come in black. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=32&ModelID=11

Rear, red... also come in black too. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=32&ModelID=11

The results were huge, even on the street with the supplied BP10 pads. A super firm pedal, better than my C6Z in fact. And it all bolted on perfectly. Hard to beat real calipers you can use with inexpensive, directionally vaned brake rotors.

Are these new? Hadn't heard of them before. Is the pad a standard size for different pad manufacturers? Need spacers for a 17" Front wheel either Z06 or basic C5 offsets?
Old 10-23-2015, 10:29 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
Are these new? Hadn't heard of them before. Is the pad a standard size for different pad manufacturers? Need spacers for a 17" Front wheel either Z06 or basic C5 offsets?

These were released a couple months ago. A nice touch for the DD user for sure.

They are targeted at the Hot-Rod crowd mainly who are using Corvette front suspension. They will of course work on the stock rotors with a Vette. In fairness they are a nice addition to the car but they are not a heavy duty race application- but not everyone races their car... we get that. If however your old factory parts are worn and you'll looking for some improvements in feel, easy pad changes, new ss hoses...it's a great option!

We posted about them not long ago in all the Vendor sections.

They are available right now right off our home page.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 10-23-2015 at 06:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z51 rotor on C5 Z06, anyone done it?

Old 10-23-2015, 01:42 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
Fit by a mile without any spacers on a Z06 with stock wheels. I think they'd also fit a standard C5 wheel also but Wilwood has fitment templates to make sure.

Troy. I carry DBA also, when looking for... well about anything, hit me up first. You've been here, you know we're "quaint", no big fancy site, etc..... but I have lots and lot of stuff available and the pricing is generally very good too.

No, they aren't full bore race calipers, but a HELL of a lot better than the stock stuff. And great for the needs most folks have like street, HPDE, autox.

Pads are cheap, rotors are cheap... And having driven them it's a big improvement.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Torch FRC
Safety Car

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

All you STU guys, might want to think about these. I was planning on it before I sold my C5, and now that I've driven them. Wow, it's a big difference over the goofy sliding calipers.

Nice product
Old 10-24-2015, 03:16 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Fit by a mile without any spacers on a Z06 with stock wheels. I think they'd also fit a standard C5 wheel also but Wilwood has fitment templates to make sure.

Troy. I carry DBA also, when looking for... well about anything, hit me up first. You've been here, you know we're "quaint", no big fancy site, etc..... but I have lots and lot of stuff available and the pricing is generally very good too.

No, they aren't full bore race calipers, but a HELL of a lot better than the stock stuff. And great for the needs most folks have like street, HPDE, autox.

Pads are cheap, rotors are cheap... And having driven them it's a big improvement.
I know, this stuff I'm talking about having bought is all stuff that I bought long before I met you or even tried autox - that's why I have all of the "wrong" stuff on my car. I haven't changed anything on the car but the oil and alignment since I got the shocks from you earlier this year, will give you a call when the next round of winter changes happens.

I'm leaning toward trying the new wilwoods myself - cheap rotors and significantly less weight than the C6Z51 setup sounds good since I'm no longer doing much track stuff.

Quick Reply: C6 Z51 rotor on C5 Z06, anyone done it?