Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment going out of wack after braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 01:00 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Alignment going out of wack after braking

Would post this in C5 tech but that forum seems to only be helpful these days you're interested in adding HIDs or don't know how to check CEL codes.

2002 C5 Z06 - Got wheel aligned about a month ago, noticed yesterday after leaving work that my steering wheel was no longer centered with the car going straight, it was about 10 degrees to the left. Upon making a right turn, it went back to being centered. Then on braking it goes off center again until my next right turn. Haven't had a chance to take a peek under the car although I did jack it up yesterday night and tried to feel for any wiggle in the wheels and everything seemed normal. I'm assuming it's just going to be an alignment bolt that came loose and shifting around with the lateral load from right turns and under braking but open to suggestions as to other things I should inspect when I go under tonight. I didn't see any of the wheels looking too strange when I pulled over yesterday on the way home.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:27 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Check the upper and lower a-arm bushings. They like to walk which messes with the alignment.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:29 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Take it back to alignment shop and put it on the rack. Don't let the tech tell you it is something worn out and not his fault. If he does, tell him he should have noticed and not charged you for an alignment until repaired. Let him show you the problem. Maybe it simply came loose and he will own up to it.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone know Firestone still has a lifetime alignment option? Depending on how aggressive you need that might be an option for you and a lot of C5 owners
Old 10-22-2015, 03:40 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
Does anyone know Firestone still has a lifetime alignment option? Depending on how aggressive you need that might be an option for you and a lot of C5 owners
Yep, I have the lifetime alignment. And my local firestones will do custom specs. So I'm definitely going to go back but I want to take a look for anything amiss before I do.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:52 PM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

As you say, sounds like one of the cam bolts on a front LCA is slipping.

If you figure out which one is loose you can jack up that corner, adjust it to mirror the other side of the car and torque it down. Then drive to the alignment shop to get things actually fixed.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

Squishy control arm bushing?
Old 10-22-2015, 04:50 PM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Factory spec's on torque for LCA bolts are somewhat "light". What wtb-z said, I'd start there.

I've heard track and autocross guys have slipped their bolts during events, too.

AFAIK, you can tighten those bolts beyond factory torque spec's with no or little ill effects, except that it might be a pain to loosen them for the next alignment.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:04 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by wtb-z
That would be my 1st guess also.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:17 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jesup16
Factory spec's on torque for LCA bolts are somewhat "light". What wtb-z said, I'd start there.

I've heard track and autocross guys have slipped their bolts during events, too.

AFAIK, you can tighten those bolts beyond factory torque spec's with no or little ill effects, except that it might be a pain to loosen them for the next alignment.
Had a corner balance and alignment done at Phoenix and they told me the same thing regarding the LCA bolts.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:18 PM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jesup16

When a torque wrench has been used, I have never had an issue with the factory torque spec on 100-200TW tires.

The problems always have been when the alignment guy doesn't use a torque wrench and the bolts are set to a mystery value. And then I got the same issues as the OP.

It is a pain to badger alignment guys into using a torque wrench, but it is even worse to have the bolt slip later - although I always mark them now.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:26 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by wtb-z

If you figure out which one is loose you can jack up that corner, adjust it to mirror the other side of the car and torque it down. Then drive to the alignment shop to get things actually fixed.
That's more than the bushings moving around. wtb-z is mostly likely dead on. Folks never seem to get things tight enough, seen more slipped cam/eccentrics than I could shake a stick at. I'm 100% sure that's what you'll find happened.

Next time have them mark the cam bolt to the cradles and tighten the hell out of them. Screw GM spec, not enough.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:19 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

OTOH, that's why the serious racers use solid blocks and not the eccentrics. You can buy them or make them.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:00 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Mine don't slip. No car I've aligned does. It's not rocket science.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:31 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I would tend to agree with the others....probably a cam bolt that isn't tight on a control arm.

Could be one of the bushings in the rack is broken or it could be loose, but I figured you would have seen that when you had the car up in the air...but if the rack isn't tight it will do that....as would the bolt holding the steering shaft into the rack if it isn't tight too.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:45 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
That's more than the bushings moving around. wtb-z is mostly likely dead on. Folks never seem to get things tight enough, seen more slipped cam/eccentrics than I could shake a stick at. I'm 100% sure that's what you'll find happened.

Next time have them mark the cam bolt to the cradles and tighten the hell out of them. Screw GM spec, not enough.
What is the torque number you'd recommend, especially for track use with R compound rubber??
Old 10-24-2015, 01:15 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Cam bolt on left rear control arm was very loose, everything else looked good. Off for alignment in the morning.

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment going out of wack after braking

Old 10-24-2015, 09:55 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Take a black sharpie and mark your eccentrics to make sure they don't move.

I marked all of mine.

Also torqued them all to 100 Ft Lbs
Old 10-24-2015, 10:58 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by onspeed
Cam bolt on left rear control arm was very loose, everything else looked good. Off for alignment in the morning.
That could do it...the rear only has one bolt and changing that does change toe as well. That would cause it to rear steer to some degree and make you change steering input to keep the car straight...

If it was very loose....that could have been more than a handful on track or at speed.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:03 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My fronts were slipping at 105 ft-lbs, they do not slip at 130.

Quick Reply: Alignment going out of wack after braking