Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flexible seat belt receiver

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 05:02 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Flexible seat belt receiver

I'm installing Corbeau race seats in my C5, and while I'll have my 6pt harnesses for the track, I need to keep my factory 3pt for the street. The obvious concern that comes up though is that often the position of the factory seat belt is impacted by the higher sides of a race seat and the belt no longer sits across your pelvic bone.

So 2 questions:

1) Anyone ever explorer a flexible receiver end (like the old school lap belts) that you could route through the side hole in the race seat? (This would allow the belt to fit against your body rather than coming over the edge of the seat). I found in an older thread where someone modified the seat belt receiver from an old van to work with the Corvette seat belt. The trick would be finding a receiver end that matches the Corvette seat belt and has a flexible end rather than the rigid metal end that the corvette has. (Hopefully this explanation makes sense).

2) I've seen several instances where people routed the door side of the seat belt through the side of the race seat. I'm curious how this was managed? Both ends of the seat belt have a retractor so I'm not sure how you could pass that through the opening in the seat. ??

Open to thoughts and suggestions.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:48 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

The retractors will fit through some race seat pass throughs. As for the inner lap belt I have seen some people place them so they can be pulled through the seat pass through when they want to wear the stock belts.

Bill
Old 10-27-2015, 10:47 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Yea, i toyed with the idea of trying to route the stock receiver through the side opening but it's too rigid and puts it at a weird angle. A flexible receiver would be really easy if I could find one that had the right end. How universal are the buckle ends?

Anyone know if one of the retractors is smaller than the other? (upper vs lower). Before I go through a bunch of work, has anyone had success getting a retractor through the side opening of a Corbeau FX1?
Old 10-27-2015, 01:14 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Here is the thread I was referencing about modifying the factory seat belt receiver. See post 25 on page 2. If nothing else, it's a good reference for what the internals of the factory receiver look like.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...atbelts-2.html

Just from initial research, it appears the C5 buckle is unique somehow. I did find several companies that make a seat belt extension though. That might work depending on exactly where I could mount the factory receiver.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:29 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm tall and thin, and even with the stock seat in the lowest position, the belt still isn't completely across my pelvic bone. It's dangerous and a bad design if you ask me. I think a flexible receiver would be a good thing even for people with stock seats.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:56 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

I agree. I'm thin also and noticed the same thing with my stock seats, that the receiver end does not actually touch me.

Several companies make seat belt extenders, which would be perfect if instead of the tongue end they had a mounting tab.

Not sure if I could buy one of the seat belt extenders, cut off the tongue end, and then loop it through a mounting tab like you'd use for your harnesses. Not sure if there would be enough length.

Get notified of new replies

To Flexible seat belt receiver

Quick Reply: Flexible seat belt receiver