Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing all HVAC - part 2

Old 10-26-2015, 09:42 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Removing all HVAC - part 2

I didn't want to hijack a similar posting, so here is mine with a related discussion:

I run a 1993 C4, with stock LT1. It still has all stock HVAC equipment, which obviously consumes a lot of space under the hood, and contributes to some discretionary weight.

I have kept the car street able, and enjoy having the AC for that purpose.

But, how much potential better performance do I waive by retaining the equipment? What are the specific advantages of removing it?
Old 10-27-2015, 08:58 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by emptnest
I didn't want to hijack a similar posting, so here is mine with a related discussion:

I run a 1993 C4, with stock LT1. It still has all stock HVAC equipment, which obviously consumes a lot of space under the hood, and contributes to some discretionary weight.

But, how much potential better performance do I waive by retaining the equipment? What are the specific advantages of removing it?
None and None.

Are you driving at the very ultimate limit of the car? If yes then get a new car, else enjoy and don't trash an otherwise good car.

Extra space under the hood will not contribute to a faster lap time and the few #'s is meaningless iMHO.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emptnest

With a curb weight of 3300 pounds and 300 HP, every 11 pounds you remove is like adding one horsepower. Gutting the entire HVAC system is a lot of work. Removing the compressor and the condensor from in front of the radiator gives you a slight weight reduction, better air flow over the radiator and is easily reversible, assuming you properly plug the ports.

Plus, the heater core housing, which takes the most room, also serves as a mount for the radiator expansion tank. So if you get rid of it, a bracket would have to be fabricated along with a cover so you'd give back some of the weight.

My 00.02 USD,
Old 10-27-2015, 12:19 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't do it if you plan on still driving the car on the street, not worth it.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:35 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are racing wheel to wheel and want to be the next national champion, take it out. Every .01 second counts and that extra 10HP equivalent will help you get it. If not, the only thing you are likely to notice is a much more hot and stuffy car. Side note, this comes from a guy who just ripped out his radio for weight savings. Haven't noticed the difference yet on track, but I did end up buying a blue tooth speaker to keep rocking out on way to track .
Old 10-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 94 that and have thought about doing the same thing, but concluded for the 20-30lbs, ok take out the WORKING ac, and get another 20 lbs, its just not worth it. If your driving it on the street at all, you at least need a fan to act as a defroster. But if your going to completely gut/cage the car removing all carpet, door panels, dash, etc, then sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing all HVAC - part 2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing all HVAC - part 2